I can't decide

well that looks like a mighty fine start to me James :)

and you are right, we learn by our mistakes and just remember, a 'master' is just someone who has made more mistakes than you lol

Jackie
I would like to thank you for your kind positive comments, You are always so thought full, wise, also encouraging. I really didn't know whether to post my painting as it's not that good but I suppose given the conditions I was working under it's a lesson that maybe I needed. I also think if I hadn't broken the top layer of the paper I would have stayed two or three more hours but his compressor was really struggling (over heating and cutting out on me). The point of the lesson was to learn also just to make sure I was painting with my brush correctly mixing paint, holding brush correctly so on but also to make sure I was heading in the right direction with technique.

I learnt you use over spray to my benefit, use the dark parts of a area to start a stroke. not to get hung up on adding or spending too much time on detail. to look at a painting as a jigsaw and shapes rather than a hole painting I know I know this is what you have all been telling me for free.

for instance why spend 2-3 hours on one eye and then go over to the other eye , to find out you have fluffed up the second eye. paint both eye at the same time because they will most likely better match each other I think I've explained that correctly.

But the main Lesson was to enjoy my self and my painting and not be so hard on myself.

progress will come better when I start to enjoy my self. I started the lesson by showing that dot's dagger strokes blends where fine on practice paper but when It come to the painting I struggle to produce the same quality on my art.
Is it just down to more practice that it will get better on my art or am I missing some thing ??

James

Practice is the key. Mistakes will be made, but that's how we learn. My advice, just pay attention to your reference. Paint exactly what you see, little sections at a time, and you'll be amazed at what you've accomplished. Once you are familiar with your subject through practice, you'll be able to paint it from your mind. After about a thousand skulls, you pretty much know how to paint a skull. :)

Thank you Paul that means a lot to me.
I was telling my Tutor how amazing your art is. I want to grow up just like you.
James
All I have done is apply myself! Practiced the excrement out of it and done 1 course a year to push me further,
Signing up for the Foxy course will be money well spent!

But the main Lesson was to enjoy my self and my painting and not be so hard on myself.

progress will come better when I start to enjoy my self. I started the lesson by showing that dot's dagger strokes blends where fine on practice paper but when It come to the painting I struggle to produce the same quality on my art.
Is it just down to more practice that it will get better on my art or am I missing some thing ??

James

we are all to hard on ourselves, yes that includes @musicmacd... he's as critical of his own work as we are on our own, yet most of us would give a limb to be where he is lol

If a painting doesnt end up where we thought it would we have only 'wasted' some paint and paper and a bit of time. Kittens didnt die and the world will continue to turn and chances are you learnt what not to do on the next project.

You obviously enjoy what you are acheiving what you are doing or you wouldnt keep going, so thats all that matters. .... enjoying what you are doing.

as for the 'fine on practice paper but struggle on the piece that matters' well that is your brain causing that. . . I've done it, still do it......
Practise paper=no pressure , real piece=brain cell destroying pressure
on the practice paper your brain knows it doesnt matter what is produced because its a throw away piece of paper so you just 'go for it' . . . but on the bit that matters your brain implodes with 'what if '

Learn to relax, and if that means a quick shot of Mr.Micron moonshine to relax then so be it . . you'll be amazed the difference it makes if you relax and go with it.

After a while, you will find that practicing on newspaper print or low quality paper isn't the best to practice on. After you've messed around with the brush and have conquered the psi, reduction part of learning, I would suggest that you "practice" on better quality surfaces. The reason is that some of your practice pieces will come out really nice and could have been even nicer if done on better surfaces. Cheap papers absorbs the paint and you can't get crisp lines. Just my experience in my early days of airbrushing.

After a while, you will find that practicing on newspaper print or low quality paper isn't the best to practice on. After you've messed around with the brush and have conquered the psi, reduction part of learning, I would suggest that you "practice" on better quality surfaces. The reason is that some of your practice pieces will come out really nice and could have been even nicer if done on better surfaces. Cheap papers absorbs the paint and you can't get crisp lines. Just my experience in my early days of airbrushing.
Totally agree, scrap paper for dots etc but always paint on the substrate you will be as the pressures and the way the paint settles will effect all your decisions :)
I have to change my thinking between the Synthetic papers, let alone a completely different material like canvas or clayboard

Totally agree, scrap paper for dots etc but always paint on the substrate you will be as the pressures and the way the paint settles will effect all your decisions :)
I have to change my thinking between the Synthetic papers, let alone a completely different material like canvas or clayboard
Yes, I totally agree. Different surfaces react differently with paints and techniques as well. Practice on the surface you intend to paint your art works on.

Damn, I sooo wish someone had already invented Cpt Kirk's Teleports. we could all gather in an instance and us beginners could actually see
and learn so much better from the semi-pro's/Pro's on here I think.

Back