Iwata Eclipse trigger question

You are one funny chick Squishy. lol

The deal is I think that I'm not going to be a illustration paint kind of guy and need to use something more in tune with the outdoors. From my reading it looks like Wicked may be better suited for that.
I was reading a lot of your new/old posts including the use of 4012. If paint is going to be such a variable, I think its going to behoove me to switch right now, rather than a later switch, so my brain doesnt start smoking again from confusion.
In the interests of fair play E'tac private stock is also an option which someone else may be able to fill you in on, as its not something I use, but has similar applications apparently.

As for Wicked, if you've read me banging on about it, you know I'm a fan. It will be great for your guns, plus if you do feel like dabbling in some illustration or t shirts or whatever, you can.

It does take a bit of getting to know, and you will probably need to reduce more than you do right now. But you are right, if that's the paint that's going to meet your needs, then its good to start as you mean to go on, and really get comfortable with it. You could just try dipping your toe in by getting a bottle and some 4012 to try before you dive right in and spend a ton of cash. Or maybe one opaque and one detail, which is what they call their trans, so that you can see how it looks and works with whatever clear you plan to use. The detail pops nicely.

as a add to Airbrush Dreams post, check out Dons demo on spray , https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/spray-pattern
it will give you a better idea of how the spray
a) should look, (if you have a blockage of any sort the symmetry will be off centre)
b) is shaped and therefore is a major factor in getting fine lines/ wider sprays

OK Jack, now you're kinda worrying me about you guys setting up a webcam somewhere around here. I was curious about that exact thing earlier so I loaded the gun with some water, turned off the lights except for a LED task light over the end of the gun. Then eyeballed the stream from behind while playing with pressure at the same time. It was pretty amazing how a little change in pressure affected the pattern. I thought I need to get pretty serious about exploring that.
Then you go and post that link. :)
Its impressive the amount of info that Don has there. I've looked at a lot of stuff but hadnt seen that one. Thanks! You saved me some time.

In the interests of fair play E'tac private stock is also an option which someone else may be able to fill you in on, as its not something I use, but has similar applications apparently.
one detail, which is what they call their trans, so that you can see how it looks and works with whatever clear you plan to use. The detail pops nicely.

Been down that road looking for Etac Squishy. It seems like its pretty much exclusive to you all on that side of the pond. After having to eliminate that, that pretty much left Wicked for a starting point.

You also saved me a question destined for the future about the Detail.
Think you just answered that for me!

Gonna have me some by friday now so I can try it. I'm starting to get comfortable with what I know now about understanding Com-Art. No sense in getting comfortable now and ruin a great run on stress and frustration.lollol

don't wait, use what you have, maybe reduce it a little, but just keep practicing your dots and daggers, get that muscle memory happening with your trigger finger.

Dons site is a great source of info, the newbie section and troubleshooting section here will also provide a whole heap of questions you didn't even know you wanted the answers to :D

Waiting is not my strong suit when I'm set on learning something. You might have picked up on that by now. Been afraid to discover any new questions since I seem pretty good at keeping my inbox full as it is. :p
I have the 3 bottles of 2 oz. Com-art, some water based dye.

And if that all runs out, I have loads of alcohol dye to put in Denatured alcohol. Whatever it takes to mark paper.

If I have to don the respirator just to carry on with dots, lines and daggers, then so be it. :lipssealed::)

youre old enough to know that you should be masking up anyhow !! the mask varies between a simple dust mask and a Darth Vader impersonation dependant on the type of paint being used.
if you're an impatient so and so then you'll fit in fine ! none of us are known for being patient....

I am. I am so patient that a doctor should always carry me around to be their patient, I am so patient that they named the card game after me, I am so patient that people started calling their daughters Patience after me. I am the patron saint of waiting, institutions every where have rooms dedicated to me, where people can practice waiting in homage to my example of patientness. As long as I get what I want now, right now, this very minute, you'll be astounded at just how patient I can be.

And I am so patient that I had to take a dump, but with all the crap I just absorbed I figured I would wait and get rid of it all at one time. lol

youre old enough to know that you should be masking up anyhow !! the mask varies between a simple dust mask and a Darth Vader impersonation dependant on the type of paint being used.
if you're an impatient so and so then you'll fit in fine ! none of us are known for being patient....

I've still got my Margaret Thatcher mask, that just scares all the bad stuff away, but I've had it a while and it's the worse for wear now, well actually I suppose it probably looks more like old Margaret does now, partially decomposed:eek:, I nearly chose the John Major or Tony Blair mask, but decided I didn't want to look stupido_O

Airbrush Dreams, Those particular tips are ones that I am in dire need of, and didnt even really know it until I read your post. Thanks. :)
Especially the waiting for the paint to flow thing. I do have a tendency to do that at times and I got the feeling like you were looking over my shoulder today.
Really need to get my timing down to avoid that. Its pretty much the whole basis for the start of the thread.
Just don't over think it and just let it flow out of you. You will find it all becomes almost second nature as your eye and hand sink. Jut like riding a bike, you don't sit looking at your feet to start peddling. Mainly in the back of your mind air on while pointing away from your painting ( nothing worse then a splotch of paint where didn't want it) then move over your surface. When you finish a line keep your hand shoulder and arm moving so there is no sudden dot at the end of the stroke. The way to get this rhythm is to place two dots on you paper and connect the dots with one stroke. Start air, start moving and paint as you pass over the first dot and stop paint as you pass over the end dot. Do this in both directions. This synchronizes the hand eye coordination and over time it becomes second nature and you will find you no longer are sitting there waiting for the paint to flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what a great exercise! Makes perfect sense.

