Frisket and Tack

M

Minouris

Hi all :) I've been having a play with stencilling using frisket, and I'm finding that it has a tendency to lift the surface off my paper when I peel it away. Is that largely due to the GSM of the paper I'm using (135gsm cartridge paper), or should I be doing something to decrease the tack of my frisket before applying it?

Thanks!

Mike :)

I stick all frisket to my shirt to take some of the tack off it . Even the ultra low tack can not only lift the surface of the paper off but even lift the edge of the paint if on to thick.

Hi all :) I've been having a play with stencilling using frisket, and I'm finding that it has a tendency to lift the surface off my paper when I peel it away. Is that largely due to the GSM of the paper I'm using (135gsm cartridge paper), or should I be doing something to decrease the tack of my frisket before applying it?

Thanks!

Mike :)
I use frisket daily, and have used it on Canson paper art boards, and like you I have peeled the face right off the paper. Some friskets are less than ideal due to it's high tack, but it wasn't the frisket in the end, it was my skill with an xacto knife. First, I start each session with a new blade, sometimes changing up to 3 times a day. When cutting you can feel, and even hear when you're cutting too deep into the paper. On the other hand you'll be chasing tails with your blade if you don't cut enough while you weed. It's a delicate balance that in the end I won't really use frisket on paper boards unless absolutely necessary. But painting in sanded gessoed boards is another story, and my substrate if choice, as I frisked, scratch, erase by sanding, in other words I can beat the heck out of it.

Thanks guys :) I think I was definitely cutting too deeply into my paper - I'll try and get some better knife blades. I was having to push altogether too hard to cut the frisket before.

Back