Iwata side feed cup modifying

Vladimir

Detail Decepticon!
All side feed iwatas go with small siphon cups without the lids. I don't like that the cups are unlided, as I prefer to use more than one airbrush at one time, so the colours that aren’t in use, stay in the same cup for a while. Paint starts to dry on the sides and it causes unpleasant issues, which you all know:)
To solve the issues, I bought bigger cups with the lids, but smaller cups are lying around without use. Some ideas to make the lids for the cups have come into my mind.
But in the end we have not only the lid, but also volume extension, which is also pleasant thing.

I ordered two parts from the turner. They're brass ring and the lid. In this case the lid is made with titanium so it's almost weightless. When I take it in my hand, I have to see if I ever picked up something, it's really light. But any rustfree material will do as titanium isn’t that cheap. I haven’t actually asked the turner to make it with titanium, my request was only „to have it made with something stainless”. So... titanium is also stainless, I think:)

For the first, I've sanded off the chrome plating of the cup, where soldering is planned. The ring was also sanded for having smoother surface, than right after machine turning. After that I soldered two parts, then treated with Dremel. There was also some hand sanding and polishing afterwards.

And besides, I've spared some cash by not buing new cup;)
Maybe this info will be interesting for someone.
It's not very easy to do, but at the end we have the result.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Lucky man, having a machinist who works that cheaply around! Hereabouts buying several extra of the larger cups would probably be less expensive than having even one such part custom made.

There's also the plastic Aztek cups, which are dirt cheap (in the US, at least), come in all sizes with lids, and as I understand it fit Iwata brushes without modification. Not as pretty or unique though.

Lucky man, having a machinist who works that cheaply around! Hereabouts buying several extra of the larger cups would probably be less expensive than having even one such part custom made.

There's also the plastic Aztek cups, which are dirt cheap (in the US, at least), come in all sizes with lids, and as I understand it fit Iwata brushes without modification. Not as pretty or unique though.

Yes, there's a situation here when custom made cup is cheaper than iwata cup. But when those turners leave this world there will be no one to make parts, or the price will be so high, that it will be cheaper to buy lidded cup, or something else. Young generation doesn't want to become turners, other technicians etc.

Thanx for the Aztec advice!:)
Andre has already told me that they fit iwata without any modification. But mind that delivery from the US to Ukraine starts from 30 bucks, so when I order smth, I pay for goods more that delivery fee, as to pay 30 for the cups of 14 doesn't make sense:)
And honestly, if here would be good economical situation, I'd buy goods without exploding my brain how to modify smth, but the situation is bad. So I have to think over many things, maybe I can do them myself.

I actually rather like these kinds of modifications, and must say yours came out quite beautifully. I am a big fan of diy solutions, and this certainly qualifies. Also, your photographs are quite well done!

image.jpeg https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/paint-cups

Here's a link about using hole plugs, etc
Hope this helps someone

that is a class A solution :) I never use lids myself and never felt the need for it but I use Etac efx paints and never had a problem with the paint drying in the cup

Back