Just a little heads up for new Eclipse buyers

Leakyvalve

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I saw this pop up on ebay and noticed how old the box looked. But look at bullet point no. 2. Yep, at one point Iwata didn't even use a needle packing. Now that isn't the end of the world, but it certainly might not be noticed by someone looking for an Eclipse. Funny how they were "annoying" back then. I think a needle packing is mandatory for a bottom feed and a bonus for a gravity feed.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

That's been mentioned a few times here.

I'm not entirely convinced the needle seal being there at all was ever actually a great idea.

My TC model A side feed doesnt have one. Just have to occasionally clean behind the hole.
In exchange for never worrying about a seal to adjust, replace or create trigger drag.

Surface tension of a liquid actually creates a pretty good seal if the hole is fairly tight to the needle.

That's been mentioned a few times here.

I'm not entirely convinced the needle seal being there at all was ever actually a great idea.

My TC model A side feed doesnt have one. Just have to occasionally clean behind the hole.
In exchange for never worrying about a seal to adjust, replace or create trigger drag.

But one of the problems is that if that hole ever gets hurt, it may be toast. I had a Crescendo which had the pressed in teflon seal. Somehow I damaged it and that thing would pulsate no matter what. I sent it to Badger, and they just sent me a new body and my old one back. But that is a bottom feed, which I believe is way more sensitive to being sealed up in the paint channel.

As far as on a gravity feed, it isn't all that necessary. I run mine at about 10% drag. Only to wipe most of the needle when I remove it. I've run them looser and still never got paint in the trigger area.

I do not believe that a needle packing has the ability to effect the paint or spraying behavior on any brush. I have read quite a few accounts of people curing issues by adjusting the packing, but find it much more likely that something else they altered while getting to the packing, or after adjusting it, was the actual cure to their issue.

On the older Iwata's, they were actually counting on the characteristics of the more common paints at that time to create a packing - as Robby alluded to earlier, by having paint dry in the channel.

I do not believe that a needle packing has the ability to effect the paint or spraying behavior on any brush. I have read quite a few accounts of people curing issues by adjusting the packing, but find it much more likely that something else they altered while getting to the packing, or after adjusting it, was the actual cure to their issue.

On the older Iwata's, they were actually counting on the characteristics of the more common paints at that time to create a packing - as Robby alluded to earlier, by having paint dry in the channel.

Yes like stripping down the gun, clean the needle shank and that cured the tip dry.

The Vega 1000 and 2000, and Omni 4000 and 6000 don't have needle seals. Dave Monnig of Coast Airbrush told me that Iwata tried it but long term wear was a problem. My Vega 2000 is siphon fed and works just fine. There is zero drag on the needle.

Don

The Vega 1000 and 2000, and Omni 4000 and 6000 don't have needle seals. Dave Monnig of Coast Airbrush told me that Iwata tried it but long term wear was a problem. My Vega 2000 is siphon fed and works just fine. There is zero drag on the needle.

Don

Diamond Don, you need to stop by more often. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

I wonder what Dave meant by "long term wear"? My first instinct would be the hole got too big and they started having leaking and possibly suction problems.

Diamond Don, you need to stop by more often. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

I wonder what Dave meant by "long term wear"? My first instinct would be the hole got too big and they started having leaking and possibly suction problems.
I think Dave just said "long term wear" 'cause it sounded good... I have brushes that are 70 years old that have no needle packing now, and never did. They work just fine ;). I also have one that has a cool packing set up that will allow me to remove it while in use, and have never seen not a lick of difference in performance while fooling around with it.

I think Dave just said "long term wear" 'cause it sounded good... I have brushes that are 70 years old that have no needle packing now, and never did. They work just fine ;). I also have one that has a cool packing set up that will allow me to remove it while in use, and have never seen not a lick of difference in performance while fooling around with it.
You may be right. I didn't ask him to clarify. I would think the wear would be minimal. Iwata may have had other reasons to change.
Don

Back