Golden High Flow and Tip size

J

John V

Hi All:
I am trying to understand the chart from the Golden Paints Web page I posted below:

Does the X mean the paint should flow through the given Tip size indicated by the X ?
If I am understanding the chart Golden paints should work in airbrush's with .2MM or larger.

TOOL SELECTION QUICK REFERENCE CHART
NOTE: All High Flow Acrylics NOT listed below worked well for both airbrush and technical pens of all sizes.
AIRBRUSHES TECHNICAL PENS
Fine Tip
(.15-.2mm) Medium Tip
(.2-.3mm) Large Tip
(.3mm+) Fine Tip
(6X0-3X0) Medium Tip
(00-0)

Large Tip
(1-2)

PAINT COLOR
Fluorescents (All) X X X X
Iridescents (All) X X X X
Burnt Sienna X X X X X X
Green Gold X X X X
Nickel Azo Yellow X X X X
Quin./Nickel Azo Gold X X X X X
Raw Sienna X X X X X
Raw Umber X X X X
Ultramarine Blue X X X X X

Hi All:
I am trying to understand the chart from the Golden Paints Web page I posted below:

Does the X mean the paint should flow through the given Tip size indicated by the X ?
If I am understanding the chart Golden paints should work in airbrush's with .2MM or larger.

you are correct. But look at the bright side. You can shoot much more Burnt Sienna if you have less then .2mm :)

here is a screen shoot for other members of forum so they can see. Made by my great screen shoot capture add on for mozzila lol

Screenshot-2018-11-28 Golden Artist Colors, Inc High Flow Acrylic Colors.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think most people put a lot of stock in that chart though. They don't get brush or brand specific so ...

Idk how they do in infinities w .15's but I know a lot of people just use a little flow improver and thin slightly and run basically all the colors through .18 microns.

I found the web page a bit hard to understand. Not just the chart.
But as I am a beginner at this time I am somewhat overwhelmed most of the time. I am having fun though !

John V
John trying everything and seeing what works for you and what doesn't is half the fun too.
Golden High flow works great in micron sized nozzle set up but you may have to reduce some of the colors at lower PSI.
I have yet to use Golden reducer but have used their transparent base . I have found water and I add a bit of alcohol in it works great as a reducer . When I have mixed Golden and Wicked together and used the 4020 reducer I have not had any issues with flow either.
Depending on the surface you are painting on and pressure will make how much to reduce the paint the fun part of learning.

John trying everything and seeing what works for you and what doesn't is half the fun too.
Golden High flow works great in micron sized nozzle set up but you may have to reduce some of the colors at lower PSI.
I have yet to use Golden reducer but have used their transparent base . I have found water and I add a bit of alcohol in it works great as a reducer . When I have mixed Golden and Wicked together and used the 4020 reducer I have not had any issues with flow either.
Depending on the surface you are painting on and pressure will make how much to reduce the paint the fun part of learning.

Thank You Mr Micron for your kind words.

My Omni 5000 has a .5 mm tip and needle so I am not sure if I need to reduce GHF much if at all. So far it is the only paint I have been able to spray through the airbrush straight from the bottle . Not counting the food coloring I have used some. I have some Badger Air-Opaque I have tried with mixed results. Sometimes it works sometimes it won't work.
I am having erratic results with the paints and the AB . I am reasonably sure it is beginner issues that we all have to work through.

I purchased the AB used about a year ago, And at first I could not make it work at all. After discovering the Orange Airbrush Forum I started reading and reading. Now I know more than I did . I was able to fined and fix the following issues with my air compressor and airbrush.
Air leaks at air compressor and hose fittings. More air leaks in the airbrush as well. Benet needle tip. Bad air valve. Now that the airbrush is working I am trying to understand the mysterious interaction between air pressure and paint .

John V

Through your .5 CI(Createx Illustration ) Golden high flow and com-art will all run through with no reduction @30 PSI or less.
Yes when I started I was given an old Paasche VL that was about 35 years old and had been sitting for about 20 of those years. So I had to learn to do a total rebuild of it . But after I finally got it spraying paint I was hooked on airbrushing . Now I am just trying to get half way good at it but that is most of the fun doing it.

Yeah, I don't think most people put a lot of stock in that chart though. They don't get brush or brand specific so ...

Idk how they do in infinities w .15's but I know a lot of people just use a little flow improver and thin slightly and run basically all the colors through .18 microns.

I know the iridescent will clog a micron with the .18 in it

Back