For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Greetings from Milwaukee!

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by cgallery, Feb 3, 2019.

1. cgallery

cgallery Young Tutorling

Hi everyone. Just signed-up to ask a question about threads in use by various manufacturers.

My name is Phil and I use my airbrush to finish my woodworking projects. For small projects I might shoot the entire thing with an airbrush, for larger projects I might just shoot inside corners and other difficult locations, and roll/brush the rest.

I use a Badger 250-4 airbrush, which is a higher volume siphon type with a 4-Oz. jar.

My current and new-to-me air compressor is an Air-Force AF33-4. It is very much like an ancient version of a Silentaire 50-TC. I think these are about 35 years old!

It is an oldie but a goodie. I got it on eBay for $109 shipped, and it was in sad shape. The unit had polyurethane glue dripped on it, the pressure switch cover was broken in two spots and covered in glue, the oil looked to be old/unchanged for some time, the plug's ground was loose, and there were other issues.

I got the glue cleaned off the painted surfaces, I ordered a $15 pressure switch from eBay and swapped the cover over, I got the oil changed with the right 10W synthetic stuff, I polished-up the chrome finish, I installed a new gauge (stock gauge was defective), moved the regulator to a beam by my workbench, and then went to put a new plug on it when I discovered the wiring to the pressure switch and from the pressure switch to the pump was all bad. The insulation on the inner conductors was dried and easily cracked. I think it would have been fine it I didn't disturb it. But I decided to swap it all out. Luckily the wiring from the pump's terminal block to the pump itself was all good!

I picked-up some SJOOW in 16/3 and replaced all the wiring.

I used it for about 1-1/2 hours yesterday and it was a champ.

I've come here to ask a question about thread sizes because I wanted to adapt a small air blow gun from my old compressor to the 1/8" quick disconnect on my airbrush hose. I figured the answer out myself a while after posting that thread, and I'll go update it now.

My hope in joining this forum is to learn from others about better ways to use the gear I have now, better ways to thin, I'd be interested in learning about ways to achieve textures with paints, etc. If possible. I'll probably spend most of my time just reading what you guys share, as I don't really have much to offer at this point.

ANYWAY, here is a pic of my "new" compressor. The label still needs to be cleaned-up but I'm researching ways to do that w/o ruining it.

Thanks for hosting this site!

IMG_4886.JPG
    Sali, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  2. Nokie

Nokie Triple Actioner

Welcome aboard. Lots of great info and reading to be had here.
    Fantastic job on the “new” compressor. If you wouldn’t of said anything I’d have thought it was new.
    Oh yeah... I’d love to see some of your woodworking. From a fellow... well not really a woodworker but more like a... the wife points something out she likes and I have to figure out a way to build it.
    So anytime you want to share post some up in the open bar
  3. cgallery

cgallery Young Tutorling

Thanks and nice to meet you.

Alright I'll post stuff but some of it is likely cringe-worthy.
    John O'Brien likes this.
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Welcome from New Zealand... we all started cringe worthy... post away! :)
  5. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Welcome from the U.K. I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Welcome from Australia.
  7. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Welcome to the forum from China!
  8. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

Welcome to the forum!
  9. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Welcome from the UK. Lots of great info here. You can use the search function to find stuff, or just shout out. We're a worldwide family and usually someone awake somewhere, so people should get back to you pretty quick. Enjoy!
  10. Sali

Sali Double Actioner

Welcome aboard.