Is the micron worth the money?

I have a bunch of Iwatas and last Christmas I caved and bought a micron. It is like everyone says, a well oiled machine and quick to respond, almost too quick if your going from an eclipse to the micron lol! Very pleased with it and now Jeff has me thinking about a possible MOJO in the future haha!!

You're Welcome! Haha
Buy American Buddy. ;)

Last edited:
It does spray that well. Consistency is the key factor. I have and have had a lot of airbrush models to compare it to.

Love being the devils advocate Hahaha but lets again look at the OT

can anyone really justify the price when you can get an infinity cr plus 2 in 1 with a finer needle/nossle set up for half the cost?

Have yet to see such justification and I do feel i gave good reasons why. Consistency has been mentioned. my anthem is so consistent i have used it for 12 odd years and never replaced a single thing on it- is that more consistent? and btw the trigger response is spot on and has never let me down- I did drop it a few months back so finally need to change the nozzle and needle but 12 years of heavy use suggests value for money. Has anyone out there got a micron that has lasted 12 years with no need to change anything? if so i'd say well done and will eat my words a little-Most Micron issue threads don't reflect this.

Atomization has been mentioned. Show me some actual evidence that the micron is superior in this area over other higher end options that are half the price and does that slightly better atomization again justify the price tag?. Atomization is atomization, though yes some airbrushes will atomize the paint better/smaller droplets than others, but what paint? What reduction? What PSI? If you want to be technical about it, higher PSI will actually atomize better than low PSI will BUT I will say the micron has been designed well to atomize at lower pressure and realistically that's its only advantage, use a crap paint or not know your reductions well and it doesn't magically make that aspect better. Reduction can also do this in other guns so does it again justify it when considering many people don't use pressures of 10 PSI..I don't, never have had the need as speed can also help in the arena of detail, low PSI isn't the only factor LOL

so many people wouldn't swear by them if it was just hype.

And just as many complain about them, but realistically if you look at it it is hype. Certain people in the game use them and highly push others to also use them-Why? Mmmm maybe they have a sponsorship LOL. Again if you feel you can pick an artwork done with a micron compared to a cheaper (Quality) airbrush I'd like to see you try as its not all about the gun in the hand-its the hand that's holding it that's the important factor and thats why no doubt some can do amazing things with a Micron, but likely they can also do amazing things with any brush. A micron doesn't paint for you.

But a simple analogy may assist- Formula 1 drivers generally don't start off in a formula 1 car. They learn on a go-kart, advance to formula ford or similar and then when skilled may get a Formula 1 spot. Who starts in a formula 1 car when they don't know how to drive LOL.

I am being a little bit of as mentioned the devils advocate. I do think the Micron likely is a fantastic gun but the thread ultimately is about price and when compared to other options it simply doesn't measure up, if you can afford one I'd never suggest not giving one a try, on a budget though there is likely a hundred options that will serve just as well, especially when learning- but it is a fun thing to discuss LOL and it is only one opinion.

Love being the devils advocate Hahaha but lets again look at the OT

Have yet to see such justification and I do feel i gave good reasons why. Consistency has been mentioned. my anthem is so consistent i have used it for 12 odd years and never replaced a single thing on it- is that more consistent? and btw the trigger response is spot on and has never let me down- I did drop it a few months back so finally need to change the nozzle and needle but 12 years of heavy use suggests value for money. Has anyone out there got a micron that has lasted 12 years with no need to change anything? if so i'd say well done and will eat my words a little-Most Micron issue threads don't reflect this.

Atomization has been mentioned. Show me some actual evidence that the micron is superior in this area over other higher end options that are half the price and does that slightly better atomization again justify the price tag?. Atomization is atomization, though yes some airbrushes will atomize the paint better/smaller droplets than others, but what paint? What reduction? What PSI? If you want to be technical about it, higher PSI will actually atomize better than low PSI will BUT I will say the micron has been designed well to atomize at lower pressure and realistically that's its only advantage, use a crap paint or not know your reductions well and it doesn't magically make that aspect better. Reduction can also do this in other guns so does it again justify it when considering many people don't use pressures of 10 PSI..I don't, never have had the need as speed can also help in the arena of detail, low PSI isn't the only factor LOL

And just as many complain about them, but realistically if you look at it it is hype. Certain people in the game use them and highly push others to also use them-Why? Mmmm maybe they have a sponsorship LOL. Again if you feel you can pick an artwork done with a micron compared to a cheaper (Quality) airbrush I'd like to see you try as its not all about the gun in the hand-its the hand that's holding it that's the important factor and thats why no doubt some can do amazing things with a Micron, but likely they can also do amazing things with any brush. A micron doesn't paint for you.

