help needed with my painting

beginner-James

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I'm really stuck and how to correct this back ground and would like some help

this is my reference image
Anna%2527s_Hummingbird_b13-44-004_l.jpg

and this is my painting.

20180807_065718.jpg

there is green on the painting. I was going to attack the painting with more green today however is this the right path to go down next

Beginner-James

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as back ground you can do what calls to you. You can make it look like your reference or if you want to go more simple you can just have an all blue back ground.
You can do an out of focus foliage back ground something like I did on this one.
IMG_0914.JPG
Nothing wrong with giving it your personnel take on the back ground and making it your own.

Thank you for your comments herb I will take it on board.
I would like to try and reproduce the background in my reference first and if it doesn't work out I will block if with a solid blue/green
it's a point of personal pride
Beginner-James

Thank you for your comments herb I will take it on board.
I would like to try and reproduce the background in my reference first and if it doesn't work out I will block if with a solid blue/green
it's a point of personal pride
Beginner-James
I’m far from an expert on this or any type of painting, but if you try free handing some green it might soften the sharp edge of the pink. Although there’s a risk of the green shifting. As Herb said, you can always cover it. Or start again, it’s only paint and paper after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siroxx would I be better off giving it a light/thin coat of white first to stop slow the colour shift.
green and pink/red will turn it brown I think

Beginner-James

let me see if I can get you going on this back ground and you already have had some solid advice but here is what I would do : I would spray a real transparent green with out masking the shapes but freehand then I would tone down the green "edge" with a light coat yellow as for pinkish color : I would spray away from the green so I would not get over spray on the green and I would use my last layer of that color to also mist over the light coat yellow and pull the green and pinkish color together

My approach would be to mix a white with a few drops of veridian, make it light as that’s what it is :)
I would then do the same but use Megenta and then a blue violet
I would spray the bottom with white until it’s covered, then paint the green / pinky / blue tones,

As everyone’s pointed out, you can get away with anything!! There’s great suggestions here, but if you want accuracy you would be best using an opaque paint matched as close as you can :)

Definitely go with the suggestions from Ron and Mac, they will steer you far better than I can Bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a real background or was the bird cut and pasted on a digitally created background?

Remember, it's your art and you can do anything you want, including not making your life more difficult by trying to match a PIA background that isn't all that special.

Back