Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or 105 Badger Patriot

Pepeeltattoo

Double Actioner
Good morning people !!!
I'm looking between two airbrushes to level up, I would like opinion about which to choose .I am thinking of buying the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or 105 Badger Patriot. That you believe, what you recommend me?

You would probably be happier with the Eclipse. It has packaging that makes it look kind of old, but it doesn't skimp on areas where it can like the Badger airbrushes. That's the one thing I noticed when comparing my HP-CH (Iwata model below the Custom Micron) with the Sotar 20/20 (Badger's top end airbrush), that the Badger is rougher in the areas it can afford to be, like the threads and needle guides. The HP-CH is smooth the whole way through disassembling it, and reassembling it, and I can only assume the Eclipse is the same way. That said, the Badger airbrushes are not made to be disassembled often. The needle is the only part that is made to be regularly removed, and Ken (Badger's CEO) has specifically talked about this. They are supposed to be able to be cleaned without needing to be disassembled.

If you are already partial to Badger, however, it may be something you want to consider. From what I could see at a glance at your post history, you have a Chinese airbrush, which are largely hit and miss. Working or not, they are more similar in design to the Iwata airbrushes, so you may want to go for the HP-CS just based on familiarity with the parts.

Another potential option is the Sotar 20/20 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROVIO (people call it a detail brush, but the same people would have trouble doing detail with the Medium 0.45mm or Large 0.7mm needle), which you can buy off US Amazon for cheaper than either airbrush (80-something euros). The big problem with that is experience. The Fine needle is extremely dependent on paint reductions, and that is something you learn from experience, making the airbrush horrible to beginners. You can learn with the Medium set (bought separately) though, which some people seem to forget. The other potential problem is shipping. Shipping to Spain may be impossible from Amazon, or it may be extraordinarily expensive. If you can't buy it off Amazon, the next cheapest price would be about 200 euros, in which case it becomes unreasonable (not really, 200 euros would be easily worth it, but it probably wouldn't fit in your budget).

You would probably be happier with the Eclipse. It has packaging that makes it look kind of old, but it doesn't skimp on areas where it can like the Badger airbrushes. That's the one thing I noticed when comparing my HP-CH (Iwata model below the Custom Micron) with the Sotar 20/20 (Badger's top end airbrush), that the Badger is rougher in the areas it can afford to be, like the threads and needle guides. The HP-CH is smooth the whole way through disassembling it, and reassembling it, and I can only assume the Eclipse is the same way. That said, the Badger airbrushes are not made to be disassembled often. The needle is the only part that is made to be regularly removed, and Ken (Badger's CEO) has specifically talked about this. They are supposed to be able to be cleaned without needing to be disassembled.

If you are already partial to Badger, however, it may be something you want to consider. From what I could see at a glance at your post history, you have a Chinese airbrush, which are largely hit and miss. Working or not, they are more similar in design to the Iwata airbrushes, so you may want to go for the HP-CS just based on familiarity with the parts.

Another potential option is the Sotar 20/20 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROVIO (people call it a detail brush, but the same people would have trouble doing detail with the Medium 0.45mm or Large 0.7mm needle), which you can buy off US Amazon for cheaper than either airbrush (80-something euros). The big problem with that is experience. The Fine needle is extremely dependent on paint reductions, and that is something you learn from experience, making the airbrush horrible to beginners. You can learn with the Medium set (bought separately) though, which some people seem to forget. The other potential problem is shipping. Shipping to Spain may be impossible from Amazon, or it may be extraordinarily expensive. If you can't buy it off Amazon, the next cheapest price would be about 200 euros, in which case it becomes unreasonable (not really, 200 euros would be easily worth it, but it probably wouldn't fit in your budget).

Thanks for your answer, I'm having it more clear

I haven't personally used a Harder and Steenbeck airbrush, but I have heard good things. The main thing everyone either loves or hates, is that you don't need to press down to engage air, so it acts like a spray gun trigger where pressing the trigger lightly turns air on and pressing more pulls the needle back. As far as I understand, it reduces stress on your finger, but is Harder (hah) to get used to.

