For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Landscape Brittany

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Micha der Wolf, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

For me as a portrait lover and black and white fan, this project meant a huge change. I had to reach into the paint pot and practically forced myself out of my "comfort zone".
    I find it a challenge, unlike a black-and-white portrait, to capture that sense of vastness and size that makes a landscape so typical.
    In addition to the geometric rules of perspective, which also apply to depictions of nature, the atmospheric perspective must also be taken into account. That is, the colors fade the more they move toward the background or horizon. They lose their chroma / saturation and increasingly turn to the horizon. Furthermore, usually the entire middle and foreground in the focus and thus relatively sharp.
    I always admire the painters of the romance, they captured these impressive landscapes without camera or smartphone and painted atmospheric pictures.
    Impressive performance, considering that today we can use a finished photo as a template!
    But now philosophize enough!

Since I wanted a solid, erasable and only slightly absorbent surface in this image, I primed an HDF plate with a commercially available white pigmented acrylic primer. (e.g., Caparol Adhesion Primer) After dry sanding with 800 grit sandpaper and good cleaning, the substrate is ready prepared.
    I start by transferring the image to the ground. To do this, I blacken the back of the printout with a HB pencil. HB is quite sufficient, because I would rather have the transmission lines weak so that they are well covered with color. The template I stick to the top of the picture and can if necessary synonymous later times "flipping" to check the position and location of individual image areas. After the transfer, I start with the area furthest away: the sky
    3neu.jpg 9neu.jpg
    The sky blue is a matter of its own. I finally mixed it with Cyan, Ultramarine, Sephia and Black. 3: 3: 1: 1. Over the white background I have sprayed in very thin layers, this 1: 1 diluted with water mix. In doing so, I pay attention from top to bottom to get brighter in the direction of the horizon
    8neu.jpg
    Now you can start with the clouds. Here I mix a shade of gray from the sky blue mixture, white and Sephia, ratio about 1: 1: 1. With this mixture I spray cloudy cloud formations. As I first spray the dark and lower areas of the clouds, I leave the areas free where later the white cloud areas will be. The white areas I spray with pure white. The gradations between white and gray, I adjust several times.
    11neu.jpg 14neu.jpg 17neu.jpg
    The sky is now perched above the scene and I work my way forward in the picture. The coastal strip to the right in the background is now freehand with a mixture of cloud blue + sky gray + black in the ratio 1: 1: 1. The color was determined by remixing. At first, the hue looks dark in front of the bright sky, but that relativises very quickly when the closer coastal areas are created. Again and again funny, how the color perception plays tricks!
    29neu.jpg 30neu.jpg 33neu.jpg 37neu.jpg
    On this coast are blurry buildings recognizable, these are represented with eraser and Fiberpen. In order not to make it appear too radiant, I spray once more thinly on the coastal hue above.
    doc1, Darren, J000seph and 2 others like this.
  2. Micha der Wolf

In the next step you go far ahead in the picture. The wooded coastal section in the middle ground requires richer shades. Darker shades of green, yellowish Sephia tones and partly black for the darkest areas between the trees. Sprayed freehand, the leaves are quite a burden. One can also use texture templates for the sheet structures, e.g. the grunge design that many stencil manufacturers have in their range. I build up the structures slowly, layer by layer. Since I only dilute very little here, I give a little more pressure. But beware, this increases the danger of "spiders"!
    39neu.jpg 42neu.jpg 48neu.jpg
    The picture gets more and more depth. On the one hand by the steady increase in saturation, as well as by the clearer structures and forms that are now in the foreground.
    Now the bushes and bushes in the left area are in focus. The colors correspond to those in the middle ground, but have hardly any white or black parts and are very strong. With freehand spraying or stencil work, the foliage is worked out. Again, color will be "readjusted" at the end.
    50neu.jpg 51neu.jpg
    Below the bush are loosely piled stones. The are drawn by ebb and flow and overgrown in the lower area with all sorts of "stuff". I start spraying the structures of the rocks along the joints and hollows with Sephia and Black. Similar to an underpaint, I work out the structures and shades of the stones. I also use different erasers. The coloring is given to the stones with a mixture of white and sephia, which gives a warm gray, just right for the Breton granite! The "fouling" is later created when painting the beach.
    54neu.jpg 58neu.jpg 63neu.jpg 64neu.jpg
    doc1, