JB Weld Saves the Day

crewchief227

Needle-chuck Ninja
So some of you might remember my post awhile ago about dropping my CM-SB, and it hitting my metal base of my chair, tearing my nozzle, and breaking the stem off my 1/4oz side cup. Well I can't currently afford to order a new one, I will soon though be able to order new nozzles, needles, and air caps for my Microns. In the mean time I was cleaning them, and pulled out the broken side cup. I should have taken pics before I repaired it, but I had an interesting look at how iwata builds these. The steam is sealed on the back end, and has a tiny, and I do mean tiny, on the side wall in the 6 o'clock position. The inner part of the cup also has a tiny hole in the 6 o'clock position. So without any glue I just pressed the stem in, lining up the two holes the best I could, threw some AB cleaner in it, and bam it worked! But, the stem came off, and got stuck in the AB when I tried to remove it. So I needed a permanent fix.

Off to YouTube I went, researching the best epoxies I could find. Turns out original JB Weld & Devcon came out on top when tested by numerous youtubers. So I went to Home Depot and got some JB. Stuck the cup and stem in my ultrasonic cleaner so I could get any residue off it. Hand cleaned again with some alcohol so that there would not be any residue. Mixed up the JB with toothpicks, applied a couple dabs, let dry for 24 hours and boom I have a fully functional side cup again. I didn't put any on the inside of the cup where paint could get to it, as I didn't want to see what happens to JB after being exposed to all sorts of paints & solvents. Still would like a new one, just cause I like rotating cups with different colors, along with sometimes up to 4 brushes in a single season. I am so grateful to have my lidded cup back. It's not perfect like iwata does it, but it should hold for a long time.
http://imgur.com/gallery/OQd14C9

@crewchief227 There's just been a post about cups for the SB which I have replied to.
https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/for-those-using-sb-sbs.20951/

I have an old Aztek 3000 now made by Testors. The little plastic cups that they make fit perfectly without any adapters. Cheap option for a replacement till you can afford the extortionate Iwata prices.

Lee
Thanks for the link. I might try those someday. Good news is that by Wednesday I'll be placing probably a $400 order with Coast in just parts. Well we will see if I can sneak in a HiLine C under the misse's radar. :thumbsup::D

See I was wondering if that's what they used. You can just hit that with a torch right?
Pretty much yeah, its a pretty high melt point so it takes a little care on thin pieces but its pretty easy BC if you put a thin ring and heat it the tight joints suck it right up. I think a little butane pencil torch would do a cup.

JB Weld is probably my all-time favorite adhesive. There are other options that are better for some specific tasks, but when you need to glue dissimilar materials or metal to metal, accept no substitutes. Takes forever to set, but once cured the bond is bloody indestructible. Love the stuff.

As long as you don't put anything with a really hot solvent through the cup (like acetone, or Naked Gun cleaner), it should last forever.

Aztek cups great. Possibly better than the actual Iwata cups, and certainly more practical. Cheap as chips, lots of size and config options, and super lightweight so they don't effect the brush's balance.

Back