Iwata CM-CP2 or Iwata CM-SB2

I tend to look over my brush at a diagonal angle when painting, giving me a POV similar to Jagardn's first pic in his post. I've never had any trouble with my HP-CS this way.

However if I were to buy a Micron, I'd buy the SBS. I have a side-feed SOTAR, and it's made me prefer side feed over top feed. Has nothing to do with sight lines, but rather that I like the shorter trigger-to-tip distance, as well as the ability to switch paints without having to clean out the cup. Side feed IMO just has the best combo of abilities and handling. You get the workflow efficiency of a siphon feed, with the pressure range of a top feed, and a more dexterous, pen-like feel in the hand thanks to the shorter front.

I have a MAC valve connector, but I don't use it anymore, as my regulator handles increments well enough. In my experience, once you've calibrated to the right pressure at the beginning of a session, you don't really need to change it. Other people seem to like them, but in my experience it's just extra weight/bulk for a feature I won't actually need, whether it's in the brush or the air line.

That's just my preference though.

Don't sweat the hobby blues too much. I think model building has always been a bit niche, TBH, so it's not really in decline as much as it seems. RC stuff enjoyed a bit of a peak in the last decade, so a decline there could just as easily be a "correction" rather than a death knell. Airbrushes may be out of fashion for RC shops, but as long as full color 3D printing still looks like ass, airbrushing will still be important with the regular plastic model guys.

And for that matter, I don't think model building will ever really die unless we all start living in holodecks or the Matrix. The methods will probably all transfer to digital modelling and 3D printing in the coming decades, but as long as people like having physical objects, people will be making physical objects as a hobby. What I've seen in my lifetime is not a reduction in the amount of younger people modeling, just a splitting of that number between physical and digital methods. I do see a lot of people preferring pre-painted. pre-built models over kits, but I think in previous generations that demographic equates to people who'd buy a different kind of ornamental kipple rather than model builders (if you look at it culturally, this stuff is more equivalent to things like sports memorabilia), so I don't think they represent a reduction in the creative population.

In fact, if anything the creative population has exploded due to digital tools and internet resources making it easier and easier to get started. I would not want to be an aspiring pro concept illustrator or CG modeler today, as going by Tumblr and DeviantArt the market is insanely crowded!

@Nessus , thanks for the thorough elaboration of your experience and view on my comments.
My position is the same when I use my HP-B, too and I rarely (if ever) stand behind the brush fully. My concern was that the 7ml cup looks quite big, and "scary in line of view", so I wanted to hear people's view on that matter.

Regarding the second part, I never said any of the hobbies I listed will die or dissappear. I am just seeing a huge decline in new "blood" to keep more popular. RC stuff really got popular in the last couple of years, with China getting so many cheap products. But even with that, and no need of cutting balsa to build your plane, still there are not many young people interested getting out and enjoying the outdors. Without them, who will continue the hobby? RC stuff is so far from any type of 3D printing, so I think you were talking miniature modeling, not remote control flying plane modeling.
And your last sentence goes in direction I mentioned, all the kids like to do is phones, tablets, computers, getting themselves glued to those monitors.
I work 8 hours a day looking at computer screen, and believe me, I am trying to stay away from it as much as I can, which I try to force to my kids as much as possible.

I already have a HP-B and Sotar 20/20 2F which are .2mm nozzle ABs. I am wondering how different is CM-SB2 since that one comes with .18 nozzle, and how much difference that makes, both for precision and tip dry issues.

I have the HP-B+ (.2) and a CM B (.18) and the difference is noticeable, the CM is just more responsive, more consistency at the trigger, works better at low pressure,(easier to do fine details) if I can notice the difference as a novice then there must be something different lol

I already have a HP-B and Sotar 20/20 2F which are .2mm nozzle ABs. I am wondering how different is CM-SB2 since that one comes with .18 nozzle, and how much difference that makes, both for precision and tip dry issues.

The head assembly makes the difference between the HP and the CM series. More airflow at lower pressure. Tip dry for me has to do more with the paint being used and how polished the needle is.

Thanks for the pics, @jagardn. They look great.

I am just pissed off with couple of things.
I went on Iwata's website, looked at local distributors in NYC. I have found one, A. I. Friedman, close to my work (5 streets down), and I went there.
The sales person told me: "Oh, we don't carry airbrushes anymore. No one is using them anymore. They were huge some years ago, not anymore. blah, blah, blah"
Damn it, am I cursed that whatever I show interest is slowly dying as hobby?

Second, I am into riding motorcycles, Harley Davidson fan here, owner of 2015 Road Glide Special. Again, nowadays kids are not into riding, just phones, tablets, computers.

now im jealous ...lol... this is the bike of my dreams...lol...i rented one out in Gatlenburg Tenn. rode it on the dragon...loved it!!
im waitng for the extra cash for a new brush and have the exact same delima.... also CONGRATS On FB FREE.. I hate that people WASTE so much life there...