But a simple analogy may assist- Formula 1 drivers generally don't start off in a formula 1 car. They learn on a go-kart, advance to formula ford or similar and then when skilled may get a Formula 1 spot. Who starts in a formula 1 car when they don't know how to drive LOL.

I am being a little bit of as mentioned the devils advocate. I do think the Micron likely is a fantastic gun but the thread ultimately is about price and when compared to other options it simply doesn't measure up, if you can afford one I'd never suggest not giving one a try, on a budget though there is likely a hundred options that will serve just as well, especially when learning- but it is a fun thing to discuss LOL and it is only one opinion.

I'd agree that the Anthem is consistent, I have a Patriot and it is consistent, its just no where near as consistent as the Micron. Response on the Patriot, Krome, H&S Brushes and other Iwata Brushes are all good, but they are not even in the same league. No, the airbrush does not paint for you and I could do a somewhat reasonable size painting with both a Patriot and a Micron and from 5 feet away, you couldn't tell the difference. The major difference is how easy the airbrush is to control. Its kind of like riding a two different bikes down a street filled with potholes. One bike has a nice suspension and a comfortable seat, the other has no suspension and no seat. Both of them get you to the end of the street, but your ass doesn't hurt so bad with one of them.

The people on here who are using and swear by the Micron have no sponsorship and have nothing to gain by saying it is better. We are speaking from experience with many other airbrushes compared to the Micron, and there is a difference. The whole, "is it worth it" which is the basis of the thread, is up to each individual user. Most people who have them would say yes, they are worth it.

I was a micron sceptic also, then I was fortunate enough to get one , and once I put some etac through it, we'll then I saw what all the fuss was about. ...... anyone on here will remember I was a huge champion of badger, love ken and love his product but both the krome and the sotar arnt a patch on a micron. ...
I've had no name brushes, the renegade velocity, patriot, krome, and a micron.....It can do detail that's the intention, but I use it for all of my portrait, the baackground, the hair the lot.....
micro n all the way for me......like Jeff just mentioned, no sponsorship here jus experience and ownership, but if you would prefer then take the word of people that don't own one...... maybe the question should be, does anyone who actually use or owns
a micron not feel it was worth the money?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like this. If you can't decide if it's worth it then you are not ready for a Micron. When you truly are, through research and brush experience, and frustration. Then you won't bat an eye at the cost. Many of us who have gotten microns may not have been ready for how finicky they can be . Thus causing some frustration and possible negative comments. This passes quickly. Just like anything else though you adapt and realize just how special of a tool it is.

I am definitely pleased I bought a CM-SB Micron despite the fact that mine did arrive with a split nozzle and a bent needle which was extremely upsetting. Now it's fixed I use it all the time. The only airbrush I have that is just slightly better than the CM-SB is my Olympos M-2o0C Micron but it's a gravity feed and I'm a side-feed person so I find myself reaching for the CM-SB every time. I did put the Olympos 0.23mm head unit on it though :D so it's actually a Hybrid of Iwata body and Olympos Head lol:D I don't use any other airbrush and even my HP-SBS is gathering dust mainly because I paint A4 size or smaller now so I can do it all with the Micron.

I find I can just paint with it, easy to clean, reliable and consistant, accurate and just does what I want it to do (except pour me a drink!!lol:laugh:). Is it worth the money for me? "Hell yes!!" Are the parts expensive "Hell yes!!" So I take very, very good care of it :D

If money is an issue then I agree with Rebel that you can get great results from many airbrushes with practise. The more you use one airbrush the more you will be able to get out of it because you will get attuned to it.

All I know is that since I got a Micron my confidence and therefore the quality of my work has i.m.o. improved dramatically. I have less fear when I approach my painting because I'm less afraid something will go wrong. I trust this tool to do it's job so I am free to do mine :D:):D and that for me is priceless.
Cheers Mel

Hehehehe. Micron owners- Gotta luv em. ;)

But I did enjoy the analogy about the potholes, I do live down a dirt road with lots of them so could relate LOL but it was a bit sneaky you put in-

I could do a somewhat reasonable size painting with both a Patriot and a Micron and from 5 feet away, you couldn't tell the differenc

That was clever LOL, but out of interest what needle set-up have you got in your patriot? Stock or the Super-Fine conversion kit?

