I may not be good with one BUT I GOT ONE!!

I just ordered a bunch more and another selection of wicked and after watching a Cory video some Auto colour candies to try - His Thor video is insane...

Thanks for the link mate. Will go there and start looking at them now. Megastore have the Auto Air products and Airbrush Asylum have Com Art and Trident but didn't know where for E'Tac. (Since I became aware of it :) )

@OzAirbrush website is set for a revamp apparently so don't judge the company by the website software, stock availability and bottle size are not always accurate apparently, so if there is something you are looking for in the E'tac / Grex range but seems unavailable then flick him an email and ask before looking elsewhere, Mick is happy to help.

Airbrush megastore is about A$145.00 cheaper than Airbrush Asylum for the Iwata custom micron, so it pays to look around. Its a shame that Airbrush Asylum only seem to offer ComArt in full sets, not individual bottles, but to be fair I haven't asked if they do them separately.

I agree that supplies in Australia is lacking but if we support these people then it can only benefit us in the long run, and beside Mick @OzAirbrush and Steven at airbrush megastore offer good old fashion customer service, and seem happy to assist in any decision / question that you may have about the products

** Disclaimer: I'm not associated with either company, just a very happy customer of both, so unless either one gives me reason to shop elsewhere i'll keep going back.

Yes I agree re Steve and A/M but will give Mick an email nonetheless. Are they good straight out of the bottle (E'Tac that is) or do you need reducer still?

My wife got the Micron off Steve at Airbrush Megastore and I have found his service with previous purchases eg my HP C+ impeccable thus far. I look there first now given his good service. However, he doesn't have the E'Tac range although Dru Blair uses the Createx Illustration range in his photo realism classes which is why I was considering those from Steve. My curiosity with E'Tac grew as Mitch uses them in his Micron as well as Com Art and did not have any other ideas so was going to get the Com Art as I found some here in Australia. However, I'm being a little more considerate now that I've read lots on here from various artists. Had a lot of money spent on me by my wife for my B/Day so have promised not to spend on anything for now. Happy to press on with Trident just doing my practice drills and small projects developing my skills until I think sufficient time has passed to justify another online indulge! :). When I am happy with my B&W portraits I will seriously start to look into colours. But for now Trident it is :)

Apparently they're designed for airbrush fine art, not for vehicles (not a problem for most of us) and they can be reduced with filtered/bottled water. Like i said, I'm hoping for a test run on the weekend.
Createx illustration is almost a 'concentrate' and I don't know of to many people who use it straight out of the bottle, especially in a micron.

Createx illustration is almost a 'concentrate' and I don't know of to many people who use it straight out of the bottle, especially in a micron.
Didn't know that about Createx Illustration (that it was a concentrate!). It's a Dru Blair creation he did with Createx / Auto Air / Wicked whoever it is they belong to :) and he uses it personally and in his photo realism classes with the Micron SB as his recommended airbrush. I was lined up to do his course later this year in Melbourne but Mitch has gotten in first and so I've booked for that. Dru's class which I would still like to do may clash with some other plans I have for around November so may not be do-able.
Re-reading your post (hence this edit :)) you probably know this but were just letting me know that everyone else seems to prefer E'Tac or Com Art for their Microns :). I'm going to start with Com-Art given they're the Micron related company. Thanks JackEb

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know that about Createx Illustration (that it was a concentrate!). It's a Dru Blair creation he did with Createx / Auto Air / Wicked whoever it is they belong to :) and he uses it personally and in his photo realism classes with the Micron SB as his recommended airbrush. I was lined up to do his course later this year in Melbourne but Mitch has gotten in first and so I've booked for that. Dru's class which I would still like to do may clash with some other plans I have for around November so may not be do-able.

Dru does use Createx Illustration and the Micron SB in his classes. He supplies the Microns in his studio because most of his students want to use what he does. I've taken two of his classes and all the techniques could have been done with an Eclipse CS, it's really a matter of preference. As for reduction, I have never seen Dru reduce CI more than 1:1, he generally reduces less than that. He uses color matched opaque paints for most everything, which are more forgiving for mistakes. Most of the major over reduction mentioned on this forum is when using transparent paints and building layers slowly. I use a bit of both in my paintings, it really depends on what I am working on. Areas with less texture and contrast, I use opaques, where high contrast and textured areas I use transparent paints.

