Help, I don't understand a compressor

S

Squeezy Jefferson

I finally got a compressor. Years later. I got the hose, ect. Everything is now set up. I don't understand it.
I can control the regulator and get that number right, but the other gauge? That number goes up to 180. From 120 to 180 is the red zone. I looked up videos, but found nothing. How high is it supposed to go? Is it supposed to stay at a certain number the whole time? Mine just keeps creeping up and I don't know if it's dangerous, or basically I don't understand anything at all about it. It just seems like the red zone would indicate something sinister. Thank you in advanced.

That gauge is tank pressure....It should have a switch (or whatever it is called) to shut the compressor off when it reaches a certain psi....My 6 gallon, 2 hp one shuts down at 110 psi.

damn, your quick Husky....

Squeezy, the number on the airsupply (regulated) line will be set depending on several criteria
what airbrush/paint/reduction you are using, and there is no magic recipe for that before you ask.

always set your regulator with the airbrush trigger pressed, that will then give you your working pressure.
if you are doing highly detailed work with illustration paint / ink for a painting your working pressure would likely be sub 20psi - if you are doing t-shirts with fabric paint then your working pressure would likely be ~ 50 - 60 psi

damn, your quick Husky....

Yea I'm bored. Listening comedy central on youtube while I am doing reading. And this comedy central is omg booring. All the girls are doing is having jokes about sex... Still waiting to see if I will find one which has something different to talk about. At least guys are talking politics, social stuff and so on. Girls are more or less the same...

Maybe just to mention. The one gauge which you OP is confusing to you, is set by factory and don't try to do anything to it. :)

So the tank gauge can just go all the way to 180 and that's no problem? I mean, it can just live in the red zone? It sounds like it's gonna burst.

What brand and how old? If it has been used has it been drained ? (To remove any condensation in the tank)

Weren't you the one using fish compressor or something? Let us show what you got now. You were looking for same small tank compressor right?

Yes. I used a fish tank air pump. Now I've got a California air tools, light and quiet air compressor, 1p1060S. It's quite nice. I've been letting my son use it in the garage. Yes we drained it, but there was nothing in the tank. The next time I turn it on to use it, I'll let it go all the way and just see if it shuts off at some point, then start again. Thank you for the article.

I don't look at pressure gauge from tank.
My routine:
a) I turn on compressor
b) I close release valve
c) I run from compressor in to other room so I can hide behind a wall
d) I light my smoke
e) I wait if something gonna blow in compressor room
f) All good cause I got wall between me and my compressor :cool:

After replying on this post and researching the California Air compressor, I bit the bullet and bought one....1p1060S unit. I have a pancake one now and could not airbrush late at night. Now when I can't sleep, I can go out to the shed and play....
The one I have now, when it kicks on, will scare the crap out me and send my animal companions running for the hills.
I get it on Saturday and can't wait....I ordered it off Amazon and the total price with taxes in, was only $212 Canadian. So glad I started saving my pennies....

Back