H&S Evolution

If your paint is spidering then your paint is to thin for the pressure you're using.
Seeing as you haven't thinned your paint then you must lower your pressure.
20-25psi is a good starting point but just keep lowering the psi until it stop spidering

I am going to echo Jackster, lower your psi. Though I love Createx, if you have your heart set on com-art then don't give up just yet.

It is pretty thin, so maybe start at 15 and see how it goes. When I reduce I go as low as 10, and I know some go to 5, you just haven't found its sweetspot yet I think.

I was shooting @5 psi on the regulator and mac valve almost closed. At one time i didnt think i was getting air..lol. Im not giving up on it yet but i do like how CI sprays
Rick

if your pressure is that low and youre still getting spiders then maybe you are just moving the brush to slow, either that or the needle isn't seated properly and its letting to much paint through ? do you get paint without pulling back ?
What substrate are you using ? eg Printer paper / glass both can be unforgiving of spiders

With time and confidence you will speed up and spiders will be less. being to close to the paper will also create spiders if youre not moving quick enough.

it took me a significant amount of time to realise that the airbrush isn't used like a pencil very often at all, you don't always need to be close enough to the paper to risk hitting the needle on the paper. Unless you are doing eyelashes, hair detail then you can safely back it up to an inch (or more) depending on what you are wanting to achieve.

Are you just practising lines when you get the spidering ?

The cheap art pads / sketch pads from the dollar shop are good for doing exercises and getting your confidence in gear, just don't try any erasing techniques.

If you look in my gallery, "Clint" was done on a cheap A3 sketch pad, no erasing. and he was my first 'proper' painting and I haven't looked back since. He did wonders for my confidence

i know the h and s brushes are morw sensitive i feel because of the trigger set up, i feel that i needed to develop way more conteol to use my h and s cr plus and grex xgis2 brush, because the slightest touch on thwir teiggers you are getting paint, when your painting at such a low p.s.i just do some quick blast of paint on the side and make sure that thw brush indeed likes that reduction and p.s.i, thats what i do, the harder and steenbeck is alittle stubborn guy, and i have to do what it wants me to do, i know createx makes an inter coat i believe 4030 is the number that gives you better flow

I just wrote about distance on another thread, so I'm with Jackster there.

Also reading this I am now also wondering about the needle seat. If it's not situated properly paint could collect in the nozzle, and so when you pull back more paint os coming out than you would expect. Also are you getting any bubbles in the cup? There is the possibility that the nozzle is damaged or flared. Damage should show under a magnifying glass, flaring is harder to spot but you may be able to compare how far your needle sticks out with a photo. It os probably also worth soaking your nozzle for a while on some 4012, then taking a small paint brush with long enough bristles, and use it to poke around in there a bit, then back in the 4012, and repeat as necessary. When you reassemble, gently move the needle by hand to male sure its not sticky, spongy or gritty feeling. May as well eliminate all possibilities.

Also is this happening with more than one colour?

From working on paper what should i expect on this. A bunch of spiders at first. If thats going to happen im ok with it..i just dont like those kind of surprises, but if you tell me your going to spider like hell for awhile im ok with that.

Rick

From working on paper what should i expect on this. A bunch of spiders at first. If thats going to happen im ok with it..i just dont like those kind of surprises, but if you tell me your going to spider like hell for awhile im ok with that.

Rick

You will notice spidering just you have been but not worse by any means, the main point is just to give you a good practice substrate that will allow you get the control you want and also prepare you for other substrates that are less absorbent, it will also allow you to try out scratch, erase and effect techniques without too much material wastage, I live working on grasp because it suits my lack if patience, especially when it comes to spidering:)

Don't worry, once you get started working with it you will enjoy it, and you'll be more confident on expensive illustration boards and papers.

You can buy pre-made gessoed boards which go under the name of ampersand artist's board then you have more expensive ampersand clayboard, but its far cheaper to make your own for practice, no sense in throwing away in excess if $20 if there is high chance of messing and we all know practice just controlled messing up, lol

I love the gesso'd boards, wether its home made or bought. My main reason for suggesting the art pad is that it is forgiving, and will get your confidence going, allow you to start dialing in reductions/pressure etc. I'm not suggesting at all that the art pad is the end goal, but look at is as learning to drive. Some can jump straight into a stick shift and get it figured out in a week or less. Others just continue to struggle and wonder why they even bothered. But put that nervous driver into an automatic, let them learn the basics and then put them in a stick shift a few weeks down the track and they cope much better.

while you can gesso canvas panels but if you put enough gesso on there to get the smooth surface then you've kind of wasted a perfectly good canvas and a lot of gesso, just offcuts of MDF will work for what Malky has described.

I cant find any 1/8 inch mdf here. I have another possibility but need permission from its owner to use it. Its similar to a white erase board. And if i do the canvas panel can i still try scratch and erase practice

Rick

I cant find any 1/8 inch mdf here. I have another possibility but need permission from its owner to use it. Its similar to a white erase board. And if i do the canvas panel can i still try scratch and erase practice

Rick

It doesn't have to be 1/8, I normally use 1/4 inch because it's tougher but you can find 1/8 pre primed stuff they use for wardrobe and cupboard backing in some stores but you might have to buy a whole 8' x 4' sheet although they can usually cut it up to your specified sizes if you wish, with this stuff you'll use less gesso after giving it a good sending.

Your pad if you already have it will definitely be good enough for practising your brush control, you just can't scratch and erase on it without immediate damage.

Back