Now though response is mentioned. I assume your relating response to when pulling back on the trigger you get immediate Paint supply? Well isn't that just related to the mechanical design of every airbrush ever built? I have seen response issues in cheap guns where there is a lag in that mechanical movement/activation of pulling a needle out of a hole thats related to poor design/machining, I have also seen response issues in higher end guns that isn't so much related to design or machining but poor reduction or user error or worn springs. I have no doubt that same issue can arise in a Micron.

..and saying something is way more consistent-that's a big statement when trying to sell that idea to someone who has never had major consistency issues with their own airbrush and again something that can relate also to paint type or user error, weather, desire or confidence.

and once I put some etac through it, we'll then I saw what all the fuss was about

That just suggests you finally came across a good paint but it also suggests you had issues until you did put etac through it. LOL

Many of us who have gotten microns may not have been ready for how finicky they can be

That also suggests that they can be temperamental LOL (As all Airbrush's can be)

Oh and certainly wasn't suggesting those here are spruking Microns up because they are sponsored. Stated that as I think it comes down to basic psychology. When people see amazing artworks done by those they respect and that person or persons are indeed sponsored by say Iwata and that person is pushing the product hard its easy to convince oneself to believe that persons success is due to that product, when ultimately if you look at their work prior to "sponsorship" it still looks awesome and that's because they are simply good artists. Their Micron didn't make them better.

Now when you spend say double or triple the price on a product its easy for that person to justify their purchase more to convince themselves they made the right choice and justify it to others simply on say so. I have no issue with that LOL but say if we did a side by side test of two airbrushes that are comparative to be fair or the top end of each manufacturer. I really, really, really don't believe and never will that you will see double or triple the ability (unless the hand holding them is different) and that's what that extra cost should relate to-Surely, and saying that lets just say it is twice as good, no doubt we would all have one as we would all see that its indeed twice as good in the artwork it can create and no doubt you all know that's simply not correct (wheter from 5 feet away or on top of it). It may have indeed improved your painting but was it the gun that improved it or is it because you spent so much and was determined one way or another to persevere with it or all the extra practice you had to put in to get comfortable with it LOL

..and even if the Micron is the best and lets assume it is for this paragraph. Lets assume its maybe 10, even 20% better than anything else out there, does that justify such a high cost for it and its spares? For me it would have to be 50-60% better for such justification.

Hehehehe, hopefully ya's know I'm just stirring the pot and having some fun getting some Micron owners all excited LOL, I personally don't care what people buy or own or use, that is a personal choice but I will stand by the point that for a beginner and maybe for some beyond a beginner that they may not really need the Ferrari of airbrushes to do well and produce high quality work-the grass isn't always greener. and beyond my yabbering and stirring that's really the only point I'm actually trying to make but I also have yet to see any actual comment that actually demonstrates a justification of an airbrush that's so expensive besides that of its ability to atomize well at lower pressures and on that point i do agree as thats what its been designed to do but is 5 PSI less worth $400 odd dollars LOL ;)

I think my first comment states it's not a magic wand, therefore I imply it is not gonna dramatically overnight increase the quality of your work, i do care what people use and try to give them the best advice I can, again based on experience. I don't reckon stirring the pot is helping troyster too much, they are in the market for a good detail gun we are trying to help them by giving our opinion based on experience. Don't go the same way as Bossman and argue every point every one makes for the sake of it, we all quickly got bored of that, you made you initial point clearly and provided an alternative view, why not leave it at that

Hehehehe. Micron owners- Gotta luv em. ;)
People who have never used a product, but know it sucks - Gotta luv em. ;)

That was clever LOL, but out of interest what needle set-up have you got in your patriot? Stock or the Super-Fine conversion kit?
No, its stock, but that upgrade isn't going to make a miracle happen. I had a Krome and it didn't compare to the Micron. Does the Superfine conversion make the Patriot/Anthem better than a Krome? If so, why would anyone ever buy a Krome? We may have just found the Micron Killer everyone has been looking for.... ;)

Now though response is mentioned. I assume your relating response to when pulling back on the trigger you get immediate Paint supply? Well isn't that just related to the mechanical design of every airbrush ever built? I have seen response issues in cheap guns where there is a lag in that mechanical movement/activation of pulling a needle out of a hole thats related to poor design/machining, I have also seen response issues in higher end guns that isn't so much related to design or machining but poor reduction or user error or worn springs. I have no doubt that same issue can arise in a Micron.

