How I set up my airbrush for the paint im using

basepaint

Air-Valve Autobot!
I see alot of new people having problems with there airbrush with it spraying badly with the paint there using? So I hope this helps getting your paint to spray good,

1. Start with a clean (and I mean clean)airbrush.
2.strain the paint (a small peice of nylon stocking put under the lid works well)
3.Starting with reducer put 3 drops of it in the airbrush, then add 7 drops of your paint to the reducer and mix well!
4.Ajust the air pressure to 40 p.s.i. (not sure how many bars that is for the other side of the world.)
5.try a test spray and see how it sprays?
If it won't spray add another drop or 2 of reducer or turn up the pressure ,test again?if it spider's lower your pressure till it sprays good
6.keep adjusting the paint or the pressure one or the other not both so you know what works then
7. Write it down so it gives you a starting point next time.
8.Next time you start painting start at the pressure and paint/reducer you wrote down! (Due to changes in the weather you might have to add/reduce pressure or paint/reducer)
8. Have fun asthats what its about!

well written Basepaint, the only 'edit' I would make is the stocking over the neck of the bottle.
I did this with a bottle when I started. when the bottle hasn't been used for awhile the paint partially dries, just because its isolated from the rest of the liquid, resulting in particles being released... into the airbrush cup :eek:
I now use a piece of stocking over the nozzle as I use ... holding it around the bottle suffices... drop it in a bucket of water at the end of the session, rinse and peg on the line...... must look odd to the neighbours :D

I used to take all my bottles at the end of my painting session over to my sink and remove the stocking from the top and give it a good rinse. Then I would put it in a piece of paper towel and pinch it between my fingers. After taking the bottle nozzle apart I rinse it clean and shake off water and re-assemble the bottle. Now we have a clean bottle neck with no chance of dried paint getting in the cup.

Clean brush, clean bottle and properly reduced paint; we are good to go.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Nice one basepaint :) I would add that the stocking over the neck works great, but be aware that with heavier pigmented paint you are concentrating what is left in the bottle. By the time you gat to the last third of the bottle you can add trasparent base (or equivalent to the brand of paint used) to balance it out again, so not a big deal.

Also, 3 drops of reducer is a good starting point, however some transparent colours may not need it, so just something to bear in mind :)

I see this thread getting better and better as more Airbrush artist add little thing they do!Thanks everyone.

I am confused on the 40PSI ? I never go above 35 PSI unless I am doing textile .
But Like some I tried the nylon under the lid and when I was finished I would rinse it out and set it aside until next time. That way I can seal the paint bottle better.
Prior to using a bottle be it brand new or a used one I use a drink mixer to stir up the paint in the bottle .
But I can see this being a helpful thread .

I see alot of new people having problems with there airbrush with it spraying badly with the paint there using? So I hope this helps getting your paint to spray good,

1. Start with a clean (and I mean clean)airbrush.
2.strain the paint (a small peice of nylon stocking put under the lid works well)
3.Starting with reducer put 3 drops of it in the airbrush, then add 7 drops of your paint to the reducer and mix well!
4.Ajust the air pressure to 40 p.s.i. (not sure how many bars that is for the other side of the world.)
5.try a test spray and see how it sprays?
If it won't spray add another drop or 2 of reducer or turn up the pressure ,test again?if it spider's lower your pressure till it sprays good
6.keep adjusting the paint or the pressure one or the other not both so you know what works then
7. Write it down so it gives you a starting point next time.
8.Next time you start painting start at the pressure and paint/reducer you wrote down! (Due to changes in the weather you might have to add/reduce pressure or paint/reducer)
8. Have fun asthats what its about!
Is 40 psi normal. Seems a bit high ?

I was under the impression it should be 25. Maybe that’s what I’m doing wrong. I’ll try that. I’m using an iwata neo with wicked paint and can’t get it right it either clogs or splatters. I have tried straight out of the bottle and thinned. Very frustrated

Back