For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

lady and HP SB++ test wip

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Ronald art, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I had time to play around with the airbrush that got me started and upgraded it with new and custom parts
    I was never able to use paint straight from the bottle with this airbrush and back in the days I used plain water to thin my etac efx down
    with the custom parts and the Sn1 needle I am able to use this airbrush the way I use my micron : paint straight up in this case Etac efx paynes grey

DSCN1377.JPG
    PogArt, jord001, J000seph and 4 others like this.
  2. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

This is looking very nice already Ron. It’s very interesting to hear the needle have this effect too. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 likes this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Nice start Ron,
    What do you think made the difference for you to be able to spray EFX straight from the bottle ? was the previous needle/nozzle badly clogged or damaged?
    jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  4. Ronald art

the HP nozzle was clean and not damaged but the original needle is not polished to a high standard and with my vision I am not able to polish a needle any more the SN 1 needle makes the difference that allows me to drop the pressure and spray the etac efx as it is
    I know it is no big deal but there is a little catch : I found out I cant controle thinned down paint the way I used to do before I lost part of my sight as I cant see if the paint is wet or dry so I tried if I could control the paint without thinning it down and O found out it was no problem at all with the micron with the k33 needle and with the SN1 needle as long as I keep the pressure low and dont go to close to the paper and even if it was more or less a gamble I ordered the SN 1 needle for the HP hoping it would do the trick and sure enough it works like a charm
    jord001, JackEb, doc1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ronald art

yesterday evening when I was done painting I left the remaining paint in the cup and didnt clean the airbrush , this evening I picked up the airbrush and did a test spray out like I always do as to be expected the airbrush had a little trouble spraying but this was with the same low pressure I used to get this painting started so I gave it a bit more pressure and did a second test spray out this time the paint just flowed out like I used a clean airbrush I pulled out the needle and it came out clean to the eye so I wiped it between my fingers to see if there was any paint on the needle and to be real honest I did notice a little paint on my finger so it wasnt real clean but clean enough to work with .
    while I had the back end off I pulled the needle guide out and lubed the moving part with the rocket balm to see if I could adjust the needle spring to a even softer setting and I could but not much as it already was set real soft
    I worked on the lady a bit more to get the basics in and switched to the 0.5 revolution to do the basic background
    DSCN1378.JPG
    Franc Kaiser, PogArt, jord001 and 3 others like this.
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great news on the new needle working so good, painting is coming on well, it shows that you have more control.

Lee
  7. PogArt

PogArt Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

It's another very interesting concept Ronald!
    It's nice to hear you're getting comfy and familiar using your upgraded/renewed airbrush ;)
    Ronald art likes this.
  8. Ronald art

thanks Lee , it is the lower Dave G trigger that gives me the control over the HP back and I will put a lower trigger in my micron as well now I know how much trigger control it gives me
  9. Ronald art

a pic says more than words the CM V2 on the left has the F1 trigger the HP on the right now has the male threads like the CM to allow me to preset the needle spring as soft as I like and the low DG right hand trigger that gives the HP the same instant response to the trigger as the CM I had to adjust the needle stop as the HP needle is longer and I did not want to cut the back end of a 3 mm drill just trough the needle stop did the trick
    DSCN1384.JPG
    SiRoxx, doc1 and PogArt like this.
  10. Ronald art

I switched back the CM SB with the DG trigger to see if there is much difference between the 2 airbrushes and the answer is no not really both can do details the CM SB just a tiny bit easier mind you both have the same set up and SN1 needles
    any way I worked on some details and values and I am close to call this one finished
    DSCN1387.JPG
    SiRoxx, CHÉRIE, doc1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. CHÉRIE

CHÉRIE Mac-Valve Maestro!

Looking great! Love the subject too!:eek:
    Ronald art likes this.
  12. Ronald art

I will check this painting one more time tomorrow for anything I want or need to change before I am calling this one done
    DSCN1388.JPG
    PogArt, erwin de pan and SiRoxx like this.
  13. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Great work Ron, I really like the composition and the lighting in this one. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Ronald art

I found the ref on pixabay and I cant take credits for the photoshop skills nor the composition but thank you :)
    SiRoxx and PogArt like this.
  15. Ronald art

I checked and tweaked this painting today and I am calling this one finished now , it was a great test for my trusty old HP SB+ with the upgraded parts from DaveG and Robbyrocket
    the low right handed trigger is a winner in my book and theSN1 needle lifted this old airbrush up from a good airbrush to a excellent airbrush that can compete with the micron with ease
    DSCN1392.JPG
    doc1 and PogArt like this.
  16. PogArt

PogArt Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I'm happy for you,that you've finished that painting.
    I know the ref photo isn't your idea, but whole concept is very intriguing.
  17. Ronald art

thanks Artur :D
    PogArt likes this.