foam board question

O

oldhead

I was looking for something to do projects on besides the chunks of metal I bring home from work. I found foam boards at Michaels that were already black. The problem I am having is they suck up the paint. Do I have to coat them with something first?

You could try a transparent base, or light dusting of clear coat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UMMMMM what kind of foam is it? please test with the clear coat first - clear lacquer eats polystyrene foam - for lunch breakfast and dinner :)

UMMMMM what kind of foam is it? please test with the clear coat first - clear lacquer eats polystyrene foam - for lunch breakfast and dinner :)

Foam core is a plastic foam, with a paper surface on both sides, it should not be an issue. Basically it just makes a semi rigid poster board.

AAAHHHhhhhhhh :) spanks wayne - I was wondering about that - I dont think I have seen that before. I wonder if we get it here in the bottom of Africa

AAAHHHhhhhhhh :) spanks wayne - I was wondering about that - I dont think I have seen that before. I wonder if we get it here in the bottom of Africa

Well you guys aren't quite as upside down and backwards as the Aussies, you never know. lol!

I have use foam core boards when I first started. I have used enamel clear coat as a base so it did not suck the paint in . I tried 2k but that is too strong for the foam and it will eat it. It also depends on the foam core board too some have a plastic foam inside them others have a poly core ,

Fly, we do get it here. Not too badly priced. I just can never find a piece that's not dinged up. They are quite fragile.

I'll have check what kind. I do have clear in a can that i used for my track fairings. Didn't need anything special for them since it only needs to look good at 140 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enamel or lacquer should work fine. If it doesn't you only wasted a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got some foam board which I thought would be good for the PP4 ..... Mistake! .... I used frisket to mask of the "subject" and just tried to get it off and it's detroyed the surface, it's pulled it up, so thats a few hours of wasted work!!!
Gonna try photo paper now, but I'll do a few tests first.

I don't like foamboard. Its is too soft. Everything you do on it leaves an indentation. I'll rather work on posterboard if I had a choice.

Hi, All.
You might try photo backing board, it comes in a whole bunch of sizes and colours, has a shiny side and a matt, and is pretty cheap too.
My local art store has heaps of this stuff.
Apparently, it's main use is for holding photo's in frames and creating borders so I'm guessing maybe photographic supply shops or framers might be
the places to find it.

Thin mdf is good. The kind you get in the back of picture frames, or the bottom of cheap drawers/back of cheap wardrobes etc. It has a nice smooth surface too. It will soak up paint, but spray a layer or two of white paint from a rattle can as a base, and you're good to go. And it's potentially free, (apart from the white paint) I never let anyone throw away pictures or furniture, without scavenging like a greedy vulture first. And because it's so thin, it will fit into pic frames too.

Yes, I used it on a skull that I drew from a pic I downloaded.
The material didn't soak up heaps like I expected and it didn't complain about the 20 or so PSI I was painting at,either.
So, yeah, I'd recommend it as a good starting medium.

Back