For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

In a funk as to what to paint?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by basepaint, May 20, 2015.

1. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Anyone have any ideas? I'm out of Ideas,Portrait's,dog's and cats,lion's tiger's and even M,Monroe have all been done and i don't want to copy anyone else's pictures. any help?
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  2. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

Copy the Sistine Chapell ceiling? But make all the angels Demons.
    OutlawGraphics and basepaint like this.
  3. Boltcase

Boltcase Detail Decepticon!

Dogs playing poker :)
    basepaint likes this.
  4. brookss1967

brookss1967 Mac-Valve Maestro!

Base paint , one of the ideas on my list is , to paint old Aztec ruins with carvings and statues , just to experiment with stone texture , throw in a emerald boa and foliage and you'll be busy for days.
    basepaint likes this.
  5. Zotilraxx

Zotilraxx Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I know how you feel. Nowadays I am all for experimenting on mixed media. I am also mostly want to do some fantasy portraits...
    basepaint likes this.
  6. basepaint

You must think my name is(Name of great airbrush artist inserted here) :Dand that I can paint ? Remember I started out doing fishing lures not Picture's? so It takes alot as I'm all self taught(had a week of airbrushing in H.School and that was 40 plus years ago) I tell people That I can copy about anything but I want one to be mine alone(with some advice of course) If you know what I mean? my mines just a blank right now and that sucks:sour:
  7. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Everything in "our" genre is probably already been done so unless you create your own unique art style (which eveyone will probably hate till you die and become famous :p) you are more or less stuck to "the same old themes".

This is generaly the point at which I point out to students it might be an idea to consider making work a bit more your own instead of a coppy of a reference. If you can draw that helps but if thats not the case you can also use something like photo shop to make a collage of the theme and atmosphere you want.
    basepaint likes this.
  8. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Something sci fi - some ships around an alien star... copy a classic painting and put some biomech in it - maybe the M0na L1sa... a jelly fish...
  9. Carnun

Carnun Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

make a painting of a fishine lure :p just don't use a reference to copy from and what comes out is truly yours. I tend to make several drawings of something, just copying a reference, then I just do it without the reference and let any imperfections become features. It's definitely a process that needs a certain frame of mind, but when you find that creative zone, definitely worth it.
  10. _fly_

_fly_ Spider Splatterer

basepaint likes this.
  11. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Sometimes, when my mind wanders away from what I'd like to paint, I go someplace and sit.
    It's normally near water, and I just look at what's there.
    Nature is a wonderful source of inspiration.
    Something usually presents itself, but not always.
    I have found that as we learn this art, we come to a point where we have sucessfully??? copied the art/ styles of all those who've gone before - famous or not - and have the urge [ more like a compulsion ] to do something original with our skills.
    I haven't, as yet, been able to determine what it is I'm supposed to create with mine, but I'm still waiting expectantly.
    Something will appear before too long, I'm sure.
    basepaint likes this.
  12. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Grab your camera and go out and look for anything that inspires you .
    I have asked stranger if I could take a picture of them just because (I do not tell them this) they have an interesting face or shape of their head is different.
    Animals in the wild , Creeks or the life that lives in them.
    Buildings , bridges , statues Odd cars or bikes .
    But when you see it and say I need a pic of that then that is what inspired you to take the picture.
    Find something on the web and then twist it to become you own work.
    I have a list of ideals for new things my problem is trying to find time to paint them .
    Check out some of the FB groups like this one https://www.facebook.com/darkbeautymag?fref=photo&sk=photos
    or this one https://www.facebook.com/weirdtalesmagazineonline?fref=nf
    Or other artist like http://www.kenkellyart.com/kiss.html
    basepaint and Zotilraxx like this.
  13. Zotilraxx

Zotilraxx Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Why don't you start with something you like. that would always help out.
    basepaint likes this.
  14. Eveliina

Eveliina Gravity Guru

I have had feeling just like yours too. Quite often actually. I myself try to get back in those feelings i had when i was younger and i had daily some new ideas and i spent hours drawing them. So maybe watch or read fantasy or scifi or kids stuff. What ever you like but not the morning paper And if you wanna make something new you can mix things together. Have you ever watched those tattooing shows and sometimes there is this person who wants a tattoo combining a black cat, pirate ship, cupcakes, minivan and a unicorn and some how that tattoo artist designs weird but somehow still interesting and fine picture. Crazy! So maybe try to mix things you like and dont worry about common sense. good luck!
    basepaint likes this.
  15. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

here yaa go

Attached Files:

basepaint and Zotilraxx like this.
  16. OzAirbrush

OzAirbrush Spider Splatterer

This is a hard one that we all come across at some time. I even think it's a sign that we need more 'practice' in honing our skills and developing our own consciousness about painting that can only be picked up by doing lots of paintings of different types and genres.
    The problem is, as artists (budding or otherwise) we want to make it our own and be individual but unless you have the 'creative tools' that have been developed by studying (i.e. painting) other artists works to see how they are constructed and by painting other images/pictures/scenes we get kinda stuck.

Personally, I would rather have someone come to me and say 'paint me that zombie and...' even though it's been done to death in some cases. That tells me I need more experience, it relieves me of the problem of being creative but it also gives me a chance to practice, a win win :)

When not painting do some drawing/sketching of some fantasy works etc and you'l find that you will notice things you didn't see before and they are the things to add to your creative toolkit to help you produce your own style down the track.
    Another tip is to start by doing thumbnail sketches (say 2 inches square) of a subject or scene, just real quick and rough. You will find it easier to fill up that small space with subjects and ideas that can be worked up to a larger scene for painting.

Anyway the short story is, when you have a creative block find a good subject to do and at least you are painting and producing something. You can then post it up as a 'study' and ask for critique without feeling guilty about not being creative. You will learn something from the exercise at the very least.
    There are no mistakes, only lessons :)
    splasha, basepaint and Carnun like this.
  17. basepaint

Thanks Haasje
  18. basepaint

If it took common sence to air brush I would have been gone long ago..lmao
    Eveliina and wmlepage like this.
  19. basepaint

Today I stopped at the local restrant for dinner and a lady asked who painted the pictures on the shelf? and being I Was the one who painted them the waitress pointed to me and said he did it! So I Told her yes I did paint the pictures and she in turn wanted to know If I could paint a picture of her dog so I gave her my card and asked if she could E-Mail a picture so I can check it out and if I think i can do it I would give her a price. (She wants an 8 x 10) so at least I have something to paint and get paid for it!!
  20. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Just falls in your lap somedays, don't it!