how to disassemble Paasche Talon Air valve assembly

jakessofa

Double Actioner
Kia ora team,

So, after some helpful tips on my introduction, I definitely have the Talon working better, but I think the air valve is a still bit sticky.
I've taken the Valve casting off (TAL-14) with the allen key and cleaned the ball of the assembly, which definitely made an improvement.
But how the hell do I unscrew the actual assembly (TAL-32) to clean in there? that thing is tight.
I was thinking of padding a joint plier wrench, but I'd hate to damage it

Cheers
Jake

Access would normally be by removing the bottom part TAL-22 and then taking out the spring and plunger. Maybe if you screw it all back on then try to undo the bottom part.

Lee

Word of warning... Do yourself a strong favor. Unscrew the retaining plate on the bottom of the air valve (tal-22) over a large bowl with paper towel to pad it. I have had those the spring on those things come out like a rocket, bounce off a counter and into the void, never to be seen again. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes on the rare occasion it does. Save yourself a painful few hours on your knees with a flashlight looking under all your furniture swearing at the top of your lungs. Make sure that if it comes out, it gets caught and has something padded (like paper towel) to absorb any bounce of any part that comes out.

The springs can be surprisingly strong sometimes and catch you off guard.

I speak from bitter experience. I've had to order whole new air valves for my Iwatas, Paasche and H&S brushes. I am a very big guy with big gorilla hands and I am not so good at small parts without a safety box and tweezers.

Learn from my failures. LOL

Access would normally be by removing the bottom part TAL-22 and then taking out the spring and plunger. Maybe if you screw it all back on then try to undo the bottom part.

Lee
Yeah tried that immediately, because i've loosened the main point, the TAL-22 part is way tighter and so doesn't loosen up

Word of warning... Do yourself a strong favor. Unscrew the retaining plate on the bottom of the air valve (tal-22) over a large bowl with paper towel to pad it. I have had those the spring on those things come out like a rocket, bounce off a counter and into the void, never to be seen again. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes on the rare occasion it does. Save yourself a painful few hours on your knees with a flashlight looking under all your furniture swearing at the top of your lungs. Make sure that if it comes out, it gets caught and has something padded (like paper towel) to absorb any bounce of any part that comes out.

The springs can be surprisingly strong sometimes and catch you off guard.

I speak from bitter experience. I've had to order whole new air valves for my Iwatas, Paasche and H&S brushes. I am a very big guy with big gorilla hands and I am not so good at small parts without a safety box and tweezers.

Learn from my failures. LOL

that is a great point

Probably a good thing I didn't get it off yet

Back