Foreveryoung001's log Started Spetember 25, 2013

F

foreveryoung001

Alright Cordyk, you've convinced me... I was just checking up on the forum after work last night, and it sort of hit me in the face. I've been sitting on a personal project for three months... telling myself I wasn't ready to start it because I couldn't get the design right, in my head, or I couldn't find the right references...

Now, those are all legitimate excuses for a time, but I haven't touched the airbrush in two weeks, and my search for reference pics sort of came to a stand still, then I read your little captain's log thingy, and it hit me between the eyes. I mean, I've had free painting time for 2 weeks and not one single drop of paint went into that airbrush. WTF! So, I quit making excuses and just went and started on my project last night.

So, for now, my goal is to quit making excuses that just allow me to procrastinate on my personal projects. I don't have that problem with commission pieces, but I also don't get the same kind of satisfaction out of those. So, no matter how many commission pieces I have, my goal is to do one personal piece every month. They might not be big, but I've got a list of things I've been meaning to do for myself, and I never get around to them.

Thanks, Kev, for kicking a guy in the ass. Just the motivation I needed.

No pictures to post yet, although I did start a thread about it on the W.I.P. section.

Well done mate, we all suffer from the same excuses :)
Its all about getting the airbrushes flowing with some paint in it, even if you just spend time messing about it all helps your control. I know what its like when you get a bit stuck on project and you start to loose you interest in it because it doesnt seem to be working out as planned, well my advice mate is just start something else and go back to it later, try and make a plan of all those things you would like to paint.
You could always print off all those reference pics and stick them on a wall for inspiration, as long as you are enjoying what you paint it will flow:)

Thanks for joining in mate:)
Kev

I can't decide if its done or not, but since I'm calling ti done tonight, I am posting this as my completed project for September.
DSCN0852.JPGDSCN0853.JPGSaw Blade.JPG

Still have some time before my next commission piece gets here, so I'm moving on to my next personal project. Can't decide if its the gun stock on my 10/22 or a golf club. Probably the Ruger, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Well, I only had one commission piece lined up for this month, and he's been stalling in getting it to me, so Lots of time to pursue other projects. I'm working on the Girl Butt painting right now, and thought that was going to be my only personal piece this month, but now I'm thinking I'll lots of free time. Have been wanting to try a couple things of late.

First, I've been wanting to paint on canvas. I was at Micheals today and wasn't to keen on the selection at my local shop, but did find a package of canvas board for a decent price. Figured it wouldn't be that different from a stretched canvas, so went with those and will do the competition piece on that.

And second, it falls right in to the competition. I've been meaning to try something Giger-like. I don't know how creative my brain is when it comes to design, so I might try and fuse a lot of the ideas from his paintings into my design, or maybe I'll just try a good copy of this one, but with our subjects face.
View attachment 20773

All I know is this little log is making me push myself a little more than I'm used to, but I'm liking it. Just the right amount of motivation to pick up the airbrush on those days when I'm not really feeling all that inspired. On days like that, I find that it doesn't take long to get lost in the project, so I end up enjoying it as much as usual.

So I'm reevaluating my log thingy... or perhaps, reevaluating my commitment to airbrushing. I started with an airbrush to help blend the fades on guitars I used to paint with different burst effects. Never wanted to do much else with it. Then last year, the bug got me, and I grabbed that old Paasche and did a couple of pictures, and have not looked back.

Over the last 14 months or so, my enthusiasm has never died, but my commitment to practice has. I would get an order for a few t-shirts or a simple helmet or guitar, and think, "That's good enough... I can sit back for a couple weeks."

The problem was, by only doing the rather simple jobs for the clients, and then taking time off, I haven't seen my skills improve as much as I would like. That is the main reason I want to do a personal piece every month.... to push myself out of my comfort zone, and try to get a handle on different painting techniques.

I'm calling the competition piece my personal piece for this month since I did push myself beyond anything I've done yet, in a style that intimidated me. I obviously can't post any pics of it yet, but as I said in the Competition thread, at this point, I don't care if I win, because I'm just proud of what I accomplished. In my mind, it is the best work I've done yet, so who cares if I win... Sure, a new Iwata would be cool to win, but I already feel like I've won, just by knocking this piece out.

