Flakes, pearls and other expensive dust!!! or ... ???

I watched this video at the weekend. They do have some good content on their channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I like about the vids is that they are normal people doing the job in a real paint shop, swearing, taking the piss and everything else.

Thinking about going up the garage and taking a pic of my spray guns now.. Its been a while since I looked at them.

Lee

I think I have watched everyone of Matt's videos, Spoke to him a few times to ask questions and he was quite happy to answer. The videos made me laugh most of the time and I learned quite a few things from them too.

Lee

Yeah, that guy is funny, free tutorial of bad English he does:) It's great to look the process done just in the booth with all the comments:thumbsup:

This is what I have tucked away for some time in the future..

I've had these probably about 3 years, actually im not surre but its been a good while, thankfully they dont go out of date.

Lee

The same's here. Some of mine only a year old, some fresh. For future use without expiration date.

I watched this video at the weekend. They do have some good content on their channel.

There's always smth to learn!
Another good channel. The guy has his technique and style!

https://www.youtube.com/user/westcoastryder562/videos

Yeah, that guy is funny, free tutorial of bad English he does:) It's great to look the process done just in the booth with all the comments:thumbsup:

The same's here. Some of mine only a year old, some fresh. For future use without expiration date.

There's always smth to learn!
Another good channel. The guy has his technique and style!

https://www.youtube.com/user/westcoastryder562/videos
Thanks for the link. I’ve just subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the custom paint jobs is using different pigments that give very attractive effects to the object of custom work. These pigments are flakes, pearls, chameleons, fluorescent and other pigments. All of them have their own way of application, that require different techniques and tools.

In other threads effect paints sometimes are mentioned, but it would be great to have special thread for discussion of the topics related with the pigments used for custom jobs.

Recently we’ve discussed the flakes and tool for their application and we’ve seen there’s an interest in this topic, so time for the discussion has come, that’s why this thread has been launched.

Wet or dry application, quantity of the pigments, viscosity of the mix, temperatures, distances to the surface etc, all mentioned features are important to know for using custom made paints.

Some of you already have the experience in using mentioned (and not mentioned) effects pigments, so it would great if you’d share your experience.

I already have many types of the pigments, but only tried some peals and chameleon. Used them in liquid state (like random paint), the paint was ready to use, I didn't prepare it.
So I also interested in growing of the knowledge of custom paint preparation and use.

I hope this thread is going to be interesting and informative.

To start with something, I’ve taken some shots of part of the pigments I have.

Here are the flakes. The photos don’t make any justice on how these things shine under the Sun.

View attachment 60078

The difference between flakes and holographic flakes.
Flakes just shine white sparkles and holographic flakes shine like all colours of the rainbow sparkles.

View attachment 60079 View attachment 60080 View attachment 60081 View attachment 60082 View attachment 60083 View attachment 60084

These are some pearls.
Photos don't show what they are under the sun, but something is better than nothing.

View attachment 60085 View attachment 60086 View attachment 60087

So, show what you’ve got, your jobs done, tools for application, etc. Any info is much appreciated!

I’ll think over the tools for application and post them here also.
Great post! I, for one, don’t have a clue about paints.

Great post! I, for one, don’t have a clue about paints.

That's why we're here, to learn and to share.

Concerning your question about the half tanks. You can search for real tanks on e-bay, I sometimes saw there real Harley's tanks for acceptable price. Besides, you could find the manufacturer of custom tanks (or just regular tanks) and ask if they would sell to you those side panels of the tank. They will be steel, that's just great.

That's why we're here, to learn and to share.

Concerning your question about the half tanks. You can search for real tanks on e-bay, I sometimes saw there real Harley's tanks for acceptable price. Besides, you could find the manufacturer of custom tanks (or just regular tanks) and ask if they would sell to you those side panels of the tank. They will be steel, that's just great.
Thanks for the info. I can probably get a tank pretty cheap but I’ve never done any automotive prep and have no clue. I want the half tank to paint for my brother in law who owns a bike shop. Thought it would make a nice gift. I’ll keep digging around. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I can probably get a tank pretty cheap but I’ve never done any automotive prep and have no clue. I want the half tank to paint for my brother in law who owns a bike shop. Thought it would make a nice gift. I’ll keep digging around. Thanks!

That's quite simple, just follow the technology. Search on youtube the topic is pretty much covered.
One of the videos:

Yep I was going to suggest something similar, Rebecca. how about 2nd hand tanks off ebay or what about fibreglass half blank tanks? Not sure of your budget but found these.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Fiberglass-Unfinished-Motorcycle-Fender-Gas-Tank-Sets/38664/bn_32474185

Lee

That was my plan:) Not to buy fiberglass demo models though, but to make them myself. Good thing is, it's possible to make the model of any size I'd ever want, then to make a mold from it, then to make demo shapes as many as I'd need. Definitely, for the price of materials. I've already searched on youtube. A year ago. Nothing's done to the date:) But understanding of the process is what's in my mind.

I’m leaning toward the plastic sporty half tanks, 3 for $90. Not my favorite tank shape but somebody likes them:D

Ok while I was up the garage fixing the door latch on my car I took a pic of my spray guns just to add them to this thread.

Not that I get much chance to use them.
20190811_100639-1.jpg

From top left to bottom right:

DeVilbiss Sri Pro 0.8
DeVilbiss Sri Pro 1.0
Walcom Geo FX92 1.2
No Brand Red Mini gun 0.8
No Brand K-3 0.5
No Brand F75 1.3
No Brand HVLP 1.4 & 2.0
DeVilbiss Aerograph MPS nozzle ?

The Aerograph MPS is still as I got it, never used it but does need stripping, cleaning and making it nice and of course making sure it works. Haven't had time or courage to do it yet.

Lee

Back