Yes and the way the Micron responds is in the way it was engineered, it responds better than any other brush I've used

..and saying something is way more consistent-that's a big statement when trying to sell that idea to someone who has never had major consistency issues with their own airbrush and again something that can relate also to paint type or user error, weather, desire or confidence.

Are other brushes consistent, yes. Consistently under performing what a Micron can do.

That just suggests you finally came across a good paint but it also suggests you had issues until you did put etac through it. LOL

ETAC sprays better through everything. ETAC is the Micron of Paints, its just better. :p

Oh and certainly wasn't suggesting those here are spruking Microns up because they are sponsored. Stated that as I think it comes down to basic psychology. When people see amazing artworks done by those they respect and that person or persons are indeed sponsored by say Iwata and that person is pushing the product hard its easy to convince oneself to believe that persons success is due to that product, when ultimately if you look at their work prior to "sponsorship" it still looks awesome and that's because they are simply good artists. Their Micron didn't make them better.

It does perform better and more consistent which increases confidence as someone else stated earlier.

Now when you spend say double or triple the price on a product its easy for that person to justify their purchase more to convince themselves they made the right choice and justify it to others simply on say so. I have no issue with that LOL but say if we did a side by side test of two airbrushes that are comparative to be fair or the top end of each manufacturer. I really, really, really don't believe and never will that you will see double or triple the ability (unless the hand holding them is different) and that's what that extra cost should relate to-Surely, and saying that lets just say it is twice as good, no doubt we would all have one as we would all see that its indeed twice as good in the artwork it can create and no doubt you all know that's simply not correct (wheter from 5 feet away or on top of it). It may have indeed improved your painting but was it the gun that improved it or is it because you spent so much and was determined one way or another to persevere with it or all the extra practice you had to put in to get comfortable with it LOL

"Blah Blah Blah" - Some guy who's never used one.

..and even if the Micron is the best and lets assume it is for this paragraph. Lets assume its maybe 10, even 20% better than anything else out there, does that justify such a high cost for it and its spares? For me it would have to be 50-60% better for such justification.

I guess you'll never know...

Hehehehe, hopefully ya's know I'm just stirring the pot and having some fun getting some Micron owners all excited LOL, I personally don't care what people buy or own or use, that is a personal choice but I will stand by the point that for a beginner and maybe for some beyond a beginner that they may not really need the Ferrari of airbrushes to do well and produce high quality work-the grass isn't always greener. and beyond my yabbering and stirring that's really the only point I'm actually trying to make but I also have yet to see any actual comment that actually demonstrates a justification of an airbrush that's so expensive besides that of its ability to atomize well at lower pressures and on that point i do agree as thats what its been designed to do but is 5 PSI less worth $400 odd dollars LOL ;)

People who have never used a product, but know it sucks - Gotta luv em. ;)

Never said it sucks, actually have stated a few times that I see great work done with em and they are likely from all reports a good airbrush.

No, its stock, but that upgrade isn't going to make a miracle happen

How do you know-you've never used one ;)

We may have just found the Micron Killer everyone has been looking for

Unrelated to the topic, we're supposed to be discussing the extra value of a Micron and what that buys you- In most hands, especially beginners that buys you nothing. Not at all suggesting there is a Micron killer or even if the Micron needs killed, its an airbrush, no doubt a good one designed for a specific job like a myriad of others designed better than the micron for the job their designed to do and the micron isn't.

Yes and the way the Micron responds is in the way it was engineered, it responds better than any other brush I've used

Again what do you mean by response? When I pull back I get immediate response, i don't doubt that when you pull back on a Micron trigger you get immediate response.hows one immediate response better than another's immediate response?

Are other brushes consistent, yes. Consistently under performing what a Micron can do.

Personal opinion, but isn't supported by what others can do with other brushes.

It does perform better and more consistent which increases confidence as someone else stated earlier.

But isn't it finicky? I assume it has its own learning curve and have no doubt for some it may help increase confidence for others it may destroy it.

Best response yet. So good ya repeated it LOL

I guess you'll never know...

or care :)

I don't reckon stirring the pot is helping troyster too much, they are in the market for a good detail gun we are trying to help them by giving our opinion based on experience.