So then, this morning, I was looking at the WIP thread from it'sonlypaint and the work he accomplished while taking Marrissa's class, and I thought to myself, "Wow, I'll never be able to do that."

Then I kicked myself... What the hell was I saying? The only reason I won't ever be able to do it, is if I tell myself that I can't do it... I can learn the techniques, but if my own mind is what is holding me back, then its time to change it.

So, I'm done with the competition piece, I want to finish the "girl butt" painting I started in the WIP section, I have a simple helmet coming in for client, then.... my wife volunteered me to paint portraits for the family Christmas gifts this year... Her grandparents wedding photo, my parents wedding photo, etc... I think I've got 6 or 7 of them to do. I am doing them all monochromatic, but I think with the right frame of mind, I can push myself towards more realism.

So, from this point on, I will not shy away from the challenge. It may take me years to reach the level I want to reach, but I am done talking myself out of becoming a better artist.

Good on you man. I too recently realized I was who was holding me back. Over thinking, over analyzing, choking myself in the process. So I decided. Like the Nike slogan, "Just do it". Stop what I was doing and just paint. I plan on taking he Eddie Davis class in Feb, I will not allow myself to fail, unless I have a medical reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I have just fallen into the same trap. I just looked at the pics from Marissas course, and commented that, I can't see myself being able to progress to something like that on my own, and need a course to get there, (if I get there). Just reading your post has made me realize how negative that was. I said in my response how proud I was to get to where I am, so why shouldn't I be able to go farther? I'd still love to do the course, but can't afford it for the foreseeable future, so if it takes me longer, even years longer, I could still get somewhere close maybe. I'll only have myself to blame if I don't. So thanks FEY, for kicking yourself, cos you just gave me a kick too.

I think I have just fallen into the same trap. I just looked at the pics from Marissas course, and commented that, I can't see myself being able to progress to something like that on my own, and need a course to get there, (if I get there). Just reading your post has made me realize how negative that was. I said in my response how proud I was to get to where I am, so why shouldn't I be able to go farther? I'd still love to do the course, but can't afford it for the foreseeable future, so if it takes me longer, even years longer, I could still get somewhere close maybe. I'll only have myself to blame if I don't. So thanks FEY, for kicking yourself, cos you just gave me a kick too.

That's great Squishy! I can't believe how negative I am towards myself. Time to change direction. Hell, my wife even said, the other night when I was talking about wanting to paint something but telling her I didn't think I could pull it off, "Hey, if you screw up, just slap some white paint paint over it and start over"

For some reason, that has always held me back... not anymore. I can't learn new things if I'm not even willing to try and accomplish them.

I think we all fall into the same trap, we sit and convince ourselves "we can't do it" so we take the easy road or none at all. Other than legitimate financial restraints the only thing that stops us is ourselves. I'm guilty as charged myself!

Well, as October winds to end, I am glad to say I accomplished what I intended. My competition piece took over two weeks from planning to completion (30 hours maybe), but I was very pleased with what I accomplished with it. I tried some techniques that were new to me and the results were exactly what I was hoping for, so just goes to show that Mitch might be on to something when he has these little competitions to push people out of their comfort zones.

Then I also completed the Helmet commission that I had been waiting on. Just got it back from the body shop today where they sprayed the urethane... I tried a new shop, and they gave me a heck of a price, but did a rather poor job. Almost no orange peel, but lots of bumps where it looks like their gun may have been spitting or something. I don't know. Hoping it will all come out when I sand and buff it tonight, but I don't think I will be using that shop again.

So now we are heading in to November, and my goal for this month is to complete, at least, 4 portraits. My wife volunteered me to paint portraits for a lot of our family members. Since I've got a total of 8 to do, I'm not going to be aiming for anything to amazing, but I am still trying to find ways to push myself. For the first one, that I started laying out last night, I transferred the image using the grid method, which I have always been intimidated by, because of my poor drawing skills. It was of my step-daughter and grand daughter, and I have to say, I was amazed by how close it came to the reference when I was done with it.

