How can I keep paint wet a bit longer?

Drew Weininger

Young Tutorling
Hello All.

I have a question about keeping my paint wet for a bit longer after I've sprayed it.

I'm using Createx paints and when I spray them they dry fast. Almost within 30 seconds they are "dry-ish".

I'm wanting to sprinkle some Metal Flake onto the wet paint. The flakes need wet paint to stick to but by the time I switch brushes from my paint brush to my flake sprayer, the paint is too dry.
Would I need to add a slow reducer or something? I guess, I don't know the difference between slow and fast reducers.

I tried spraying the paint on thick but then it ran so... bad idea there.

Put a clear coat down first where you want the flake. Maybe try the Createx uvls clear and just brush it on where you want it then put your flake on, let it dry, continue on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try running the UVLS clear a little thicker and putting on a heavier coat. It can be laid on so that it just looks a little milky. With more material on the surface it will dry slower. It takes a bit of practice and may run a couple times to begin with, but that’s what test panels are for.
I’m sure there’s a video using dry flake and UVLS Clear. It may be on the S M Designs YouTube channel.

The Binder used in this isn’t branded as Createx. But I’m pretty sure it’s UVLS clear on a different bottle. Simon Murray is the main European distributor for Createx and Flake King. Makes sense he’s bel able to pull that off.

That's a part of using an airbrush that takes a little getting used to if you want to try the sort of thing you are. If atomized properly, the paint is basically dry as soon as it hits the canvas. I also never considered brushing a clear on. I'll have to pack that little nugget away for future use.

The Binder used in this isn’t branded as Createx. But I’m pretty sure it’s UVLS clear on a different bottle. Simon Murray is the main European distributor for Createx and Flake King. Makes sense he’s bel able to pull that off.

I could learn to not like this place..... a metal flake dragon sounds soooooo cool ! my cart has goodies.. now to think about it for 10 min , over a coffee.... must not.... but why not... aaaaagggghhhhh

I could learn to not like this place..... a metal flake dragon sounds soooooo cool ! my cart has goodies.. now to think about it for 10 min , over a coffee.... must not.... but why not... aaaaagggghhhhh
It does sound cool. I have the mini flake king for the airbrush and it is really cool. Very nicely made and works great! I need to come up with a project to use it again.

Save yourself the mental anguish and do it! It's only money, right?
giphy.gif

I don’t argue with myself for very long, I always end up getting stuff in the end anyway... it sits in my brain whispering ‘buy me .... buy me , you know you need new toys’

You can spray the UVLS through your brush too and then put the flake on. using the flake king adapter or a shaker bottle, works really well. Edit just use the 4011 Reducer it will slow down the dry time - it's finding that "sweet spot" between "wet enough" and not running the product.

Awesome thanks guys.

I brushed on some UVLS and even then, it dried pretty quickly. I basically had to have my miki flake king ready to go. It was frustrating because I would be applying flake and there would be patches where the flake wouldn't stick, I'd touch the spot and it would be dry. I put on ULVS Gloss with a 2" brush. T

I'm going to try again and add in the 4011 reducer. It says it has more "open" time. I'm guessing that means it stays wet a bit longer?

Awesome thanks guys.

I brushed on some UVLS and even then, it dried pretty quickly. I basically had to have my miki flake king ready to go. It was frustrating because I would be applying flake and there would be patches where the flake wouldn't stick, I'd touch the spot and it would be dry. I put on ULVS Gloss with a 2" brush. T

I'm going to try again and add in the 4011 reducer. It says it has more "open" time. I'm guessing that means it stays wet a bit longer?
What if you try using a regular 2 k clear or maybe even sizing for leaf? I know for most of those flake guns they recommend applying a coat of 2 k clear the spraying it with the flake. That’s crazy the even the uvls drys too quick. I don’t have any experience with the uvls, just figured it would have stayed open longer like a tradition clear.

Awesome thanks guys.

I did read a tip on their website about using just air to 'push' the flake into the clear/binder if its started to flash off. could be worth a try.
if you aren't getting any joy then you may just have to buy the binder..

You could try a drop and I mean literally a drop of glycerine (you can get it from the chemist/pharmacy or maybe even a supermarket) in your full cup of paint, I put 4 drops in a 4oz / 120ml of home made reducer from a recipe supposed to be similar to 4011. I also had some Condition Air from Etac which did the same thing, and reduced tip dry.

Lee

Back