I have been doing horizonatal lines (vs. dots) and then trying to hit the start point on that line. Of course that does nothing to help actual start point accuracy nor the end point.
Add to that my recent 'introduction' to the woes of not recognizing early tip dry, and the frustration had me bagging sessions early.
Dots at the ends of lines seemed unavoidable.
The combo of tip dry and inexperience seem to be a match made in heaven for that. :)
You came through in spades AD. Thanks very much for your time to help.

AD got your back. Just keep the air on and snap the paint on and off while keeping your arm moving through the line/stroke - double actioning.

AD got your back. Just keep the air on and snap the paint on and off while keeping your arm moving through the line/stroke - double actioning.

Also, I must add. Dont even think of trying this if you have drank a pot of coffee. Your lines will look like your toes were plugged into a wall outlet.

Thanks Squishy for the great advice! Except you were a little late on the second half and I had to discover that for myself. lol

Thanks Maple Art, I discovered the Etac here afterwards. I had already ordered some Wicked detail, so we'll see how that goes. Another realization that hit me is temperature performance. In the winter here, my shop struggles to get to 60f. Squishy had a note on 4020 (and cool weather) in another thread that slapped me right up side the head with that. As if I dont have enough to figure out already. :thumbsdown::)

lol Now you know why the statement "steep learning curve" is often said to newbies.
Paint, pressure, airbrush are just the beginnings of you headaches.

I'm serious ! If you've Had the same thought bubble that many of us had - 'how hard can this be?' Then you're about to find out just how hard it is.
But it's fun. I often think there should be a 'disclaimer' that all newbs get (wish I'd got one) saying you'll have headaches in the beginning but if you truely want to do this then persevere, it does get easier and once you leave the safety of the dots and daggers and produce your first picture it all becomes worth it

Etac or com-art are great. Most will spray straight out of the bottle without reductions, minimal clogging. Etac EFX helped set me on the right path, I now get on a lot better with my createx illustration paints​

I'm serious ! If you've Had the same thought bubble that many of us had - 'how hard can this be?' Then you're about to find out just how hard it is.
But it's fun.​

Ha! I'm way past the thought that this is easy.

I have likened the learning curve to this analogy. You know when that all important receipt or paper blows out of your car/truck when you open the door? It just lays there waiting quietly to be picked up. But when you reach down, a little wind blows it about 10 feet. Many times, at some point, it blows directly centered under the vehicle where its almost impossible to get to without getting down and dirty. And thats where it stays until you crawl under and thats when it blows out. And so on and so on. :)

The new rule established today is with the first compulsive F-bomb, I dump the cup and clean up.
Made it a whole 20 minutes with that today in one sitting. :)lol

I think most of us can relate to this. Just when you think you've 'got it' something happens to remind you that you don't.
Even the pro's have off days!
But on those days where the planets align, the gods are smiling and the Unicorns are burping rainbows then you know why you do this

Etac or com-art are great. Most will spray straight out of the bottle without reductions, minimal clogging. Etac EFX helped set me on the right path, I now get on a lot better with my createx illustration paints​

Well it happened and you were right about finding a paint that works.
I am now on the right path thanks indirectly to old posts from Squishy and Andre, promoting Wicked and ComArt respectively. I had some ComArt as a 'bonus' that came with my Eclipse. Had lotsa problems, and without a doubt due to inexperience.
So I bought some Wicked Detail, along with 4012 highly touted by Squishy.
Not real crazy about the Details' saturation, but that fact was there for me to read. Just didnt see it, but it will have its place here.
Back to the Com-art and it was better with my practice, but still not crazy about it.

Then I found Andres post(s) today (from 2012?) regarding using Com-art with Iwata medium, which seems to be kind of a secret. Figured if Andre wont use Com-art without the Iwata Medium, what chance does a newb have at being satisfied? I know people use it successfully, but I just cant seem to 'get it to go' like I want.
Didnt have the Iwata Medium of course, but what I did have now is the 4012 that came with the Wicked.

So I used some of the 4012 and reduced blue Comart by about 30% and shot some at 15psi. OMG the sun come out and the world suddenly became nothing but butterflies and roses! Its just fabulous.

Now I finally get yet another thing that you guys have been saying. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I might have mentions once or twice that I like the 4012 lol, or maybe 3 or 4......or a hundred times lol. I haven't used com art, but I'm not surprised it works well with it. I have tried it with some E'tac though, and found it worked really well, but I'm used to Wicked and E'tac is hard for me to get so it wasn't for me. However if you did want to try E'tac, and didn't get on to well just reducing with water, or find all the other additives a bit confusing, then my (admittedly very limited) experience is the 4012 works just great with it.

Just bear in mind one of the properties of the 4012 is quicker drying and tougher cure, so any erasing has to be done pretty quickly.

Back