I may not be good with one BUT I GOT ONE!!

C

Cluck Kent

Happy birthday to me ... happy birthday to me ..... I got an engel fridge freezer (which is really a joint gift that was on layby but I got it today from the wife to finalise that layby so I'm claiming it as mine :))) BUT to really put a smile on my face .......

She got me a Jeep, I mean a MICRON :) and before I even put paint in it (I haven't yet because *SUCK* I have to work all day before I get that privilege) but I can definitely say it has the smoothest trigger in the world and for some reason the spring tension feels way softer than my HPC+ (but I'm not griping about my HP C+ that's for sure!!)

I have done hours on my other airbrushes practising all the stuff we're supposed to practice PLUS done 4 eyes and one real life detailed very textured real life skull (which was more to my level of development I felt) - (the Cameron project is still a work in progress so I can't claim that to be accomplished) but the loving dear wife got me my micron for my birthday courtesy of Steve at Airbrush Megastore and whilst I know it is me that makes the art, not the airbrush, I will look forward to many many hours of growing with this as my new "GO TO" airbrush. It felt that good this morning (after my cooked breakfast in bed) :)

Sure I know every one will tell me I can do really well for many years with the HP C+ as it is a bloody brilliant airbrush (and I agree with you) ....... but WTF ... I got a Micron now and I ain't givin' it back!!! :)

My airbrushing stepped up a notch when I got the HP C+ (as it doesn't have the free play in the trigger (like the Ultra has) and even my practising got to be so much fun and enjoyable and I definitely felt I took another step forward that I have done hours on end each night practising with it - it is that good.

It's almost a shame that I got this so soon after getting my Iwata HP C Plus (it's only been about a month at best) as I quickly realised the Ultra was just a poor beginners choice thrust upon me by the 'in store' salesman who saw my cashed up ass walk into his shop looking for something better than my wifes cake decorating airbrush!! I'll keep using the HP C+ without a doubt and using quick couplings have a second colour in it ready to switch to as she got me a few extras like the quick coupling set, nozzle removal tool, cleaning brush kit, IWATA magnifier and ..... OMG I'm so glad the 5 kids have now grown up and just moved out else this would never have happened MUAHAHA

However, now that I have this I am looking forward to really settling in to this hobby. I have enjoyed my airbrushing so much and she has seen me put in the hours every night and weekend since I got started (only about three months ago) that she felt I had finally found something I would stick at!! All I can say is that with the SB model (recommended by Mitch and Dru Blair) that my big fat fingers are no longer being squeezed by the top feed cup (as is on my H&S Ultra and Iwata HP C+) and the small movements feel unbelievably much more do-able! They really are and the movement is just so smooth.

I am really looking forward to tonight and putting some paint into this little girl (the airbrush that is boys!!!!). One day soon when I stop doing real life sh... stuff, I'll come back in and tell you what I have accomplished. But till then.......

Thanks for reading my excited little boys story............... You're not allowed to complain .... it's my birthday!! :)

Paul :)

Congrats and Happy Birthday!
I hope the A/B gods smile on you and may all your dots and daggers be true.:):thumbsup:

Thanks Splasha and JackEb

I'm sure the dots and daggers will be as bad as before (Jk) but I'll just have a lot more fun and enjoyment making them that bad :)

How's the footy tipping going? (I'm assuming you're both AFL followers here!!??) :)

Hug your wonderful wife she can make you so happy and stay the same way or better, to get more giving back more from you. She is a Micron, the one she had gift just good tool. HB! Thanks for emotions!

If nothing else you'll have a smile on your face while you do your bad dots and daggers:) as mr.micron advised me... Leave the nozzle cap on!! Theyre not cheap for replacements

And no, I don't do footy !!

Thanks Oleg. I've told her what you said as we work across the office from each other :)

Hey JackEb, I decided to leave it on for a while just to make sure the excited nerves don't actually make me drop the bloody thing as there has to be a first time somewhere (to drop it) and I don't want this little girl to be the one to be dropped that first time while the nozzle cap is off!

Have given myself an impromptu tattoo dot with my HP C+ as too busy looking at my reference picture while cleaning off some tip dry and not properly paying attention LOL

As for the footy, I asked as we do it within our family only and the loser has to take the winner out to dinner at a restaurant we all agreed on at the start of the season. I had only just done mine so was on my mind when I asked :)

Daughters boyfriend is running it and he's at the top of our little in-house ladder .... hmmmm feel like I've been set up by the little excremente and his girlfriend (the daughter!! :) )

Congrats on all 3 counts, good airbrush, good birthday and awesome wife!! Looking forward to the results!

Happy Birthday ! Happy Micron Day!!
Trust me you will think painting is so much easier with that micron.Reduction will need some relearning but after that all is well.