So that alone pushed me into another technique I wasn't familiar with. As for the painting, I'll start on that tonight and get a WIP thread going for the paintings as I get to them, but since I'm not going for extreme detail, I'm not sure where I'll be able to push myself on them. I will be using the electric eraser and razor blade on these, which is something I have also avoided, so perhaps that will be enough to take me out of my comfort zone.

I've got some other commission pieces lined up, but I'm hoping they all hold off until Christmas so I can focus on these 8 portraits.

FANTASTIC! Mate it sounds like you really are pushing yourself to paint more and lifting you confidence at the same time!. I know you can paint anything you want if you put your mind to it, the work you have already shown us tells us that!
Get use to using erasers and knives for scratching techniques and you will see a hole new level of realism begin to emerge in your work, all the pro's do it.
Sounds like you have a lot of AB'ing to get in for Christmas ha ha, but I'm real impressed with your focus and commitment to painting, keep it up buddy it's great:)

Nice one FEY. It's quite nice isn't it, to know you set yourself some targets, and then managed to meet them. Sounds like you've got a busy few weeks ahead of you now though. I've done a few chrissie pressies too. Something with a personal touch, saves a few quid, and getting new things to try, it's a win, win, win situation Lol. I think your wife is right, My hubs says the same, "if you mess up so what, either fix it or paint over it". I think we can talk ourselves out of trying something before we've even started sometimes. I sat staring at the eagle I did recently for ages saying, "I'm not sure I can do this" My Hubs just said, "You always say that, just do it" Blunt and to the point bless him. But he's right, just do it. What's the worst that can happen? I really need to get to grips with this erasing business too. I used it on a meerkat pic I did, and quickly realized that the surface you are using plays a huge part, so it was only partially successful. I think as I've been such a good girl (who, me! LOL)this year Santa might have to bring me some Schoellershammer for Christmas, and an electric eraser too perhaps, I'm amazed with what people can do with it. Just hope my Wicked paints are up to it, as I don't want to have to get a load of illustration stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the erasing FEY, I expect I will be picking your brains for tips :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and update my log thingy... Since finishing up all those Christmas portraits, I haven't touched my airbrush. I was totally burned out. To the point where I didn't even want to think about painting anything. I pushed myself to hard, and took the joy of airbrushing right out of it. I do have a commission piece coming up, just a big cat portrait on canvas, but other than that, I don't have anything lined up, and I'm not really looking for anything right this second. I just had to step away from it, so that I didn't end up hating it.

I did just buy a '96 Jeep Cherokee, which I will be painting as soon as the weather warms up. Northern Michigan in winter, especially this winter, doesn't lend well to working on cars when your garage isn't heated. It's a fixer-upper, and I've got a few things to do before I get to the painting, but it is on my "to do" list. We call it the "Green Zombie Jeep" so of course its going to have green zombies... probably some skulls, some green true fire, and some bio-hazard symbols... don't know the whole plan yet, but working on the vision.

I'll try to be around a little more as my work schedule balances out, but for now, just wanted to pop in and say "hey" and let everyone know what was going on.

Well... Here's my non-airbrushing update. Since I was last around, I have not had a chance to pick up my airbrush. Earlier this year, we found out that we we're going to have find a new place to live. Our landlord had decided to sell the house we had been renting for the last 5 years. So, for a few months, we packed, and looked, and then went through the stress of buying a house.

So, one problem solved, but I had to increase my hours at my second job to afford the cost of buying and moving, and it was just a stressful mess. We moved in a couple of months ago, and are pretty much settled now, but my studio is going to be in the basement again, but I need to finish putting up some walls as well as finish the new bathroom down there. There hasn't been much free time, energy, or work space to get the airbrush set up, so its just been sitting there, taunting me.

I have such an urge to start painting again, but I don't know how soon that will happen. Once projects around here get completed, I'll be around a little more and get my hands on the brush again.

Till then, peace & love, and keep slinging paint!

Glad to hear things are starting to settle down for you. I know you'll be back on the brush as soon as you can. If you do get time to pop in here, even if you can't paint right now, then please do. Be good to see you around, and keep you inspired for when you do get your basement ready, and everything calms down a bit :)

Back