Has anyone tried painting on glazed ceramic or porcelain floor tile?

Karl Becker

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Just curious. I can get 12"x12" tiles at Home Depot or Menards for a buck a piece, so the price is right. I'm just not sure how well the paint would adhere to a glazed surface. I suppose you could try to scuff it with sandpaper, but the glazing is pretty tough stuff, so I don't know if it would help.

Any thoughts?

Just curious. I can get 12"x12" tiles at Home Depot or Menards for a buck a piece, so the price is right. I'm just not sure how well the paint would adhere to a glazed surface. I suppose you could try to scuff it with sandpaper, but the glazing is pretty tough stuff, so I don't know if it would help.

Any thoughts?
Anyone that has ever dropped a bottle of wicked paint on the kitchen tiles and not found it until the next day can tell you it adheres pretry bloody well. LOL. If you were concerned you could use an adhesion promoter, or scuff the surface, but you probably don't need to. I would however use a paper towel with a touch of degreasser or alcohol in it to give them a good wipe down first.

Ceramic glaze isn't as smooth as it appears. That's why coffee or tea can stain cups. The big issue with it and paints is that finger prints and skin oils a can easily transfer to them, and they will prevent paint from sticking.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Luckily, I haven't dropped a bottle of paint...yet. :D

So, it's a feasible option as a hard canvas?
Can't see why it wouldn't be. Remember the surface is non porus, so paint can easily skate on it or spider. I'd recommending keeping pressure way down when working close and maybe working with it on a flat surface.

For paints, I'd probably use wicked or illustration colors with an adhesion promoter.

golden or aerocolor are more likely to skate if you are just starting out.

Truth is, with the right paint, you can airbrush just about anything.

Maybe consider spray bombing them with rattle can primer if you have trouble with spidering or skating.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks again Kim! You are a fountain of useful information. :)

I have some left over tile in the basement from a bathroom job I did. I'll play around with it and see what happens.

As Kim said, its worth a try. a good clean and try it, if you have adhesion problems maybe try a transparent sealer (autoair transparent sealer #6000) it worked well on a car I was painting for my daughter. I just scuffed it with maroon scotch pads, quick layer of trans sealer and then a rough and ready graphic job and it stuck like :poo: to a blanket

Back