Iwata Powerjet Pro repairs

Awesome write up Jordo, it’s great to see something fixed rather than binned.

I’ll be bookmarking this ‘just in case’ :)

Awesome write up Jordo, it’s great to see something fixed rather than binned.

I’ll be bookmarking this ‘just in case’ :)

I'm old school @JackEb I don't like to throw stuff away, the wife says i'm a bit of a hoarder, I blame it on AAD only she said the A stands for Anything :)
plus the fact that its a £400 compressor.

Lee

Score on having the bearing in stock :)
Nice job

I would have waited till next week if I hadn't have seen "scooter" mentioned when searching for 608z bearings.
Not sure how they will stand up compared to the factory fitted originals but since it's an easy replacement I'm not too worried if it only lasts 6 months. The only other part I would be interested in getting would be the counter balance that the conrod attaches to, as that would be the other part that I coould imagine would wear and cause a problem.

Lee

@Robbyrockett2 As an educated guess, I would be quite confident to assume that all the similar compressors like the common AS186, the sparmax TC2000, Badger BA1000 and the Iwata range (they're built by sparmax anyway) will all be very similar if not identical inside.

So anyone who is interested get your tools out, get the covers off and have a look. Don't be scared.

Now I just need to locate the quick connects I put in a safe place so I can start using it again. If anyone needs replacements here's the info

Product ID: 012-009. Iwata 1/4 QD Male Adapter DHCL
or
The sparmax version (PLUG NIPPLE SPARMAX 1/4) is exactly the same only a 3rd of the price of the Iwata one.
I found them at https://www.lion-art.nl/Steeknippel-Sparmax-1/4

Lee

I would guess you're probably right. All of the compressors seem to be of a common design. All of the name brand seem to be Taiwanese and made through either sparmax or airtex. All the no name seem to be mainland China same design.
Through some experience with sewing machines I would guess the biggest difference would be in the motor windings. I have a German necchi machine, largely made in Taiwan, specifically the motor. It is the same design as a mid 90s JCPenney copycat made in China. The biggest difference was the China built was way less powerful and the main gears and belt were awful, otherwise all the parts are fairly close in quality.
Since the 608 is skateboard size, you could go crazy on quality if you want to
Bones Swiss ceramics.....you name it.
Some very high abec ratings available.
Basically you could get anything you want for reasonable prices since it's so common.
Also a bearing that goes in some alternators and often is the cause of their demise.

If the scooter bearings you put in are the usual abec 5 they are probably better than the original

Doesn't say much on the bearing I took out apart from made in Taiwan 608z and TP1. The green slime bearings are abec-11 so made to really tight tolerances. Should be much better than the original and I think they were only about £5 for a set of 4 They have lasted well in my god daughters stunt scooter and that's been done and abused for a long time.

Lee

I think I have to go back to agreeing w you when you said hard to say how long they'll last. I just looked it up, abec 11 does not exist as a standard. So any abec 11 bearing is simply including it as part of the trade name of the product.
Abec 9 is as high as the standard goes. So it's hard to say what the true rating is on the bearings you used.
Take a look at abec 9 and you'll see a lot more reputable companies selling them.
bones,spitfire, Boca,

Though typical short boards use 5 so there's enough friction to have a little control , and the 7 and 9 are usually for longboards.

Last edited:
Your right, but to be honest when I brought them I didn't look at the Abec rating and didn't realise it only went up to 9 on the scale till I just checked, I just knew the higher the rating the better so we shall see how long it lasts, hopefully that are better than what was on it and it don't fail after a week. Thinking about it, I didn't look at the ratings on the new ones I ordered, this is something I need to check. Ok one is Abec 7 and the other doesn't say but they're only cheap so no worries there. I found some bones ones so I may look at those in the future. What am I saying, I hope i'm not changing the bearings that often lol

Lee

I think I have to go back to agreeing w you when you said hard to say how long they'll last. I just looked it up, abec 11 does not exist as a standard. So any abec 11 bearing is simply including it as part of the trade name of the product.
Abec 9 is as high as the standard goes. So it's hard to say what the true rating is on the bearings you used.
Take a look at abec 9 and you'll see a lot more reputable companies selling them.
bones,spitfire, Boca,

Though typical short boards use 5 so there's enough friction to have a little control , and the 7 and 9 are usually for longboards.
Robby the jedi master nailed it as always :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:ABEC_scale

Back