Hi jagardn. Appreciate your input esp re your view on the SB and doing it also with the Eclipse CS. Interesting to note! Mind you, I'm in love with my Micron SB so no matter how young and nubile any other airbrush may be, I'm staying faithful now :)

When you say he uses colour matched opaque paints for most everything ... what do you mean by that please mate?

Also, could you show me an example of where you use the two different types so I can appreciate the difference please :):). I am very keen to learn! .... and if you've done TWO of Dru's classes then I am definitely willing to listen! (I won't mention jealousy at all) :)

Perhaps that's one area I can improve on. I keep just mixing the Trident paint really weak to reduce tip dry issues and end up doing heaps of passes on say just the pure black areas etc. Perhaps I should be changing that mixture ratio depending on what part of the artwork / reference I am working on!??

Last edited by a moderator:
excremente ... you've got a lot of airbrushes :)

I'm not letting my wife see I chatted with you ... she'll think you're going to lead me astray with your "more toys than me" investments :)

Re-reading your post (hence this edit :)) you probably know this but were just letting me know that everyone else seems to prefer E'Tac or Com Art for their Microns :). I'm going to start with Com-Art given they're the Micron related company. Thanks JackEb
LOL, Its not a 'concentrate as such, I said its 'Almost' a concentrate, I don't know of anyone that uses it straight out of the bottle without reducing it, and most seem to reduce at the rate of 1 drop createx detail / illustration to 10 parts reducer. I've got Illustration and struggle with it straight out of the bottle with a .2 needle at low pressure.
the comart and E'tac seem to be able to be used straight from the bottle, so you will obviously go through more of them than the Createx,

excremente ... you've got a lot of airbrushes :)

I'm not letting my wife see I chatted with you ... she'll think you're going to lead me astray with your "more toys than me" investments :)

Haha, that's not all of them. I've added an Olympos Micron, HP-200SB and an Iwata Eclipse CS since then. That's only as many brushes as my signature would allow. :)

Hahaha then I agree ... it's an addiction! :)

Go on now and admit it ... it's not about painting / airbrushing is it .... it's about collecting little shiny things that just happen to be airbrushes :)

When you find the time, I'd be keen to hear how you get to use so many bloody airbrushes! Do you use them for work as well as leisure or these just all for leisure / hobby?

Oh and thanks JackEb :)
excremente I better get some bloody work done!! :) :)

Hi jagardn. Appreciate your input esp re your view on the SB and doing it also with the Eclipse CS. Interesting to note! Mind you, I'm in love with my Micron SB so no matter how young and nubile any other airbrush may be, I'm staying faithful now :)

When you say he uses colour matched opaque paints for most everything ... what do you mean by that please mate?

Also, could you show me an example of where you use the two different types so I can appreciate the difference please :):). I am very keen to learn! .... and if you've done TWO of Dru's classes then I am definitely willing to listen! (I won't mention jealousy at all) :)

Perhaps that's one area I can improve on. I keep just mixing the Trident paint really weak to reduce tip dry issues and end up doing heaps of passes on say just the pure black areas etc. Perhaps I should be changing that mixture ratio depending on what part of the artwork / reference I am working on!??

The Micron is definitely an awesome airbrush, I have two.
The reference to being able to use an Eclipse in Dru's class is true. Most of his techniques are pretty simple and use forms of masking and shields, so a precision airbrush isn't really necessary.

There are some tutorials and Step by Steps on the forum here about opaques and color matching. They are more time consuming than using transparent paints, but they are also much more forgiving and accurate for color. I always use a combination of both because they each have their own strengths.

Thanks jagardn (again :)) I'll go and look for those tutorials mate and see where that leads me. I'm curious now about the masking and shields techniques you now refer to .... *Sigh* :)
Starting to hate myself that I can't do both courses (ie Mitch's and then Dru's) Grrrr :)

Hey just to let you airbrush Asylym does the individual comart paints in all differents sizes and trans/opac Carsten is a champion and has always been swift woth response and delivery.
Airbrush megastore are unbeatable for price and gear always arrives as it should with sweets :)

Good to know about the individual com-art,
Looks like we've got all bases covered
Createx - airbrush megastore
E'Tac - Oz airbrush
Com-art & Trident - Airbrush Asylum

Anyone got a ampersand claybord supplier?
I know of 1 but if we've a member here who does them I'd rather support the supporters

Back