Happy birthday and you'll love the micron when you get used to it.

Congrats, as a recent member of the Micron club, I share your happiness. I haven't had as much time to play with mine ( insert joke of choice here) yet, but I love, love, love it.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I put some paint in my little girl last night and like Squishy says ... DAMN!!! ..... I love love love it.

To recap - I got the Micron SB (which is the side bottle version) recommended by both our Mitch (Airbrush Tutor) and Dru Blair (Dru Blair's School of Realism) - upon which I mounted the feed onto the right hand side to keep the left side view totally free for me and the trigger therefore has no top feed cup to obstruct my big Kiwi dundaklumping index finger

MY FINDINGS:

It is:
SMOOTH - the trigger smoothness is truly is magnificently unbelievable and as others have said;
PRECISE - the paint flow starts at the absolute first touch of the trigger which means I have FULL control over the amount of paint that comes out of that nozzle - see my comment further below!
ERGONOMIC - I can place my finger perfectly on the trigger at the right place (as there isn't the cup obstruction I have on my top feed airbrushes) so that I literally just move my finger tip up and down to get that precise small release of paint I just mentioned above and the larger square trigger definitely suits me. Also, the feel of the airbrush in my hands is just so nice, the threads are all so smooth so even just opening her up is a pleasure to do;
TAILORABLE (this isn't a Micron thing but I'm including it in this "declaration of love") - I adjusted the pull back tension to make the already smooth trigger even softer to move - which is all about maximising the control of my intensity and to suit my preferred pressure;
NON FATIGUING - I am seriously wondering if they have modified the trigger air-spring to be more like the Dru Blair modified spring because it is way softer to press down and after doing 2-1/2 hours of painting tiny dots, dagger strokes, lines, blends and transitions and then another simple project I honestly could have kept going ... but I had to go to bed for my final B/Day present :) :) :) and to thank that lovely lady for all my gifts (well there was only the ONE that really counted! :)
DETAILED - I'm not into the arguments about which airbrushes can make the smallest lines etc but it certainly outgunned my HP C+ (which we would all expect) but the dots were smaller than a pin prick and I was laying down more than 50 in a .5cm x .5cm box (part of the mundane but important trigger control practice I was doing) amongst others. I was quite impressed and having loads of fun :)
BETTER THAN SEX - okay even a Micron won't beat that but I got your attention and now you're smiling :)

Yes my friends, there is a GOD and MICRON be thy name!

In conclusion:

I may not be the best with it YET but DANG I will die happy!

Keep on smiling because it makes people wonder what you've been up to. When you reply 'I've been playing with my micron' expect some blank looks

Congratulations, im in the same boat and couldn't be happier :)
Com art and E'tac paints spray all night with no tip dry and no reducing :)

Congratulations, im in the same boat and couldn't be happier :)
Com art and E'tac paints spray all night with no tip dry and no reducing :)

I'm about to try the E'tac paints........ will be interesting to see the difference between the createx illustration and the E'tac (Micron or no Micron)
I still haven't given my micron a good run yet... its back safe and sound in its gleaming red metal jacket after a clean out until I'm confident . . . . I'm getting close. I still feel "I'm not worthy" LOL

Hey JackEb ... who sells E'tac paints here in Australia? Was only aware of them after reading one of Mitch's blurbs 'somewhere'...?

Had a good play with it again over the weekend and sad to say I'm finding I don't want to pick up the HP C+ at all .... this thing really is a dream to use and airbrush with.

I agree Musicmacd .... I can honestly say from now on when guys ask which airbrush to buy I'm going to suggest they go for one of these. I wish I had and not spent $135'ish on the the Ultra then $160'ish on the HP C+ and then $470'ish on this one. Wish I could have just tried the others for a while to appreciate this one more and then just bought this little babe! But realistically where the hell would I get the opportunity to "try" one of the others. Just had to do it I suppose to really appreciate my new mistress :)

Mr Micron was right though ... did require changing my reductions quite a bit! Using Trident black the required reduction is almost hard to fathom logically. I have had to reduce the black on the ratio of 7-10 drops of reducer to ONE drop of black! 10 gets me a lot less tip dry but a softer (transparent) black whereas 5 gets me a much darker black and lots of tip dry. 10 is very pleasant to work with and just requires building up the colour levels. Tip dry occurs about every 10-15 secs and just requires a quick blast of full flow. Anything less than 5 drops of reducer to one drop of black causes tip dry about every 3-5'ish seconds of spraying and requires both a tip clean and a few quick blasts. The pressure is just over the bare minimum to achieve a good proper spray pattern. Any lower and I get that very light stipple effect happening. On my gauge it's around 1 bar. As a result of this I am keen to see how the E'Tac or Com Art blacks look when they come out of the bottle - Com Art especially - to compare!

Back