For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Inbetween WIP - Panther

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by ignis, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Ok, I started a project to fill up time between other projects, so this make take a while (or perhaps not). I try to approach uro quality with water-based Holbein Aeroflash. I think it is impossible, but I try to get as close as I can.

LPA 04.JPG

You may witness my failure or success in this thread. So far I spent 1 hour airbrushing.

A few notes perhaps for artists obsessed with spraying fine detail:
    1. Aeroflash thinned to 1 paint : 20 water : 3 drops of Talens R e t a r d e r (spacing to avoid site censor engine)
    2. air pressure just high enough to push out the paint
    3. airbrush CM SB with Aztek paint cup (for the lid to prevent spills), polished needle. no air cap
    4. dagger strokes while airbrush is at a very sharp angle relative to surface (I will explain the advantages one time)
    5. Hansa airbrush paper A4 size
    6. projection moethod: light box that I described in an other thread
    7. 99% freehand (a little erasing here and there)

Image was inspired by Alberto's very talented student Luca Roccaforte.

Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Two hours.

LPA 05.JPG
  3. aficionado

aficionado Spider Splatterer

Looking good ignis :)
  4. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Two and a half hours.

LPA 06.JPG
  5. mrdepo

mrdepo Young Tutorling

lookings good, damn patient job
  6. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Looking good so far m8 :)
  7. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

this looks awesome so far mate....I just hope you are not painting the whole panther and instead just concentrating on its head.....otherwise, 2 hours.....2 and half hours will turn in to.....march.......april....etc etc

haha joking brother.....your work is phenomenal and every second you put in to your work is evident in the quality of the final piece.. it is a privilege to myself and many others on here to share your experience and I am glad you are painting more regularly now!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I wish I had your patience Ignis, and your knowledge and ability to refine airbrushes, and your talent Lol! In fact can you be my personal airbrush guru? LOL!!!
  9. bad65

bad65 Air-Valve Autobot!

Looking great already, Chris. Can t wait to see it finished..
  10. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

I think we can all tell this is going to be special....no pressure Ignis:). Always a joy to see your work, thank you
  11. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Thanx all for taking the time to comment. Here's what it is like after four hours of spraying.

LPA 08.JPG
  12. bad65

bad65 Air-Valve Autobot!

Nice work. Really like the eye!
  13. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I usually have difficulty trying too decide if a painting is good at so early a stage, but I can however see this one progress and the system is easer for me to understand, this in incredible and seeing how it's going I'm now tempted to revisit my tigers.

I'll be glued to this until it's done and I appreciate you taking the time to step by step, I also read your blog and from that I believe that this is well within my comfort zone.
  14. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

The trick is to fiddle with the air pressure to get an ultra fine line, just a little higer that when the airbrsh is spattering (1/4 or 1/8 th of a turn of an air regulator between airbrush and hose). Once this is set up correctly holding the brush at a sharp angle, you will get sharp and ultra thin lines. We all have a preferred direction in which we like to move our hand to apply strokes, so it is best to occasionally turn the art work to get the maximum result.
  15. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Thanks Ignis, I'll certainly be having a go at this technique, and from what I understand about the amount of thinning, this just might something out of my redundant evolution.

I'm not sure when I'll get to it but I will post some examples of how it goes, I think this is will change how I work, but at the same time I'm afraid like everyone else you maybe make it look easier than it actually is, lol

If I understand correctly this would also be good technique for doing wrinkles (Kreukels) , lol, is that so?
  16. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

If you mean the fold lines (vouwlijnen) in paper for instance it would be perfect; you can vary the intensity of the lines by spraying more or less on top of each other.
  17. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Worked on the texture with white paint today and I am increasingly becoming fed up with water-based acrylics. The Holbein white clogged my Micron CM SB too often and I spent a lot of time cleaning the gun instead of spraying to be able to spray fine lines (which are nowhere near as fine as I would like them to be). When I compare it to the excellent handling of uros, I get frustrated. So after 6 hours or so this is the result of this experiment.

LPA 10.JPG

I started out wrong in the set up, probably because I never sprayed fur before. So i had to do a lot of spraying back the white. Holbein sells it as opaque but it took forever to get acceptable coverage. But we all continue to learn, even after having decades of spraying under the belt.
  18. Bossman

Bossman Spider Splatterer

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  19. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Thanx for the tips Bossman. I just got a mail yesterday that the Illustration arrived at my seller, but I think I will go for uros again, which gave me a much better experience in the past. I understand that somewhere in the beginning of next year the HOK Shimrin II will become available in Holland. Can't wait to give those a try.
  20. ignis

ignis Needle-chuck Ninja

Update Dec 9 2012.

LPA 12.JPG

Yet an other discovery: you can actually draw with the needle tip... I don't recommend it for inexperienced users, but checking with the microscope reveals no damage (if you do it cautiously of course).