Harder & Steenbeck

Electric Cat Dude

Needle-chuck Ninja
Does anybody have any experience with this airbrush line? I've had a chance to view these on Amazon and they seem really high quality. I especially like the interchangeable threaded color cups. The line could give the ubiquitous Iwata/Olympos Micron series a good run for their money!

They are great brushes, extremely good quality in tolerance and finishes, very well balanced and works great!! I love mines!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Very good brushes. I love mine. They've been in Europe for many, many years and is bigger and cheaper there than in the US.

There are plenty of H&S users in this forum. I myself don’t own one, but they’re equivalent to Iwata. Some people say that the feel is a bit different (slight delay in spraying when pressing the trigger) but this must be only a question of getting used to it.

Only bad thing I can say about them is if you use the .15 nozzle/needle set up only run inks through the brush due to any type of paint will crack the nozzle. But the .2 set up is great. If you happen to own a micron and have used it for a long time you will notice a delay in spraying on the H&S as you pull back the trigger.
But over all the Infinity 2 in 1 has been a great brush.

I have several brushes from Harder and Steenbeck. In addition to the title brand, they also produce Grafo, and Hansa brushes now. All of them are now owned by Iwata, as well.

The fit and finish on a Harder and Steenbeck brush is really hard to beat. The quality of machine work is absolutely top notch. If you are accustomed to Japanese brushes, they can feel a bit different. They tend to be a bit bigger, with more room between trigger and tip. They do, however, balance very well in hand.

When I had my 1st Infinity CR, I felt like the trigger was mushy feeling, and there was an unpredictability to paint initiation that had me feeling less than confident with the brush. I know my way around a brush, and was simply unable to get a feel out of the trigger that I liked. I traded it to someone else, and they love the brush. I also read what I see as conflicting opinions about the trigger, so decided to give one another go. Glad I did, as it is a completely different feeling experience. The brush looks identical to my first, but feels very different. The trigger action is very smooth, and paint initiation very consistent. I do take advantage of the interchangeable color cups, including what they call a "micro cup", which is simply a ring that threads into the cup, making it in effect an "A" cup.

I probably reach for the Grafo T1 more than the Infinity. Maybe because it is just different. Same type fit and finish, but it has a fixed double action trigger. No need to press down, simply pull back for first air, then paint.

With that said, the Hansa 281 is the newest mark added to my collection, and it is vying for top spot among the current German makes. It is shorter and a little smaller than the other H&S marks, and works quite well. I have used it to complete a few projects, and have enjoyed the use of it. It too has the interchangeable color cups, but uses a different needle/nozzle combo than the other H&S brushes.

I have several brushes from Harder and Steenbeck. In addition to the title brand, they also produce Grafo, and Hansa brushes now. All of them are now owned by Iwata, as well.

The fit and finish on a Harder and Steenbeck brush is really hard to beat. The quality of machine work is absolutely top notch. If you are accustomed to Japanese brushes, they can feel a bit different. They tend to be a bit bigger, with more room between trigger and tip. They do, however, balance very well in hand.

When I had my 1st Infinity CR, I felt like the trigger was mushy feeling, and there was an unpredictability to paint initiation that had me feeling less than confident with the brush. I know my way around a brush, and was simply unable to get a feel out of the trigger that I liked. I traded it to someone else, and they love the brush. I also read what I see as conflicting opinions about the trigger, so decided to give one another go. Glad I did, as it is a completely different feeling experience. The brush looks identical to my first, but feels very different. The trigger action is very smooth, and paint initiation very consistent. I do take advantage of the interchangeable color cups, including what they call a "micro cup", which is simply a ring that threads into the cup, making it in effect an "A" cup.

I probably reach for the Grafo T1 more than the Infinity. Maybe because it is just different. Same type fit and finish, but it has a fixed double action trigger. No need to press down, simply pull back for first air, then paint.

With that said, the Hansa 281 is the newest mark added to my collection, and it is vying for top spot among the current German makes. It is shorter and a little smaller than the other H&S marks, and works quite well. I have used it to complete a few projects, and have enjoyed the use of it. It too has the interchangeable color cups, but uses a different needle/nozzle combo than the other H&S brushes.

Yeah I got the impression that Harder & Steenbeck was a conglomeration of manufacturers. I had wondered if they were formerly known as EFBE, but EFBE is still a separate airbrush maker from that region.

Yeah I got the impression that Harder & Steenbeck was a conglomeration of manufacturers. I had wondered if they were formerly known as EFBE, but EFBE is still a separate airbrush maker from that region.
No, they are not, nor have ever been part of Efbe. Efbe still has a mostly active website, but are in fact gone, gone, gone. They are still readily available in Europe, though. There is another German maker as well, Gabbert, that is very similar. Gabbert has acquired some of the older German brands, like Hiekle, which is a bit confusing, because some of the older Grafo models (pre-1950's) were also Heikle brushes, best I can tell o_O.

No, they are not, nor have ever been part of Efbe. Efbe still has a mostly active website, but are in fact gone, gone, gone. They are still readily available in Europe, though. There is another German maker as well, Gabbert, that is very similar. Gabbert has acquired some of the older German brands, like Hiekle, which is a bit confusing, because some of the older Grafo models (pre-1950's) were also Heikle brushes, best I can tell o_O.

Is this all in your head or do you have a chart written down to keep it all straight? Oh wait, I found your chart right here...a_crowded_and_confusing_relationship_chart_by_sapphiremiujewel_d5t50b7-fullview.jpg

I have the infinity '2 in 1' and it doesn't like Createx, its a great brush and performs well with my Etac EFX paints.

They were always a very small operation, with the brushes being made mostly by hand. I think they simply could no longer compete for market share. They are very, very nice brushes.

View attachment 59609

I'll confess I have virtually no experience with EFBE products, save I once had an EFBE catalog back in the 1990s. Looking at their website today, it looks like some sort of mom and pop outfit which handmade airbrushes for a bygone era where most customers appreciated high quality over mass production and cost savings. Yeah I could see a monolith like Iwata driving them out of business, like some sort of airbrush Walmart killing the downtown of Smallville. That's too bad.

I'll confess I have virtually no experience with EFBE products, save I once had an EFBE catalog back in the 1990s. Looking at their website today, it looks like some sort of mom and pop outfit which handmade airbrushes for a bygone era where most customers appreciated high quality over mass production and cost savings. Yeah I could see a monolith like Iwata driving them out of business, like some sort of airbrush Walmart killing the downtown of Smallville. That's too bad.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Gabbert is another German make, that looks like it is run out of someones basement. I think just in recent times they found a high end machine shop to produce some of their parts, but the batches still remain very small. They have pulled their international website down, but they are still there, and producing the last I heard.

triplex1.jpg

ye
Cause of you guys I went on google to check EFBE.
Found this site:
http://www.efbe-airbrush.de/start_e.htm

The interesting part is, when I click on price list, I see price list is from 2012.

Yes, the site is still there. But, all the contact links are dead, and such... I actually know the webmaster, and page designer, but have never asked him about the site. He publishes several magazines now.

I have gotten to know a few people living in Germany, so have acquired a few nice examples, as well as lots of information.

Only bad thing I can say about them is if you use the .15 nozzle/needle set up only run inks through the brush due to any type of paint will crack the nozzle. But the .2 set up is great. If you happen to own a micron and have used it for a long time you will notice a delay in spraying on the H&S as you pull back the trigger.
But over all the Infinity 2 in 1 has been a great brush.
Sorry to disagree, but I’ve put Mission Models Paint through a .15 nozzle/needle with no ill effects to the nozzle.

Back