For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Forum is suffering from 7 year itch !

Discussion in 'Forum Ideas!' started by JackEb, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Leaky valve recently posted a thread asking "is this place dying?"

The general thoughts were that it wasn't but it is certainly slow at the moment. I don’t think anything has really changed since the forum started back in 2012 so maybe now is the time…… lets blame it on the 7 year itch

So lets do some brainstorming

What would you like to change, we want to hear it all, the good, the bad and the left of field ideas. I'm sure there are some things that annoy you and equally some things you would hate to see go.
    There may be some things that we can’t change due to logistical limitations but let’s see what ideas you have :)

I know this section is dedicated for 'forum ideas' but realistically there hasn't been a lot of input so I’m giving this a kick in the pants.
    We want to keep it newbie friendly, we have a ‘Spread the love’ history of helping newbies on their bumpy journey and that needs to continue. There are many Social Media options for people to showcase their work and get their name out there so I'm not concerned about that side of things at the moment.

Some of the suggestions already in this section of the forum include
    • a Manual Section. that would be do-able, but maybe a section with a suitable title that could include manuals for common airbrushes, Paint TDS's (technical data sheets), General info for compressors.
    • Group Challenge – we all had so much fun with the Gargoyle– No time limits, everyone has the same reference, but you need to do a step by step type of thread so that newbies can see that there is more than one way to approach a subject and what a little bit of artistic licence can do to change a reference. Mr.Micron did something very similar with the ‘big boy/big girl challenges a few years back, I joined in and it was great fun and pushed me. Maybe we need to rename the “OC Challenge section” to “Challenge yourself”
    • A ‘old timers/old fart’ section ? where those that have been members for many years and know each other VERY WELL can sit and relax and talk about random stuff without fear of offending newcomers
    • A ‘DIY section’ which could be a sub forum of ‘tips and tricks’ ?

We really don’t want to get to a point where we have a forum section for everything that we can think of but maybe we just need to refresh the line-up of forums

@Leakyvalve @markjthomson @AndreZA @Ronald art @Mr.Micron @twood @Franc Kaiser @MarcosD @DaveG @Zotilraxx @SiRoxx @huskystafford @Vladimir
    You guys all commented on the 'is this place dying' thread, so your input would be very much appreciated.
    musicmacd, SiRoxx, doc1 and 3 others like this.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin Artist of the Month!

Good idea... thinking thinking...
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

I think the OC challenge should be "Accept the challenge "
    jord001, markjthomson and JackEb like this.
  4. JackEb

I can smell the gears burning from here.. .. or did you forget the beans in the roaster?
    jord001 and markjthomson like this.
  5. JackEb

I like that one !! Shame we don’t have the rights to the mission impossible theme when people click into it

“you’re mission should you choose to accept it”
    SiRoxx, jord001 and Mr.Micron like this.
  6. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

This is an important initiative. I agree that there could be things that make the forum even more appealing for both newbies. old farts, and those in-between. I will do some thinking and revert soon.
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  7. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

1) Automatic notification about introducing when someone joins, so new people don't have feeling you mods and admins are bothering them.

2) jail - if someone is behaving badly he can write only in jail forum(so this can be nice warning behave or ban is coming). When I was admin on a server I had few kids which were annoying to others. So I made a channel and named it kindergarten. I put all those kids in that channel and lock them in. They couldn't use any other channels. The weird part was they had fun on that channel and I was more in the jail channel then the rest of other channels. Take this suggestion with a big grain of salt. :)

3) I would love to have evil smiley. Some jokes aren't the same without it.

4) I noticed we have members which are ''registered'' but they don't write like never. I would like to know why and I would like to fix that. This could be a way to grow community, but I don't have a clue about what to do here. Just thinking out load. Maybe someone has an idea why they don't. I know you guys are making art can be intimidating to newbs, but I wonder if that is the case here. You know that feeling when you sign up to the site and see all the awesome art and you say to your self: hell no, I'm not posting my poop attempts on this forum, no way lol

edit: group challenge is a good idea. I learned a lot, even if it was a pure pain...
  8. JackEb

1.) will look into it....
    2) it would be full mostly with you, me, MarkJ & Herb.... and most of the others that cant behave lol
    3) We have a couple already :evil: :malicious: but maybe we need to work on an 'evil husky' one :D
    4) That is also something I have been thinking about.. ..
    as a way of encouraging them to post, maybe they're locked out of certain forum sections until they've made (insert number) of posts. We have a lot of people that register but don't participate in any way shape or form on the forum. Its not all take take take people. you do need to join in

