hvlp on wall murals

kurgan

Young Tutorling
Morning ive been doing a lot wall murals lately mostly jungle and jungle book themes ,ive seen a few videos on people using hvlp sb to go backgrounds and even detail work,im just wondering what paint they use and sticking a complete bottle of createx through it sounds a bit expensive,also has anybody put reduced emulsion/wall paint through a hvlp,might give it a go myself just looking for pointers (what to reduce it with ect)

Attachments

• 56396096_2183349511753696_2541759665792876544_n.jpg
    56396096_2183349511753696_2541759665792876544_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14
I’ve done a few murals. I’ve “cheated” and used a paint roller for a blue background and airbrushed clouds on top. So, mixed media. Iwata RG-3 is a popular gun for murals. Round pattern like an airbrush. Comes in different nozzle sizes. I don’t think it can handle wall paint though. Createx makes a theme park paint called Scenix. That may be a good option for you.

Yes, i do it plenty. Yes you can thin out housepaint with water, though washer fluid dries quicker.
Thinned out artist acrylic, thinned out craft paints, they all work. Stick to the $1.50 craft paint though not the $.50 stuff.

Scenix or Rosco are good too. Basically housepaint with pure pigments so you can mix colors correctly.

Yes, i do it plenty. Yes you can thin out housepaint with water, though washer fluid dries quicker.
Thinned out artist acrylic, thinned out craft paints, they all work. Stick to the $1.50 craft paint though not the $.50 stuff.

Scenix or Rosco are good too. Basically housepaint with pure pigments so you can mix colors correctly.
Hey, do you know if pigment size is different between wall paint (latex) and something like scenix? I’ve only ever sprayed latex through an airless.

Hey, do you know if pigment size is different between wall paint (latex) and something like scenix? I’ve only ever sprayed latex through an airless.
I'm not real sure on pigment size.
House paint is kind of a different animal, it uses dark,neutral or whiteish pigment for hide, then basically gets toner added for color.

I know on a full size hvlp a 1.6 with latex mixed about 3:1 p:r with water works great.

Mini 1.0s take a touch more.

Scenix, Rosco and other scenic paints just actually use pigment , so you get pure colors that don't fade really, and you can reduce it a lot more because it doesn't have to go on thick.

Otherwise they are pretty similar.

Back