Expensive, but may be worth it!

crewchief227

Needle-chuck Ninja
Ok for a long time because of lidless airbrushes like the 1/8th oz cup on my SB, I have just been cutting the heads off qtips, and using those as a stir stick. Or I shake the cup without a lid on my C+, and it gets the job done ok. I don't back flush, not gonna get the Badger electric stir thing. But, something I might think of getting is one of these:

Laboratory Vortex Mixer Lab Orbital Shaker 6mm Diameter with Touch and Continuous Modes Speed 0-3000rpm Vortexing Model Fast Mixes 50 Milliliters of Liquid Volume in 3 Seconds or Less 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGZTCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wXXHBb4DVKH8M

These are those lab vibrating mixers they touch test tubes to give them a quick shake. As you can see not cheap, but they do have intensity adjustment. Think of it, you can mix up any brush just by touching it to the pad. You can crank it up for HVLP guns that have metal cups like my W101. Oh what a joyous world it would be. Lol

So, anybody here tried this yet?

I just use a soft bristled paint brush... been doing it for a long, long time... same brush gets used when it is time to clean out the color cup.

if you dont have lids for the brushes all you'll wind up doing is throwing paint everywhere. If you're just worried about mixing what is in the cup then learn to backflush, with the larger volume cups you'll likely need to do it as you go anyway as some colours/brands have a tendancy to seperate if not used quickly.

I can definately see the advantages for mixing the bottles of paint, especially if they have been sitting for awhile, but the one you have linked is only good for under bottles with a volume of 50ml (1.7oz) or less

Backflush for paint in the airbrush and a metal "tamiya stir stick'' for my bottles.

if you dont have lids for the brushes all you'll wind up doing is throwing paint everywhere. If you're just worried about mixing what is in the cup then learn to backflush, with the larger volume cups you'll likely need to do it as you go anyway as some colours/brands have a tendancy to seperate if not used quickly.

I can definately see the advantages for mixing the bottles of paint, especially if they have been sitting for awhile, but the one you have linked is only good for under bottles with a volume of 50ml (1.7oz) or less

Backflush for paint in the airbrush and a metal "tamiya stir stick'' for my bottles.
I know how to back flush, I don't like it cause it just have the tiniest paint splatters on my shirts from bubbles popping, and I pretty good at just swirling it with a flick of my wrist. But these aren't just vibrators that would throw the paint outa the cup. They're called vortex shakers for a reason, cause like my wrist flicking, they vibrate in a oscillating pattern that causes it to swirl whatever it's mixing. I know these are lab ones meant for test tubes, and not airbrush specific, but this whole thought started on the premise of inventing an airbrush specific model.

Ok for a long time because of lidless airbrushes like the 1/8th oz cup on my SB, I have just been cutting the heads off qtips, and using those as a stir stick. Or I shake the cup without a lid on my C+, and it gets the job done ok. I don't back flush, not gonna get the Badger electric stir thing. But, something I might think of getting is one of these:

Laboratory Vortex Mixer Lab Orbital Shaker 6mm Diameter with Touch and Continuous Modes Speed 0-3000rpm Vortexing Model Fast Mixes 50 Milliliters of Liquid Volume in 3 Seconds or Less 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGZTCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wXXHBb4DVKH8M

These are those lab vibrating mixers they touch test tubes to give them a quick shake. As you can see not cheap, but they do have intensity adjustment. Think of it, you can mix up any brush just by touching it to the pad. You can crank it up for HVLP guns that have metal cups like my W101. Oh what a joyous world it would be. Lol

So, anybody here tried this yet?

i am a scientist. so i had access to a vortexer, it's a trade name. i tired and it really doesn't work well without putting the paint into a conical tube. at work we use 15ml and 50ml or 1.5ml eppendorf tubes that all come down to a point. without that point or cone shape, the vortexer won't work very well. if you want to try, go on ebay and buy a used vortexer for $20 and let me know what you think.
zonker

I know how to back flush, I don't like it cause it just have the tiniest paint splatters on my shirts from bubbles popping, and I pretty good at just swirling it with a flick of my wrist. But these aren't just vibrators that would throw the paint outa the cup. They're called vortex shakers for a reason, cause like my wrist flicking, they vibrate in a oscillating pattern that causes it to swirl whatever it's mixing. I know these are lab ones meant for test tubes, and not airbrush specific, but this whole thought started on the premise of inventing an airbrush specific model.

I hear what you are saying with the paint splatter from the bubbles, if you are getting large bubbles then i'd suggest your paint is likely a little to thick, or if you are having bubbles threatening to overflow the cup then you've backflushed to long/overfilled the cup.
As a side note, many artists commonly have an old shirt/tshirt for this very reason. I've an old tshirt and an old windcheater for winter for this very reason

Brian's suggestion of hitting up ebay for a used one sounds like a good idea.

i am a scientist. so i had access to a vortexer, it's a trade name. i tired and it really doesn't work well without putting the paint into a conical tube. at work we use 15ml and 50ml or 1.5ml eppendorf tubes that all come down to a point. without that point or cone shape, the vortexer won't work very well. if you want to try, go on ebay and buy a used vortexer for $20 and let me know what you think.
zonker
Ah that's too bad. Oh well looks like I should stick to what works for me, and not reinvent the wheel. Lol

I use toothpick to mix paint in the cup, when it's mixed I backflush a little to get the color back from the pipe in to the mix. -.-

Back