Being side feed and me do not play well together the CM-C+ v2 is awesome . You can order either one with .18 or .23 set up My new CM-C+ V2 has the .18 set up in it .
I only go with people I can trust so Coast Airbrush is about the only place I order from when it comes to buying an airbrush.
Being I always look at from the side of the airbrush and not straight down the barrel so to speak the cup is not a problem . Even on my Kustom which has even a larger cup then the CM-C+ V2 , Mainly bottom line on any airbrush is YOU!!!what you like due to you are the one using it .
Some love side feed , other bottom feed , Me I am gravity feed .
So the reasons why we like what we like is how we use the airbrush and out own style .

.i rented one out in Gatlenburg Tenn. rode it on the dragon...loved it!!

Now I am jealous, :), I hope to be able to ride the Dragon any time soon. It is not that close to me, so I have to make it as a special trip.

Do I dare to bring the CM-B into the mix? Anyone has any experience with it?

Do I dare to bring the CM-B into the mix? Anyone has any experience with it?

I have the CM-B, fine brush, well balanced and a nice feel in the hand, small cup though which can be difficult to clean but you get around that easy with a small soft brush.

another thumbs up for the CM-B, yes the cup is small but i don't use it for laying down large amounts of colour, I also have a HP-A+ which is a no cup, just a hole in the body and I'm surprised how much I use it for small highlights etc.

I throw this in the mix, since my idea was to buy one of these directly from Japan. I have found a reputable USA seller, that has probably a mistake in the price for that airbrush, so I was thinking to buy it from them, and if they claim entry error, to use the "customer is always right" policy. :p:eek:

The v2 of CM-B goes with them for around $400. CM-CP and CM-SB are priced over $550, which is more normal for USA located dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nessus , thanks for the thorough elaboration of your experience and view on my comments.
My position is the same when I use my HP-B, too and I rarely (if ever) stand behind the brush fully. My concern was that the 7ml cup looks quite big, and "scary in line of view", so I wanted to hear people's view on that matter.

Reason I mentioned my experience with the HP-CS is because it has the same cup size and (I think) position as the CM-C+. It may not spray the same, but the sightlines should be comparable, if not identical.

I know I wouldn't feel at all comfortable dropping money on an investment this large if I had uncertainties as broad as top vs side feed. I mean, the fact that you're considering an import and/or exploiting a seller's mistake implies this is not an expense you're likely to be able or willing to repeat. I'd strongly suggest hold off on deciding at least until you've had the chance to try out another side feed model, just to see how the top vs side compare in a general sense. Might even be worth buying a Chinese cheapie solely to test this. IMO it would really suck to take the full plunge, only to discover a few months down the road (either via using that brush, or from trying someone else's) that you wish you had gotten the other one.

And with a CM, I'd think very carefully before going for an import, despite the huge price break. For something that dear, I'd personally want the security of the local warranty. I have bought import before, and it IMO was the best decision for that specific model I purchased, but IMO you gotta think of imports as being more comparable to buying used/second hand, rather than as a cheaper form of new.

I rushed out a bit the opportunity to take advantage of the seller's mistake, so that is off the table.
What I thought was a reputable USA seller, seem to be awfully bad customer service company, according to a lot of reviews online. I was surprised how many bad reviews were out there, from Yelp and BBB, through some other online site, too.
So, definitely I will not go with them, even that buying from USA "should" bring some kind of warranty.
Regarding the top vs side fed, I will probably go with top fed. After reading some of the characteristics of the siphon feed, I think that will require a slight learning curve, and constant change in mindset, when I change ABs.
What I think will work best for me, at this point, is CM-B, small cup, top fed like my Sotar and HP-B, with the construction benefits of the CM family.
Thank for your input, @Nessus.

I am still open to hear from others what you think, and what your experience is.

Note: Is anyone on this forum located in Northern New Jersey (Bergen County), Manhattan, or Brooklyn & Queens? It will be nice to meet someone local and have some discussions, gain some experience, and learn from each other (less from me, since I am at very beginning, lol).

Don't feal bad about asking questions that have already been asked. I do it all the time and so far not to many people here hate me lmao. I never noticed a problem with color cups blocking the view. Try that cup for size. One thing cool aboot the cmsb 8s the finer needle size but you can put the needle n9zle set in the cmc+. As for the Mac valve I have a regulator at my side . I find it sort of like those adjustable Air brush handles with the needle stop. After a certain point in airbrushing you should have the proper B controle to controle the Mount your spraying. I never use the handles anymore.
With the cmsb you. AN CHANGE THE ANGLE of the cup and also change colors quickly I say cmsb

Attachments

• 1459113599327.jpg
    1459113599327.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1459114083103.jpg
    1459114083103.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1459114126913.jpg
    1459114126913.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 26
I haven't read the whole thread yet as im trying to dip outta work, but with owning a cm-b and hp-cs the cup on the top is not an issue for me, but I look at where I'm painting from the side almost, almost the same as when I am drawing.

Back