Foam in color cup

lincrick

Young Tutorling
I know this topic has been covered to death, but bubbles/foam in the color cup. (Side question: What's your take on the search engine for this forum?)
I got an Eclipse HP-CS about a month ago along with a small tanked compressor and have just recently noticed that all/any color I've tried creates a foam in my color cup. I've checked the following: Needle seating correctly,yup. Head cap tightened? I've read never to use the spanner supplied and also to just nudge it tight. I've tried both methods. Blocked passages? I break down and clean the brush after each session.
What else can I check? Could the air pressure be the culprit? I have been trying different settings.
Anyway, thanks for the great forum.

Only way is for air to travel up the paint path. So there has to be a leak somewhere behind the aircap opening where it is still pressurized.

That basically just leaves a cracked nozzle like herb said or the nozzle base not seating to the brush body.

Chapstick on the nozzle base can help test for/correct the seating thing.
Magnification or just feeling the nozzle will generally reveal if it's cracked.

How have you been cleaning your nozzle? Most common reason for bubbles is a dirty nozzle. And you have probably spent quite a bit of time cleaning it - but that doesn't mean it's clean. Voice of experience right here lol.

It could be cracked/damaged, or if you have cleaned it a bit too aggressively, flared/scored, but hopefully it just has old paint. To check, undo the needle Chuck, gently move the needle back and forth by hand, if it feels spongy, not smooth, then it's not clean. Also check how far the needle is sticking out the front of the nozzle, if it seems longer it's flared, shorter then old paint is stopping it sitting properly.

The chapstick trick is good too.

Guys, thanks for all the responses and advise. I got a chance to take a close look at my nozzle. Under magnification I didn't see any cracks or flares. I did clean it out a bit using that brass tool that comes with the cleaning brushes in the cleaning kit I got. I was going to use a sewing needle and thread to floss it out but I didn't have a small enough needle. Got some today that I hope will work. I also put the smallest bit of chapstick on the nozzle base before re-assembly,

So far, so good. I only used a few drops of paint (Com-air opaque) and I didn't see any sign of foam. I hope to have a longer session today and we'll see what happens.

Again, thanks. - rick

Guys, thanks for all the responses and advise. I got a chance to take a close look at my nozzle. Under magnification I didn't see any cracks or flares. I did clean it out a bit using that brass tool that comes with the cleaning brushes in the cleaning kit I got. I was going to use a sewing needle and thread to floss it out but I didn't have a small enough needle. Got some today that I hope will work. I also put the smallest bit of chapstick on the nozzle base before re-assembly,

So far, so good. I only used a few drops of paint (Com-air opaque) and I didn't see any sign of foam. I hope to have a longer session today and we'll see what happens.

Again, thanks. - rick
don't use metal/steel/brass or whatever you guys call that compound which is used for hard stuff when cleaning the nozzle. Chopstick, interdental brush is ok. You will destroy the nozzle with metal to metal rubbing each other like they wanna make cute little babies -.- At least I heard that. I use Regular paint brush, which I cutted so it can go inside of the nozzle. I also cutted with exacto, one chopstick, but I like my brush better.

don't use metal/steel/brass or whatever you guys call that compound which is used for hard stuff when cleaning the nozzle. Chopstick, interdental brush is ok. You will destroy the nozzle with metal to metal rubbing each other like they wanna make cute little babies -.- At least I heard that. I use Regular paint brush, which I cutted so it can go inside of the nozzle. I also cutted with exacto, one chopstick, but I like my brush better.
I just use an old needle ive polished the sharp edges off of.
Cleaning kits have sort of a metal reamer for nozzles.

IMO
Whether you use metal really just depends how confident you are you aren't going to scratch or flare something. It's riskier.

After all in normal use you are rubbing a metal needle in and out of the nozzle anyhow.

Sliced toothpick is handy

I just use an old needle ive polished the sharp edges off of.
Cleaning kits have sort of a metal reamer for nozzles.

IMO
Whether you use metal really just depends how confident you are you aren't going to scratch or flare something. It's riskier.

After all in normal use you are rubbing a metal needle in and out of the nozzle anyhow.

Sliced toothpick is handy
I was assuming he is noob-ish, that's why I tried to stir him away from metal. You old airbrushers know what you are doing so I am not worried about your nozzles :D

I’m with Husky on this one, long bristled artist brush,
Soak nozzle (minus seal) in appropriate cleaner/thinner, poke the hairy brush into the nozzle from the wider end, don’t let the metal from the brush come in contact with the nozzle.
Yes you can ream the nozzle with the needle but the nozzle will still require a soak. Very gentle technique is require so you don’t damage either the needle or nozzle.

As for the ‘airbrush cleaning brushes’ with the metal core..... throw them in your toolbox with your spanners (and blue Iwata lube) and get yourself some interdental brushes. (From where ever you buy toothbrushes and floss etc)

Agreed, those brushes with the metal core are not the best and went in the tool box a long while ago.

Lee

I've relegated to metal brushes to storage and haven't use the spanner for a couple days. Cleaned the nozzle with a dental brush, and will cut down tooth pick. Sprayed with both Com-Air and Createx and no foam/bubbles with either. Except Com-air yellow. It seems thin and bubbly right out of the bottle. I'll be okay though. Thanks everyone for your input. - rick

Back