For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Gargoyle challenge

Discussion in 'Accept the Challenge!' started by retiredgarnham, Oct 18, 2019.

1. retiredgarnham

retiredgarnham Triple Actioner

Hi all
    I looked at the gargoyle challenge which was posted on the O C challenge last July and with the encouragement of some of the stalwarts of the forum I'm going to give it a go. Iv'e decided to post it on Paintings in Progress as I intend to do a step by step approach to it, asking for help and criticism along the way. Feel free to give me all your tips, especially if you think I should be posting it on O C Challenge instead.
    As requested by JackEB I will intro myself.
    I joined the forum in 2013 and enjoyed two years of learning the art through Mitch. In that time I produced six paintings which were decent (as far as I was concerned), that is ha ha. Then it went all "Pete Tong" wrong.
    With poor health and a move back to England I was completely stuffed! This lasted for four years. As we were living with my youngest daughter she decided to move to a bigger property, so finely after two years I have finished renovating the house to include a large summer house for her and a purpose built studio for me.
    So now I'm going to get back into the saddle, so to speak and make up for lost time.
    I own 2 x H&S brushes, an infinity and an evolution, and just recently purchased a Bartsharpe airbrush. For those of you who have not heard of Bartsharpe, in the UK they used to sell the Veda line of brushes. Now they produce and sell their own product. This brush I bought for £37 is absolutely amazing. If you love the H&S brushes you are going to love these.
    Enough said about the brushes I use. Now the paint. My preference is Createx Illustration, with an occasional dip into Comart.
    For practising I generally use card but when I start an artwork proper I always use canvas.
    So with that info I will start my journey with you.
    First up, I downloaded the reference picture and then loaded it onto my tablet and a memory stick for my projector, then I printed a hard copy. Next I painted a couple of coats of gesso onto my canvass. I can hear you all saying "surely the canvass comes pre gessoed these days" and you would be right. But for me these canvasses are designed for the hairy brush fraternity, who use a much thicker medium, so fresh out the wrapping they tend to be a bit to porous for me, hence two extra coats, rubbing down the final coat with a fine emery paper. The canvass still retains it's texture "which I love" but holds the paint a lot better.
    Prepping.JPG

I then set up the projector and traced the bare essentials of what I needed to start my painting
    Transfering picture.JPG

So with the reference traced out I started the painting with the wings first. I rarely use templates as I prefer to use my fingers so a little over paint generally occures, but is easy to remedy. Once a section is complete I do use a masking fluid to preserve the section.
    This is how far I have got and to me it's not right. Ithink the colours are to new looking, so I think I'm going to try to weather them somewhat. Suggestions please.
    Wings in progress.JPG

Well this is as far as I have got. Next is the body.
    Look forward to hearing your comments, good or bad
    jord001, doc1, SiRoxx and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

it is good to see a coloured version and a good start
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  3. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

off topic. What projector you use? I see you can project even in a light room. I am interested in this :)
    jord001 likes this.
  4. retiredgarnham

It's a Wejoy DL-S30 which I picked up on Ebay about 5 years ago. Iv'e just had a look on ebay and the same projector is retailing for about £160. It is a lovely little unit and as you can see I use it in full daylight with no problems. Look it up and find it's spec. All similar DLP projectors will give you a good result.
    Good luck
    jord001, SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  5. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Thanks for the info! Gonna check it out, now when I got info what projector needs to have to be able to use it in daylight. That was my issue. I didn't know what I need.
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  6. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Looks like a great start. I’m sure the previous experience will come flooding back. I’m another member from the U.K. based in the South East. I’m looking forward to seeing this piece come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 likes this.
  7. retiredgarnham

Hi all
    An update of the gargoyle. Spent a few hours yesterday painting and sort of finished the body. Background to do next. Still thinking about that. gargoyle 2.JPG
    JackEb, SiRoxx, doc1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I love this colored version...
  9. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

you really made it your own and I like it