Honestly, you should just go for the HP-CS. It is so reliable, so many people use it, and parts are affordable. You shouldn't look at it as a complicated decision, it really isn't, there is just a lot of choice. I can't speak for your experience, but I believe you will be happy with the Eclipse.

I can get a Harder Evolution CRplus 134 dollars (119 €), such a that option?

You should definitely go for that , Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes are the best in the world and nothing else comes close, they are perfect and precision made and even the ultra form Harder & Steenbeck way out performs the most expensive Micron, next to Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes everything else simply rubbish, I recommend that anyone and everyone who might have any other brand of brush simply scrap them and get themselves a harder & Steenbeck.

If anyone in this world ever had a problem with a Harder & Steenbeck brush, it had nothing to do with the perfectly made airbrush, it's because they are idiots like me who didn't have a clue in the first place and simply weren't worthy of such a fine instrument.

Did you stop for breath Madbrush? That was one sentence. The whole first paragraph was one sentence. I will convert to H&S brushes if you, Jessica Alba, or "Takamoto Iwata San" send me a H&S.

Hp-cs was my first quality brush, did everything I needed from it , can do pretty fine detail and a good distance brush too, it does it all, a great all rounder, I don,t know mush about it,s competition but you won,t regret getting any iwata brush. Good luck!.

I use a h&s evolution , I asked a similar question on which brush to buy and got a load of suggestions to go for the iwata,
Needless to say I bought the h&s, nice brush but have been having some issues as to trigger sensitivity,that said I have just spent 2 hrs following suggestions as to improve it,and it is 100% better now.

I am however looking at buying an iwata ( just about to push the buy button on a micron)as I still feel it would be a better brush all around for my needs.
Should of listened to the advice I got originally.

This is of course just my opinion in my situation.

You should definitely go for that , Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes are the best in the world and nothing else comes close, they are perfect and precision made and even the ultra form Harder & Steenbeck way out performs the most expensive Micron, next to Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes everything else simply rubbish, I recommend that anyone and everyone who might have any other brand of brush simply scrap them and get themselves a harder & Steenbeck.

If anyone in this world ever had a problem with a Harder & Steenbeck brush, it had nothing to do with the perfectly made airbrush, it's because they are idiots like me who didn't have a clue in the first place and simply weren't worthy of such a fine instrument.
had a problem with one by any chance:whistling:

had a problem with one by any chance:whistling:

Not at all, I'm an idiot and I just don't understand enough about precision tools, but if I ever become worthy I've decided to buy the Infinity, but that's only because I love Iron man, I have two box sets of the films including Avengers in case one set gets scratched, I chose the Infinity specifically because if I should ever feel the need to lob it as well, just like my other favourite friend Buzz Lightyear, it will go to Infinity and beyond, but I doubt that will be necessary because I will also buy the special reaming cleaning tool so I can instantly convert it to 0.8 and tar the inside of my gutters as well as creating the wondrous works of art only possible with a Harder & Steenbeck, which in case I haven't already mentioned are in fact the best airbrushes in the world and nothing else even comes close.:thumbsup:

I would not buy a badger if you live in Europe , if there is something wrong with the brush you need to send it back to the states to get it fixed , I am no fan of the H&S either but that is because I am spoiled by the use a of a modified iwata's with softer springs

The main thing everyone either loves or hates, is that you don't need to press down to engage air, so it acts like a spray gun trigger where pressing the trigger lightly turns air on and pressing more pulls the needle back.

No, (at least) the Evolution and the Infinity works as most airbrushes, by pressing down for air, and back for paint.
The old Hansa airbrushes have the "controlled double action"-system, that works the way you describe.

I had the 105 and sold it and bought the Eclipse. Too me there was a day night difference. Maybe I got a dud. Who knows.

We should make this a sticky. It's the most true statement I have ever seen on this or any forum. ;)

I haven't personally used a Harder and Steenbeck airbrush, but I have heard good things. The main thing everyone either loves or hates, is that you don't need to press down to engage air, so it acts like a spray gun trigger where pressing the trigger lightly turns air on and pressing more pulls the needle back. As far as I understand, it reduces stress on your finger, but is Harder (hah) to get used to.

The only H&S Airbrush that works like this is the Colani. All the rest work the same as any other double action airbrush(unless the statement @Madbrush mentioned about being an idiot is true).

Back