I used the words stirring the pot so people don't all get their panties in a twist-Doesn't seemed to have worked LOL. yes I do comment at times a bit tongue in cheek but at least support my comments with fact and not opinion. Forums are to discuss stuff, from all experience levels and just because i don't conform to the consensus of a topic or disagree doesn't mean I'm doing so for the sake of disagreeing, in fact I have no doubt my thoughts may help others decide if the extra costs of a Micron will be worth it, and the one pulling out their money makes the final choice and may not agree with my sentiments. good for them but at least they may have made an informed decision rather than just basing it on unsupported hype or comments that have no substance and I say that as again show me a single painting here that the micron can be thanked for and one that another brush simply could not create. If you can produce such, I'll happily go out, buy a $30 chinese rip off and replicate it.

I don't twist anyone's arm to read my posts, I'm not attacking anyone or being rude but simply trying to understand the comments made in relation to the Microns so called superiority and to suggest I'm not trying to help out the poster or confusing them is well OK.-Your opinion, but what the poster recieves in reply to what I feel are fair points is Blah, Blah, Blah. Whats more confusing?

you made you initial point clearly and provided an alternative view, why not leave it at that

Its called a conversation, conversing usually requires back and forward dialogue, and btw you've posted as often as I have LOL

C'mon, whatever you believe you gotta admit though it is a fun topic......But in case I go into the naughty book because I have an opinion that differs from others- I'll leave it at that :)

No mate what I'm saying is i stated my opinion which I believe to be of some use , you did exactly the same, which as I said was valuable because it gives and alternate point of view, I didn't then go through every point of your post and try and disprove or discredit each point in the manner you did,you said it's fun to get people excited, to stir the pot.....tongue in cheek or not that's what you set out to do and achieved. as I said I was a big champion of badger, count ken as a friend even, he's been very good to me (even giving me a krome and a patriot to play with (with the ultra fine kit I hasten to add) and i found the patriot to be utter garbage andthe krometo be a pretty decent brush....i myself was a sceptic of the micron, "it can't be that good can it etc etc" but since getting one I realise it is ....... and I'm not trying to justify it because I spent so much money on it......i didn't pay a penny for it..... i want to use the best there is, if something better comes along (watch this space) then I will use that
i may of posted just as many times as you but each was directed at thread author

Can you guess what brush this was done with......you probably wanna get that 30 bucks together

Attachments

• IMG_33483088054705.jpeg
    IMG_33483088054705.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 53
There's a misunderstanding going on here. Three times the price never means three times better. High performance equipment have, and always will cost a lot. You pay the extra 200% for the extra 20% in performance. It's the same with everything, cars, computers, race horses, weapons and so on.

I could have ended this thread after the very first post by simply saying YES and NO, at the end of the day the guy with the brush in his hand will decide if it's good or not, no matter what's been said here here, no one makes our choices for us.

@ad fez , that little painting is mine, I did it with a conventional spray gun with 0.2 mm tip, I did have to do a lot of masking and shielding though, ;)

It's like this. If you can't decide if it's worth it then you are not ready for a Micron...
My sentiments exactly.

The micron is my go to brush. i now have two of the little puppies:
microns.JPG

To answer your question - yes. The micron is hands down worth the money.
There are cheaper brushes available, but none will outperform the micron in the same users hands. The micron puts all the responsibility of the artwork on you - if there is a mistake, you cannot blame your tool, because it doesn't make mistakes.
Some have said it's 'finicky' in this thread - i assume they mean precise? yeah it is super precise.
I've never had a problem with a micron which you can blame on the gun, ever. I've had clogged tips and consequently free flow. Same solution every time; clean the tip (water based paint issue).
Other guns - besides my hi-line - every gun i've had a problem. needle bearings, poor trigger actions (rough), non-sealing tip, head assembly leaking etc.
Yes the micron is worth the money, yes there are better value airbrushes out there.

is the porsche 911 worth the money when you can get a subaru wrx that delivers 80% of the performance?
It's simply not the same.

I have a Micron CMC plus. LOVE IT. My next purchase will be a SB. If you buy one you won't be disappointed. I bought mine when I was very new to ABing. I was struggling with getting fine lines from my Eclipse back then. Got the Micron and, as a beginner, it immediately improved my abilities. Something to be said for that. This was my experience with it.

Cheryl have you tried side feed before? I know I had a Renegade side feed at one time and just didn't like it. It was the fact that the cup always ended up on the wrong side for angles spraying. I have the cm-c and cm-b. This way I have both sizes in Gravity feed. Just suits me better.

Back