First attempt at my own custom handle

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Inspired by Daves carved handles I decided to try one of my own. This one i CNC'd onto a junk handle using a line drawing of a dragon i manually filled with gradients in order to produce a depthmap.
A lot of little things to figure out still. It didnt have quite the contrast I was hoping for so i sprayed with black lacquer then rubbed with acetone to remove the high spots. Finally started to build an epoxy layer and decided it wasnt worth completely finishing because i could do much better with some tweaks. I did learn a lot, trying to carve coin like images onto a rounded complex curve is not easy on CNC.

Next I intend to try some Of @Visual Realm s skulls piled together on a decent handle. They seem easy enough for me to make decent depth maps from. He was good enough to give permission. If its semi successful then I'll send it to him.

0725180008.jpg 0725180008a.jpg 0725180009.jpg

excellent result. Are there 2 dragons, 1 on each side?
Yeah i put them kind of head to head so that they are upright and have their heads toward the front whether you hold it in your right or left hand.
Theres also a 1.5mm strip running lengthwise between them on top and bottom that i just realized you cant see in the pics.

I wonder what you'll come up with in your next attempts:)
At the first glance at this handle (first photo) I saw an eagleo_O:)

I think using any resins or paint materials on the handle isn't good enough, as cleaning the handle with the chemicals, one would end up with bare metal:)

Inspired by Daves carved handles I decided to try one of my own. This one i CNC'd onto a junk handle using a line drawing of a dragon i manually filled with gradients in order to produce a depthmap.
A lot of little things to figure out still. It didnt have quite the contrast I was hoping for so i sprayed with black lacquer then rubbed with acetone to remove the high spots. Finally started to build an epoxy layer and decided it wasnt worth completely finishing because i could do much better with some tweaks. I did learn a lot, trying to carve coin like images onto a rounded complex curve is not easy on CNC.

Next I intend to try some Of @Visual Realm s skulls piled together on a decent handle. They seem easy enough for me to make decent depth maps from. He was good enough to give permission. If its semi successful then I'll send it to him.

View attachment 56059 View attachment 56060 View attachment 56061

Looks awesome!! So much good stuff happening at the moment

Thanks @JackEb . Wasnt sure if i should include the pics full size bc the easiest way for me to view them large is when left as attachments but thats probably not so for folks using a phone.
LOL, I think a lot of folks use there phones/tablets so sometimes it’s easier full size to see what’s going on.
You know you had me at Dragons.

It would be really awesome if you and Dave could come up with a unique OAF handle that is exclusive to OAF members, just a thought :)

I wonder what you'll come up with in your next attempts:)
At the first glance at this handle (first photo) I saw an eagleo_O:)

I think using any resins or paint materials on the handle isn't good enough, as cleaning the handle with the chemicals, one would end up with bare metal:)
Id like to do one , or several with vitreous enamel, for that reason.
Which would need to be brass to accept the glass
I'll have to see if dave would make some brass blanks....I cant thread stuff
Id love to use stainless....but id have to do some mods to my machine to make it much more rigid.
It chatters like toy teeth on stainless

Last edited:
Id like to do one , or several with vitreous enamel, for that reason.
Which would need to be brass to accept the glass
I'll have to see if dave would make some brass blanks....I cant thread stuff
Id love to use stainless....but id have to do some mods to my machine to make it much more rigid.
It chatters like toy teeth on stainless

Does your CNC rotate like a 4 axis machine? Is it a hobby setup or ?

That's interesting to see:)

Do they make irregular size threads on the handle?
Yeah I dont think theyre anything standard, @DaveG would be who to ask that. Custom taps or dies are a fortune. I could buy some single form thread mills and do whatever i want with them but I havent got around to that, plus I know id easily break a few at this size.

Does your CNC rotate like a 4 axis machine? Is it a hobby setup or ?
The one at home is a 4 axis 6040. Id have to add another linear bearing to the y axis and cut stiffer arms for the gantry to make it rigid enough for stainless. Possibly upgrade the spindle depending on how big a piece i want to work on.

The one at home is a 4 axis 6040. Id have to add another linear bearing to the y axis and cut stiffer arms for the gantry to make it rigid enough for stainless. Possibly upgrade the spindle depending on how big a piece i want to work on.
I put this into Google translate, but it came out exactly the same lol. Me no understandy techy talk....but how cool is the idea of custom handles.

Back