If you would start with transparent line of colors

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
and it doesn't matter what line of colors you would go, what kinda colors you would buy at start. And why?
Primary transparent? Something else? In what order you would buy if you don't have any at home and you are willing to buy, lets say for example 10 bottles of transparent color. :)

I usually consider the kind of stuff I anticipate painting, whether it be birds, flowers, machines, cars, etc. and break down the basic colors I will need if I choose to tackle that project, and build a pallet based on that. There are certain colors I know I will never use, so tend to stay away from them... If I like the paint I am using, I will usually try to eventually acquire all the colors they offer (minus things I know I will ever use, like florescents, pearls, and metallics).

Primary color sets are a good starting point. You would have the ability to mix any color you want. It's more work, but cheaper than buying premixed colors. If you don't care about the cost, Dave's advice is sound.

my logical brain says look at a colour wheel. get what colours are on there.
my non logical brain says 'buy them all and play'

If I want to try a brand I start with Primary+black/white.
The downside is if you mix a color.
You use much more yellow than magenta and cyan blue.
If I like the paint.
Is the next buy green and orange.
Or just the rest of the color wheel.:)

I guess there’s an argument to say that transparent colours are a little more forgiving for the noob because they take longer to build. But I’m not really sure why I think that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so reading createx site they have opague and transparent Wicked. So if all paints are transparent, what do I get with the ones labeled ''transparent'' ? Less pigments and if I add transparent base to ''Opague'' I get ''transparent''? :confused:

https://wickedairbrushcolors.com/opaque

https://wickedairbrushcolors.com/transparent

So I would pay more (cause there is less pigments in the bottle in ''transparents') for less pigments? :whistling:

You’re confusing me ! You started out asking what colours of transparent you should get, now we have an opaque vs transparent discussion ?

you can make a transparent opaque but you can’t truely make an opaque transparent

Add an opaque white to transparent to give a buffered /opaque colour, beware doing this will mute the colours (turn your red to pink)

It's a gray area. :thumbsdown:
It is true that opaque colors the pure colors red yellow blue.
be slightly transparent.
This is much more visible with a synthetic paint than with acrylic.
Which has better coverage.
The transparent acrylic colors still have opacity What you can see with dark colors (yellow over black)
A candy color/ dye paint is the most transparent.

You’re confusing me ! You started out asking what colours of transparent you should get, now we have an opaque vs transparent discussion ?

you can make a transparent opaque but you can’t truely make an opaque transparent

Add an opaque white to transparent to give a buffered /opaque colour, beware doing this will mute the colours (turn your red to pink)
I know I should learn transparent colors, but I forgot what I gain if I start with them :D

I use transparent on 90% of my stuff. Check your paint pal, there were only 4 colours used. Orange, sepia, black and a little blue for his eyes.
You can overlay colours to blend and shift the underneath colours. You can’t do that with opaques

I use transparent on 90% of my stuff. Check your paint pal, there were only 4 colours used. Orange, sepia, black and a little blue for his eyes.
You can overlay colours to blend and shift the underneath colours. You can’t do that with opaques
so I need to learn what color makes shift with another color right? Do we have any written guide about this shifts? :sus:

I'm surprised you guys didn't start code pink fun time. :)
giphy.gif

This piece I painted the skull and the folds in the hood using an opaque white. The transparent sepia was painted over the top to tone the colour as I wanted it. Had I painted and opaque black for example, then the skull obviously would have been covered.
f75a67803786cd123ddb2f435cf8e04c.jpg

This piece I painted the skull and the folds in the hood using an opaque white. The transparent sepia was painted over the top to tone the colour as I wanted it. Had I painted and opaque black for example, then the skull obviously would have been covered.
f75a67803786cd123ddb2f435cf8e04c.jpg

do I see your hand taking a photo? :sus: :whistling: :lipssealed:

so I need to learn what color makes shift with another color right? Do we have any written guide about this shifts? :sus:
Think basic, what colours do you add to create a colour? With transparents you can use that theory to ‘shift’ a base colour on the substrate : yellow & blue will give a green shift, blue and red will give purple shift.

I use scrap paper and empty my brush on it, then I have a starting point to overlay other colours onto for different colours.

Back