For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Finally trying an actual face

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by SiRoxx, Sep 21, 2019.

1. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Hey Everybody,
    I was watching the Cory Saint Claire Monochrome Painting video from Coast Airbrush Tv and surprisingly I got inspired to give it a try. The reason I say “surprisingly” is that when I began learning to airbrush the most I thought I’d be doing was using multi layer stencils. Very early on in being a member of this forum I was inspired to try for more than that. Anyways, here’s my current attempt. I have made some schoolboy errors already, but I’ll see it through until the end anyhow.
    Colour is a mix of Candy2o aiming for a kind of Root Beer colour.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    That’s where I’m at so far.
    As usual I’m having a lot of trouble getting a nice flow with the Candy2o.
    It’s currently mixed with Transparent base and reduced with a new bottle of 4012, I’m trying more reduction, less reduction, lower pressure and I just can’t get a nice predictable flow. Last go will be to raise the pressure and go with a slightly thicker mix. I am letting the paint sit for 10 mins after mixing too.
    Either way I’m going to keep at it, just don’t expect quick progress lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

That is coming along nicely and I know the reference so killer start.
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  3. SiRoxx

Thanks Buddy. I’m finding it a challenge for sure, but I’m pleased to be at least trying it.

jord001 and Mr.Micron like this.
  4. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Looks great! Glad you took the plunge into portraits
  5. SiRoxx

Thanks Franc. I’m not shooting for photo real obviously, but I like the semi real, stylised look.

jord001 likes this.
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Congrats on your first!
    You're doing well, just from the start!:thumbsup: I wonder what the end result is going to be. My bet is no bad at all;)
    When painting this you should think over how to save it for the future generations (and/as the first portrait produced by you)!:)
    It's fun to look at the first work over the years.

Why have jumped into the trouble of painting with waterbased? Urethanes would work great for you.
  7. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Give the 4011 a try. It tends to not shock the system as much as the 4012. It is why they brought it back. A few of the "big" names are using it for candies now. And as soon as my bottle gets here I am getting back to using it for illustration colors as well. Good Work

Ironically when i started I had no plans to do anything but some stencil work myself as well! Amazing how that can happen!
  8. SiRoxx

Thank you Buddy! I appreciate the confidence in me Vlad. I thought I’d try the water based again as the Urethanes are getting harder to come by. I hope that it will be one to look back on in the future.

jord001 and Vladimir like this.
  9. SiRoxx

You’re the man Bill. I looked for 4011 from a couple different suppliers, but it wasn’t available. I think the U.K. is a little slower responding that the US. But I will be picking up sole 4011 as soon as I can get it here. Thanks for the kind words Buddy.

jord001 likes this.
  10. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Hey My buddy over there has been purchasing the butoxyethanol 2 and mixing his own.. I can see what ratio he settled on. He told me reducer was crazy expensive over there... which I buy by the quart / liter bottle here and it is way cheaper. The butoxyethanol is the main active ingredient. He was able to get that easily there I think in just a day or two. I was looking at doing the same at one time... but once I started buying quarts, at about 25 dollars a quart it wasnt worth my time. And usually I just buy full quarts whenever I am doing an auto project and have enough for my art all the time that way.
    jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  11. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Ohh And I should also mention, this was the place I got my inspiration to learn art as well. So our paths started pretty much the same. Less than 6 years ago i never imagined this would be my path in life.
  12. Mr.Micron

I just use the 4020 reducer only and so far I have never had the candy seed on me. 4011 and 4012 I have had seed the candy on me and both of them bottle came straight from Createx due to them and me deciding it may have been a bad batch. But it seems what works for some on their reducers does not work for all.
  13. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Does seem to be heavily influenced depending on humidity and geographical location.. Like I live in Tn, and its been 100 degrees here. I have run out to Missouri and oklohoma and done work and paints behave a bit differently so I have to adjust quite a bit. I have not had the candy seed on me often. But I do notice a huge difference in tip dry between the 3. Then again you are a ways north of me, and probably much much lower humidity.
  14. SiRoxx

It’s true that it can be expensive over here. Another member broke down the chemical make up of their reducers a little while ago but I never got around to trying to make it myself. I should probably give it a go.
    That’s cool to know that we have a similar back story too. Funny how life turns out sometimes.

jord001 and Nada like this.
  15. SiRoxx

I often go back to your video of mixing candy just to double check I’ve got the order correct. I don’t seem to have a problem with seeding using 4012 or 4020 over here. Just that the Candy2o seems to tip dry in seconds if I’m using it for detail rather than just wide coverage.
    I did see Craig Fraser in a video for Createx explain their airbrush cleaner can also be used as a super mild reducer. I haven’t played with that yet, but maybe it’ll be worth giving it a shot. Can’t hurt to experiment!

jord001 likes this.
  16. SiRoxx

It is crazy how the atmosphere makes such a huge difference. Geography seems to have more to do with reducing water base than people realise.

jord001 likes this.
  17. Mr.Micron

Nope on the humidity being lower , We have been in the 100's with heat indexes around 110 115 area . While we aren't as humid as say Houston Texas most of this summer we have been sitting around 60% humidity .
    Depending on the area in Ok depends on the humidity , Way out west side around Lawton it is lower but the temps are higher. But being waterbased humidity highly effects how the paint reacts. But like for today here where I am the humidity is 56% where as in Nashville Tn it is 47% that is according to the weather channel .
  18. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

yeah if you look around here, you can easily see my horrid early works

This place was a huge help to me
  19. SiRoxx

I will have a dig round. It does help to remind myself that the work I respect came from somebody who was once a learner too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    jord001 and Nada like this.
  20. Mr.Micron

According to Craig Fraser every piece is just practice for the next one and we are all learning with each piece.
    Dimitris, SiRoxx and Nada like this.