Foam Storage Question

I'm definitely feeling borderline OCD with this project. I like the final output but the tolerances are off because the laser scorched the edges and caused them to shrink. I'm going to run one more set on a blade CNC to see if I can get the tolerances real grabby.
May be an extra layer of EVA cut 2% smaller in the X axis only to give that snap in feel
Like it snatches it from your finger tips as you pop it in🤣😂🤣

May be an extra layer of EVA cut 2% smaller in the X axis only to give that snap in feel
Like it snatches it from your finger tips as you pop it in🤣😂🤣
Now you get it, thats exactly what I want! 😅

Will test the CNC this week.

I noticed some black smoke marks and maybe charing was it done in one pass or did they do it in multiple passes

I noticed some black smoke marks and maybe charing was it done in one pass or did they do it in multiple passes
This is 6mm eva foam. I basically called in a favor from a friend which got me into a quid-pro-quo project for him 🙃. He ran it at high power and one pass which did result in scorching and a deformation of the tolerances, but I'm not going to ask him to do it again because he has a low-end hobby cutter so it took nearly 2-3 hours to cut two panels.

He also operated the laser so I wasn't really able to tweak settings and power level on my own.

Fortunately the work CNC can be used after hours and the shop crew offered to help me, so I've created a few incrementally smaller tolerances of cut lines and am doing some test cuts with my airbrushes on-site for size checks.

Im not giving up on perfection 9/10 be dammed. 😆

And we got there, folks. Mission accomplished, project complete. Perfect tolerance 👌 🤌
Very nice,,,, I done some work on a 8x4 cnc router I replaced the belt drive on the Z axis with a 5mm ballscrew the machine was used to grind a grooved pattern into EVA foam for surfboards grips back in the mid 90's the cutters where a weird tungsten burr that looked like like tiny stalactities

Very nice,,,, I done some work on a 8x4 cnc router I replaced the belt drive on the Z axis with a 5mm ballscrew the machine was used to grind a grooved pattern into EVA foam for surfboards grips back in the mid 90's the cutters where a weird tungsten burr that looked like like tiny stalactities
That's really cool! I'd love to have seen what that bit looked like.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I used the remaining foam and a cigar box to make a brush case for my Rosemary and Co. Red Sable brushes. Thought I'd share :)

Back