jagardn's Log - Start Date Oct 12 - 2013

Herb that comes from him not having children. Kids just suck the life and money out of you.

Herb that comes from him not having children. Kids just suck the life and money out of you.
You have that right and when they hit college and 2 of them are in college you are living under the poor house cause you can not afford to live in it ..

Working on a demo piece for a local business. They buy and sell dog paintings. The owner gave me a good reference picture of one the dogs she rescued from a shelter. I hope to be putting together some paintings that she will buy.

Started out by transferring the reference with Saral paper.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406472106.358378.jpg

Started by laying down some Burnt Umber to build the shadows and texture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406472173.124746.jpg

Also put down a thin layer of Paynes Grey in the background because most of the background is on the cool side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406472255.333432.jpg

Building more depth on the dog, here is what I have done so far.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406472335.773410.jpg

Looking great bud, i knew you would get loads from the Dru course, he is such a nice guy and great teacher....'so damn easy, right'!!!

Started adding the backflush with Paynes Grey on the curtains in the background.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406506296.742898.jpg

Matched the base tone of the wall paint with some orange, killing the chroma a bit with some blue. Then a magenta/yellow/green to tint the wall paint and being it to a value of 5 as in the reference.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406506360.544857.jpg

Added some blue orange to the cabinets in the background as well as deepened the shadows on the curtains with Sepia Smoke. Some base shadows were also added with the Sepia Smoke.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406506537.144804.jpg

Here is where I am at right now.
Some more Blue and Violet added to the cabinets to add depth, the. The highlights were erased again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406506663.070633.jpg

Ahhh, you're losing me now with all the talk of values and numbers Lol! Just got a neck ache looking up as that whizzed right over my head :)! The pic however is looking fab!

Ahhh, you're losing me now with all the talk of values and numbers Lol! Just got a neck ache looking up as that whizzed right over my head :)! The pic however is looking fab!
Not too outlandish Trish. :)
Value is just a scale of how dark the color is. I use a scale from 1-10. So the wall color is a mid tone.

I'm just scared of numbers :confused: Lol. Mid tone I get.
They are not interchangeable though. I can mix a midtone for a flesh color, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be in the middle of the value scale.
In most cases Value is the most important part of a painting. Even if the colors and saturation are off, you can still tell what a painting is. If the value is off, it loses it's form and goes to hell. :)

Back