For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Is this the future of teaching how to airbrush?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by huskystafford, Feb 29, 2020.

1. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Or maybe somebody is already doing this and I just don't have a clue?

I was thinking about all those nice courses which you can get, attend. You can get dvds, you can watch streaming prerecorded, you can watch live, and you can attend to smaller groups where ''teacher'' is teaching you.

But each of those has their own pros and cons. I would assume you learn the most in a group where you have a teacher watching you what are you doing. So, if location of that course is not good for you, you are out of luck. Or even date in some cases.

So I was wondering about teaching with Video conference apps. If camera would be turned to the subject which student is working on. Or more students.

https://zapier.com/blog/best-video-conferencing-apps/#zoom

Anybody done that already? Would anybody attend to class like that where teacher is looking at your shoulder with app like that? What would be cons or pros of teaching like that?

Share your thoughts.

I know title is a click bate, at least you gonna check this thread and maybe share your thought. :D
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

It will be the future and sad reality in the months to come, if we like it or not. My daughter is already having online classes (taught by her school teacher at home to the students all over the place) since one week. The COVID19 situation will lead to a similar scheme all over the place this year as people will be afraid to gather in person.
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

While video learning is fine for somethings. It is much like trying to learn from just watching videos . While you can sometimes ask questions it does not beat having an actual teacher in the room with you.
    Micha der Wolf, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  4. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

I was thinking in a sense I set my camera to my easel(paper on my easel) and you are watching live video of me airbrushing and correcting me while I am airbrushing.
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

Without everyone have a high def camera recorder it would be hard to see where you go wrong.
    Watch Steve Leahy , Gerald Mendez and the few other who have live feeds on FB and even when they mess up or have issues it is hard to see what they say they did wrong. Other then a blow out.
    jord001 likes this.
  6. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

I think the online teaching is something I’d be into if it’s not possible to go face to face. Scott MacKay is an artist that I greatly admire and he’s soon to be running online subscription based courses. Being that he’s based in Boston and I’m in the U.K. I would be happy to sign up. I’d rather learn from him in person, but this would at least give me the option.
    jord001 and Maple Art like this.
  7. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

This type of course is very suitable for many theoretical topics. But with manual training it is better if I can look directly at the teacher's fingers. As a teacher, I can also observe the students better. Of course you can do a lot of technical work to show how to work with your hands, you need some cameras and monitors. In craft it is better to guide directly. For example, I have a virtual paint booth, where I can train the basic movements. The students learn how to use it correctly, I can then evaluate the distance, angle, speed and overlap. Also good for the environment, I don't need paint and air. Digitization offers many advantages, you have to learn to use it wisely.
    SiRoxx likes this.