HP-SB+ 0.2mm vs Infinity 0.15mm

.... or you could try some thread tape around the base of the cup. Two or three wraps would probably fix it. All without glueing it in. So you would be able to take it off for cleaning but would have to re-apply the thread tape again.

Andy

Andy, yep its just metal on metal with NO seal and just pushes in. It is totally unlike the Evolution or Infinity which do have seals and are screwed on. However I tried thread tape and it did help but I could see paint on the tape, at the cup to body join, after spraying. So it stopped the cup pinging off and it helped the paint cup leak but didn't stop it. Maybe if the acrylic paint dries it will act as a sealer with the tape but I'd worry bits would go in the paint after time.
Still it certainly is an improvement and it's better than glue, cheers.

AndreZa, I've looked at the loctite and it looks good.
I actually have some "Non hardening sealing compound for metal thread joints" is that the same sort of thing?
I use it on thread joints on my compressor and air hoses, I prefer it to tape. I thought about using it but the paint cup and the hole it goes in, are super smooth metal so I didn't think it would work, as there is nothing for stuff to grip onto. Would it work?
Does the Blue removable Loctite harden after 24 hours?
Thanks for your suggestion guys, it's really helpful.

I can only assume the cup is a taper fit so the thread tape should work quite well. Maybe you need a couple more layers and really force it in.
I noticed on your signature you are awaiting a AB 800. This is my preferred gun of choice for candies at the moment. Its never let me down and actually works quite well for a chinese knock off!

Andy

Hi Andy,
Here's a good picture of the Ultra 2ml Paint Cup for the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra Airbrush click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures. You can see how narrow it is at the bottom of the cup. I'm gonna leave the paint cup in as it is right now and see how it goes. I don't really need to take the cup out unless it pings out or there is another problem. So fingers crossed. It didn't paint as well yesturday as it did the day before so I'm going to mess about abit more with it before I throw money at it. Pleased with the paint cup situation though.

I really don't understand why H&S do this. If I was them I'd put a fixed cup on the Ultra and have a 3ml cup size instead of this set up with loose 2ml or 5ml cup options. I would think this would mean less production costs as it would be one standard model as an introduction airbrush and a cup size that is not too small or too big. No stupid cup leaks or falling off problems and they could put a bigger opening at the bottom of the cup for cleaning, job sorted.

Thanks for the info on the AB800, I don't have a bottom feed so I was curious to try one out. Looking forward to getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheaper in machining costs that way they can keep the cost down and sell it cheaper same reason they have the one piece air cap/regulator that doesn't have a air cap that screws off

Hi John,
Yes exactly, they want to keep the costs down so I'd think this would be a great solution as they won't be making 2 cups and there would never be a chance of the cups falling out or leaking. I think beginners have enough to deal with, without a problematic cup. You can buy the air/nozzle cap but you can't do anything about the loose cup (except thread tape which is not exceptable). It's such a shame because apart from the cup, it's a really good airbrush and very versitile with the upgradeable parts. Thats the reason I choose it in the 1st place but the problems I had with the cup (and other things) just put me off and I went to Iwata airbrushes. I still like the idea of an Evolution or an Infinity though just to give them another chance but I'm running out of money :)

Anyway, I've just written to Harder & Steenbeck to ask about the loose cup problems I have on my Ultra and if this is common or if I got a faulty one.
I also suggested a new design with a fixed cup for the Ultra so I'm curious what they will say :)
cheers Mel

I got an email back from Harder and Steenbeck today and they said the loose paint cup is NOT a known problem for the Ultra otherwise they would have changed the design. They asked me to send it to them to look at. So I've just sent my Ultra off to Germany and I'm very curious what they think of it.
I'll keep you posted.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has an Iwata HP-B+ or SB+ 0.2mm and an Infinity 0.2mm and/or 0.15mm and can tell me what they are like to work with compared to each other.
Is there a noticable difference in atomization, trigger to paint responce, easy of getting finelines, clogging, paint reductions needed, cleaning etc.?
cheers Mel

Back