For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Given the old Ghost Rider a try

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by SiRoxx, Feb 6, 2019.

1. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Hey Guys and Girls,
    I’ve had a Ghost Rider painting on my to do list for a while, and I’ve given it my best shot.
    This was a real learning piece as I had a bunch of issues to fix, but I’m happy to say for the most part the fixes worked out ok. Plus I’ve learned a lot to take to the new piece. I need to practice getting techniques to make the jacket look better, but I’m pleased with how this turned out.
    No stencil for this, it was a Saral image transfer and good old fashioned shields.
    Paints - Mick Neil Custom Series Vivid Base & Candies
    Surface - A4 size Aluminium Panel
    Brushes - Iwata Eclipse CS & CM-C+
    As always, thanks for looking and any suggestions will be gratefully received.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    basepaint, CHÉRIE, Joe T and 8 others like this.
  2. SiRoxx

And the reference, just in case anybody is interested.
    [​IMG]

Kai Halonen, jord001, PogArt and 5 others like this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Very good result!:thumbsup: Nothing new for you to hear from me, but you make big steps forward in every new work. Talent maybe?

Suggestion. When working with straight black, it would be better to over reduce it. You have some extremely overworked places with black, you know where;) Working over reduced, that would hardly happen.
    jord001, SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  4. SiRoxx

Thanks for that my friend, I really appreciate the compliment and also feel like I’m moving forward at the moment, that makes me very happy.
    And thank you for the advice regarding the Black too. You’re right about some areas that are too black, they were the early steps in this piece. I did exactly what you’ve suggested, really over reduced the black and moved the airbrush further away too and found it much easier to work with. It couldn’t save the areas that were already too dark, but I hope to carry the lessons into the next piece. Thanks for the advice Buddy, it’s always appreciated.

jord001 and Vladimir like this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

NIce looking piece Si,
    Moving the airbrush further away was a light bulb moment for me too ! I think because every other drawing/painting medium requires tool to substrate contact we mentally think we need to have the airbrush closer to the substrate than we really do. just dont have it 6" away at a pressure of 50psi..... you'll learn just how far overspray will go lol

PS I fixed your signature....... you omitted the 'c' from 'wicked' and I could no longer ignore it.....once seen I couldn't unsee it lol
    basepaint, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  6. Nokie

Nokie Gravity Guru

Great looking piece. I looked at it earlier at work and it was too bright out and I couldn’t pick up any of the yellow.
    Now that I see it, it looks great!
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  7. SiRoxx

Thanks Jacki, it was a bit of a turning point for sure, so that’s good!! I think you’re right about naturally making the link of being in close. Hopefully I’ll remember the lessons for the next piece .
    Thanks for the spell check too, I obviously hadn’t noticed lol. I’m glad you can read my posts without pulling your hair out now LOL.

jord001 and JackEb like this.
  8. SiRoxx

Thanks very much Nokie. The colours are thought to see in this picture, it looks richer and less glare in real life, but you Guys get the idea .

jord001 likes this.
  9. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

SPELLCHECK :laugh:

I think you meant ‘tough’
  10. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Awesome job you have come such a long way in a short time. Soon you will be teaching others too:D
    Joe T, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  11. SiRoxx

Ahh Man! LOL. You now have a full time job of moderating just my posts for typos .
    I suck.

jord001 likes this.
  12. SiRoxx

Thank you Herb, I think the teaching is a little ways off LOL. But I’m very happy to be moving forward.

jord001 likes this.
  13. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

I blame big fingers little keyboard for all my typos LMAO that is my story and I am sticking to it! :D
  14. SiRoxx

I would try that, but I have slender guitar fingers, I just type faster than I’m able on my phone!

jord001 likes this.
  15. SiRoxx

I’m adding more detail on the process so that I can submit for January POM.

I began the process by laying out the basic image using Saral Transfer Paper and lightly added some reduced white around the key shapes then removed the Saral lines. I have learned that I need to do this early on otherwise the Saral acts like masking. [​IMG]
    I spent a lot of time slowly building the image with the over reduced white. Constantly studying the reference and moving around the piece to try and keep it balanced. The Zipper on the jacket was done with the “Pinhole” element of an Artool Freehand Shield that turned out to be just the right size.
    [​IMG]
    Next I started shading with a reduced black, but it was a little heavy, so I reduced it further to add to the transparency and moved my airbrush further from the surface. I have a bad habit of starting everything really close up, when I should be using a small amount of paint from further away.
    But lesson learnt and it made the shading more natural on the other parts.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly before the colour I fogged in some rough shapes to represent back ground flame licks and smoke as the first layer. [​IMG]
    Here’s where I had a problem . I laid down some Candy Red, which was fine, then used orange base to do another layer of flames. I screwed this layer up, the flames had little direction and were way to “stencilly” looking for what I wanted. [​IMG]
    I walked away from the piece and thought over night about the best way to fix the problem. I went back to the Orange, added a little white to make it more Opaque hoping I could cover the layer I didn’t like. This worked out pretty well and ended up adding to the depth, so as the saying goes “I didn’t make a mistake, I just changed my mind” - Mr Craig Fraser.
    [​IMG]
    The weird spot top left is where I had a small spill and the reducer hit the panel and stripped the paint right the way to the substrate. So I slowly built in that area with the opaque mix and gave it a top coat of Candy. It’s pretty well hidden in the piece now.
    Lastly was a couple light coats on an Aerosol Clear and Ghost Rider is done.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for all the “Likes” and comments everybody. It’s much appreciated.

CHÉRIE, xlr8, jord001 and 1 other person like this.
  16. PogArt

PogArt Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I'm not so sure but I think you've made the teeth irregular compared to the ref?
    If so, I like your concept even more Simon.
    Irregular teeth giving something to your art, making the skull more interesting...
    I like it very much the colours and all the beautiful details too.
    Great looking one!
    SiRoxx likes this.
  17. SiRoxx

Good eye Pog . Yes I did want to make the teeth a bit less even. For some reason I felt a couple of slightly damaged teeth had a better feel with this piece. I’m glad you like it and thank you for the kind words, it’s always appreciated.

PogArt likes this.
  18. PogArt

PogArt Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I thought so ;)
    Your art is much better looking, it has that "thing" to get concerned about,while study those skull details :)
    Congrats !
  19. SiRoxx

Thank you so much my friend.

jord001 and PogArt like this.
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Already told you on FB but this is a great piece. Its got good depth and even better colours. Really good work mate.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.