Fur Technique (erasing method)

this is a good method but on canvas sadly its doesnt work, the eraser doesnt eraser properly ive found. any suggestions ?

stu have you tried applying more gesso to your canvas yourself..... sanding in between layers to build up a smooth surface rather than textured??,,,, if not then maybe its time to go with the illustration board?? your work is worthy of it and at £5 per sheet its roughly the same price as canvas??

this is a good method but on canvas sadly its doesnt work, the eraser doesnt eraser properly ive found. any suggestions ?

The only problem I have with erasing on normal canvas is that you can not erase between the weave. That is why I either build up the canvas with gesso or use synthetic canvas that has a much finer weave.

I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to work for me. The pencil eraser doesn't remove the paint like this, so I think it's all down to the surface you use, plus VR is the master of course :) But defintely the surface you're using plays a big part.

Squishy,

The surface helps a great deal... try using the 'glossy' illustration board, it doesn't absorb the paint at all and 'pulls' off easily with the eraser.

I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to work for me. The pencil eraser doesn't remove the paint like this, so I think it's all down to the surface you use, plus VR is the master of course :) But defintely the surface you're using plays a big part.

It does depends on the surface and paint. I'm loving the Com-art on Schoellershammer mix. Especially with opaques.

Yes like Andre said, it depends on the surface and also having a paint that has erasing qualities to it to make it work effectively. The smoother and slicker the surface, the cleaner your erasing willl be. Its a technique that takes time to understand and get it down. Its best to erase as you go through your layers and not at the end of your painting. Only at the end it where you bring out your boldest highlights.

Cool trick you make it lookvery easy. I will have to try that illustration board. I have only used cardstoch or paper that didnt work out so well.

Madbrush you need to keep your toilet paper under tinfoil to protect it from ufos. I thought everyone knew that. No amount of erasing will remove that alien stank, you should buy a new roll.

Madbrush, sorry my bad I swear it read ufos the first time I saw it not uros.

Cool trick you make it lookvery easy. I will have to try that illustration board. I have only used cardstoch or paper that didnt work out so well.
I use posterboard that has a sort of laminated side to it. So its slick and the paint doesnt absorb and doesnt fuzz up when erasing on it.

Madbrush you need to keep your toilet paper under tinfoil to protect it from ufos. I thought everyone knew that. No amount of erasing will remove that alien stank, you should buy a new roll.
I
Madbrush, just a thought on yer prob.
If the foil thing ain't workin' for ya, add a layer of old roofin' sheet [not sh*te] lead. That orta do it!

I haven't posted here in a long time but I like this technique and can see where it could be used for many applications. Thanks for posting it.

What a great little video. I so want to paint furry animals and this will help me a lot. Now can I buy poster board and illustration board that you are talking about at Hobby lobby or Michaels craft store ???? Thank you so much for making the video. You Rock

I get the same board from my local art store, its easy to come across and is likely the cheapest option..If you find it you will recognize it pretty easily..One side is very shiny and slick, the other side is matt, it could almost be a framing/matting board but my art store keeps it seperate from that, just cant remember the exact name, will see if I can find a piece that still has the sticker on it and let ya know ...GL Snowbird..

Back