Hi

M

marika

Hi Everyone
I was so excited to find this forum! I’ve been doing art for a while but only just recently got interest getting into airbrushing. Can you please let me know what the best airbrush to use for murals - this is for a design I created for one of our bedrooms. How ‘big’ or ‘powerful’ the airbrush has to be for large surfaces? Does the airbrush you get depends on the paint you use too? Thanks a lot, Marika

Hi Marika. Are you planning on doing more than the one mural?

Brushes that are perfect for murals are a tdibit more expensive than can be justified for a single mural in my opinion.

So I will make a recommendation based on that.

Welcome from the UK. How large will the mural be? I would also give some thought to the size of compressor you plan to use, a large area like that will need something with a decent tank on it. Also what paint are you hoping to use, and how detailed/fiddly is the mural? Do you hope to use the airbrush for any other work afterwards, and if so, what type of thing. This will help us point you in the right direction. If there is a lot of large areas with a single colour for example, it may be easier to use a mini hvlp, and then use an airbrush more suited for general use for the more detailed areas.

Welcome Marika. The others have asked all the questions I have, so I’ll wait for the reply then we can start bombarding you with answers [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from Australia,

Where do you call home Marika ? it will help us suggest local reputable suppliers.
Airbrushing a large mural will enevitably cause a lot of overspray if you are doing larger areas of colour so keep that in mind...... you'll need a mask of some description too.

Welcome to the forum Marika, looks like the others have you covered for the moment. When we find out a little more info the answers will start to arrive.

Lee

Hi Marika. Are you planning on doing more than the one mural?

Brushes that are perfect for murals are a tdibit more expensive than can be justified for a single mural in my opinion.

So I will make a recommendation based on that.

Hi, yes I would use it for more. The one in our house will be practice run to try out techniques.

Option 1
Iwould recommend a
richpen gp-2
Ordered direct from fuso seiki.

A sparmax gp 50 or NEO trn2 would be a little cheaper , little less quality version of this.

Especially for it's side mounted cup.
This means you can rotate it so getting close to, or even on the ceiling will be no problem.

Option 2
I would recommend a generic spraygun exactly like this one
Stressing
..only just like this one.
Because this recommendation has often been misconstrued as any old generic detail or touch up gun and that's not what I mean.

https://www.google.com/search?q=touch up spray gun harbor freight&client=ms-android-americamovil-us&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK5p29ibbeAhWNo4MKHRM-DMIQ_AUIDCgD&biw=320&bih=490#imgrc=tA2y5uRLhPVnVM

Plus a good solid airbrush like an eclipse or anthem 155

You could probably get away without the gun if you had eclipse hp-bcs or anthem 155
But its $15 and saves a lot if time on fills.

Option 3
On a pretty tight budget
Badger 150
And some regular brushes and sponges.

Keep in mind a compressor that will run the spray gun is usually around $100

Same for one that will run the airbrushes for the amount of time needed for mural work.

There are some other options for a crazy super tight budget but most would be considered single use equipment.

But if that's the case i could still come up with something that's at least the best of the worst if you want....

Option 1
Iwould recommend a
richpen gp-2

A sparmax gp 50 or NEO trn2 would be a little cheaper , little less quality version of this.

This means you can rotate it so getting close to, or even on the ceiling will be no problem.

Option 2
Stressing
Because this recommendation has often been misconstrued as any old generic detail or touch up gun and that's not what I mean.

https://www.google.com/search?q=touch up spray gun harbor freight&client=ms-android-americamovil-us&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK5p29ibbeAhWNo4MKHRM-DMIQ_AUIDCgD&biw=320&bih=490#imgrc=tA2y5uRLhPVnVM

You could probably get away without the gun if you had eclipse hp-bcs or anthem 155

Option 3
On a pretty tight budget
Badger 150

Same for one that will run the airbrushes for the amount of time needed for mural work.

There are some other options for a crazy super tight budget but most would be considered single use equipment.

But if that's the case i could still come up with something that's at least the best of the worst if you want....
Option 1
Iwould recommend a
richpen gp-2

Option 2
Stressing

Option 3
On a pretty tight budget
Badger 150

Thank you Robbirockett2. I really appreciate your help! I’m not sure if I meant to delete your writing above in my reply. Just figuring out how to use the forum and newsfeeds .

Hi Everybody, thank you so much for your guidance. I’m looking to do large size works. I can use brushwork to cover large area if that’s an option but then I want to do deatailed work with the airbrush. My natural drawing style is detailed. I will upload a photo to show. I have done a basic mural before with brushwork. I’ll upload that photo too. I would absolutely love to use fluorescent paint too to do cosmos on a photo that I will also upload. I have no idea what airbrush I need or what fluorescence paint I can use but I’m determined to learn because it’s awesome. So please teach me
I live in the UK if that helps. Thank you guys!

Attachments

• 9F3F84E0-EDC9-491C-986A-353219013392.jpeg
    9F3F84E0-EDC9-491C-986A-353219013392.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 15
The second photo is the mural I’ve done before and the third is an example photo that i’d like to achieve. Thanks!

Welcome from the UK. How large will the mural be? I would also give some thought to the size of compressor you plan to use, a large area like that will need something with a decent tank on it. Also what paint are you hoping to use, and how detailed/fiddly is the mural? Do you hope to use the airbrush for any other work afterwards, and if so, what type of thing. This will help us point you in the right direction. If there is a lot of large areas with a single colour for example, it may be easier to use a mini hvlp, and then use an airbrush more suited for general use for the more detailed areas.

Hi Squishy, thanks for your reply. Please read my latest post in the thread below.

Welcome Marika. The others have asked all the questions I have, so I’ll wait for the reply then we can start bombarding you with answers [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi SiRoxx, thank you. Please read my latest post in the thread below.

Welcome from Australia,

Where do you call home Marika ? it will help us suggest local reputable suppliers.
Airbrushing a large mural will enevitably cause a lot of overspray if you are doing larger areas of colour so keep that in mind...... you'll need a mask of some description too.

Hi JackEb, thanks for replying. Please read my latest post in the thread below.

Welcome to the forum Marika, looks like the others have you covered for the moment. When we find out a little more info the answers will start to arrive.

Lee

Hi Lee, thanks! Please read my latest post in the thread below.

Back