Great starting points people.... I know its getting to bed time for the northern hemisphere so think about what you'd like the forum to look like if you could change anything.
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  9. huskystafford

I would love to have tip me a coffee option. When I am ordering stuff for my self online I always have some coins left. So I can't spend it on amazon, cause it's not much. Ussually 5 euros or so. And I spend it on steam on some stupid game.(I never let any money on my debit card, I made that card just for paying online. I put money on it and spend it fast). If we would have option tip me a coffee this would be nice. I don't game lately so why not tipping a coffee. I know we have options for 30 bucks or something, but if I have 30 bucks I order something which I need from amazon. So tip me a coffee would be nice.

I am just writing some stuff cause other members are not online yet. :)
  10. huskystafford

oh, I thought that's a heart with mustache lol
  11. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think if you could get a few more newbies joining in on the open bar forum and try hard not to get them mad at us for one reason or another and help them (as we do now) it might make a difference in the way we older guys/gals are perceived it's a new gen. Of people trying to
    Learn and sometimes us old fast come across to hard on them.
    jord001, Franc Kaiser and JackEb like this.
  12. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Right off the top of my head, I can think of an avenue we should look at trying to promote - we get a lot of new modelers joining, that either don't stick around, or don't share their work - I think because they feel out of place. I have been in several FB groups, and can tell you they seem to march to a different drum beat, but are very, very active.

Perhaps we should create a section for them to feel at home.

I've got a few more thoughts, but am off to bed at the moment. I'll be back in the morning...
    Tocean, SiRoxx, jord001 and 4 others like this.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

That is great proposal!:thumbsup:
    I've been thinking about the things about the forum recently. Jackie, you've made hard ass kick to think wider!:) You have very smart proposals in your list.
    For not telling the first thoughts, will think over the things and say aloud later.
    SiRoxx, jord001 and JackEb like this.
  14. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin Artist of the Month!

Yes.. modelers, lure painters, etc... you are right, they are a rare contributor here but lots of them. To be fair, I suspect the focus
    of the forum was probably more portraitesque in nature...
    SiRoxx and JackEb like this.
  15. John Seaton

John Seaton Triple Actioner

New here so I got nothing yet sorry lol
    markjthomson and jord001 like this.
  16. JackEb

Being new is irrelevant John, a fresh set of eyes may be just what is needed. I’m sure there has been something that didn’t make sense to you. In the past 7 years I suspect us long-termers have got use to the way things are
  17. John Seaton

John Seaton Triple Actioner

You are quite right but my problem is I am still trying to work this place out lol....navigating around is kinda difficult but I am getting there slowly and that is not because of this particular setup it is because I have never really used a forum before so don't fully understand the mechanics.....
  18. Ttxela

Ttxela Needle-chuck Ninja

As a relative newcomer I have a few observations.

Most Forums I am a member of seem a lot quieter these days than a few years back, I guess there has been a big diversion to social media.

The tone of this Forum seems pretty good, I can think of at least one forum (on a totally unrelated subject) I am a member of which has a very confrontational feel to it with lots of criticism and warring cliques despite fairly heavy moderation. It's very active (although less than it used to be) but is not as nice a place to be.

Activity doesn't necessarily equate to quality, another Forum I am a member of has very few posts, oftem maybe 2-3 days will go by without anyone posting but it's well worth checking in as the quality of what is posted is invariably high.

I'm finding this forum very useful and welcoming, I don't post that much because often I can't offer too much in the way of a meaningful contribution however I do like the Picture Of The Month thread, it's a bit less of a commitment to take part in since I'm a bit time poorr at the moment.
  19. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

this was quite a read up for me and I thought back to the time I joined my first forum and the reason why I did that
    I was a absolute beginner messing around with paint and not knowing a thing about it like trying to run before I could even crawl .
    So how about a section just for beginners were they can post questions or ask advice on paints, airbrushes and techniques
    markjthomson, jord001 and JackEb like this.
  20. JackEb

We do have a ‘beginners questions’ and ‘troubleshooting’ and ‘tips and tricks’ etc etc BUT they are in different sections of the forum, so I agree, those types of sub forums should be under one section and not scattered.
    Tocean, SiRoxx, markjthomson and 2 others like this.