For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Jagardn - Paint Pal 6 - Step by Step

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by jagardn, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Forum Supporter

This is a picture of my finished painting from Paint Pals 6, I found the reference on Pinterest and it was a really caught my eye, had a lot of texture, change of focus and come nice colors.

PaintPal 6-WIP - Finished.jpg

The only real changes I made from the original was isolating the color to the eyeball only, and punching up the saturation of the colors. I’ve always liked this effect when done in photography, so I figured I’d paint one that way.

Substrate: 5”x7” Yupo Paper

Paint: Createx Illustration

Airbrushes: H&S Evolution AL Plus, Infinity, Iwata HP-CH, Olympos HP-100SB

Tools: will be listed below

Here is a picture of the tools that were used on this project.

PaintPal 6-WIP - Tools.jpg

From right to left, #15 Scalpel, Hard Ink Eraser, Medium Ink Eraser, Soft Pencil Eraser, Kneaded Eraser, Pentel ZE22 Wide Soft Eraser, Tombow 2.3mm Soft Eraser, and two 1/4” Oak Dowels(one with conical shapes and the other cut with a blade for wide. blade like edges)

These wooden dowels work awesome for Yupo techniques, but I have not tried them on any other substrate.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 1 Oak Dowels.jpg

In the first image here are just the very basic shapes dusted in through a printed image and cut out the basic dark shapes as a stencil.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 1.jpg

The very edge of the eye is a pretty hard edge, so I tape this stencil above my painting so I can hinge it when ever I want to re-establish the hard lines.
    Notice that I also just start dusting in the basic shapes and directions on the rest of the painting. These are just references at this time but using light layers will eventually add to the depth of value created in the painting.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 2.jpg

Here I start darkening some of the really deep shadows, while I am doing this, I am dusting over some of the other darker areas, then scratching/ erasing to start adding texture to some of the areas that are in shadow.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 3.jpg

The wooden dowels were used here to establish the texture to the bottom left of the tear duct, The dowels are much better when the paint is fresh. With Createx Illustration, if you go past 15 minutes or so, the delayed cross linking kicks in and becomes harder to erase or scratch.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 4.jpg

In this image, I continue to build the shadows and texture, but I establish the edge of the highlight on the eye. In the highlight on the reference, there is some very subtle gray colors with some texture in it, so that portion is done very early in the painting.
    I also start erasing some of the basic shapes that I see in the shadowed area of the eye to the right of the highlight.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 5.jpg

Pushing back the shadows some more, added some wisps of what look like soft hair shapes to the background and use a soft eraser to bring some more contrast.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 6.jpg

The other basic blobs of shadows on the unfocused areas of the cheek and side of the face are deepened.
    Added more depth to the Iris of the eye, still erasing and scratching in light layers to create depth. The more layers you create, the more believable the painting will be(to a point, you don’t need to go overboard)
    Here is mostly looking back and forth between my painting and reference to get the shadows more accurate. While doing this for each layer, I am scratching out the next brightest area in the hair at the top of the painting.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 7.jpg

Finally……Color!! I see quite a bit of Violet in the areas where I’ve sprayed the reference, so at this point, I am just spraying some in as a base. Notice that none of the Violet is in the highlight area of the eye? Thats because it is not in the reference, so I used a torn piece of printer paper as a shield to cover the highlight. Torn paper creates a much more organic edge than a freehand shield, actually, I used no free hand shields on this painting except for the hard edge of the eye. All of the colors in this painting were straight from the bottle.

This isn’t my normal style, as I usually match opaque paints, but for this style of painting, it works perfectly and is much faster.
    Kai Halonen, doc1 and Markgman73 like this.
  2. jagardn

PaintPal 6-WIP - 8.jpg

I start laying in some Cobalt Blue and Scarlet in the areas where I see the colors. Nothing special here, just laying in the basic shapes. These color layers are put in the same as the shadows, there is a major difference though, Since I am using all transparent paints on this one, I have to be looking at what other colors I will be spraying over them later, which will effect the hue and saturati

PaintPal 6-WIP - 9.jpg

Scratching and erasing are done in the areas of Scarlet to re-establish the highliights, then more paint is put down to deepen the shadow areas. A good rule when using transparent paints is that it is better to have too much saturation in your color than not enough. It is easy to kill the saturation of a color by adding its complementary color, but it is damn near impossible to re gain saturation once it is gone.

PaintPal 6-WIP - 10.jpg

A very small layer of Orange was put in the deeper red areas, along with Yellow. See how there is no noticeable overspray on the highlight along the lower portion of the eye.

PaintPal 6-WIP - Denim Trick.jpg

Here is the magic behind that one. I needed a soft edge along there, it could have been done with airbrush control and angling the airbrush away from the highlighted edge, but it was much simpler for me to use the edge some denim. I just cut up some old jeans and cut a some random shapes on them and frayed the edges. It gives a nice soft edge and ensures I get no overspray on my highlight. :)
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Thank you for taking the time to do this
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I can try this sbs and never have it look as great as the airbrushed picture itself Jeff but thank you for
    showing us how you did it you inspire us all to be this good
  5. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Amazing as i expected. Thanks for showing us this. I picked up some great information.
  6. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

Excellent tutorial Jeff, some great tips in there aswell, stunning pic:thumbsup:
  7. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

Very cool SBS Jeff.
  8. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington)

Cheers Jeff mate, that is a great SBS , very informative and great result!
  9. wmlepage

wmlepage Guest

Great SBS Jeff!
  10. thank you I really love sbs ill have to try this one out thanks for sharing
  11. Boltcase

Boltcase Guest

Great sbs, thx Jeff :thumbsup:
  12. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

Thanks a lot for share !!
  13. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Staff Member Mod

Totally way cool!! Thanks for sharing!!
  14. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

This is really mind blowing stuff.
    I aspire to be 1/10 as good as this S-B-S shows us you are.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, Jeff.
    It's very much appreciated.
  15. jagardn

Thanks for all the comments! :)
    I forgot a pretty important part of the step by step. Here is the color reference and the resized/desaturated image I used for the stencil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    doc1 likes this.
  16. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

And I can tell everyone It look's even better in person! Thank's Jeff for the sbs Too great job on both!!
    jagardn likes this.
  17. Jose Manuel

Jose Manuel Double Actioner

Thanks for taking the time to this sbs, I liked
  18. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

cool picture and step by step :thumbsup:

ps that is one awesome reference :)
  19. Whistlingtom

Whistlingtom Triple Actioner

Wow. Super SBS. In particular I liked the part of adding the transparent color and the magic denim trick. Thans
    jagardn likes this.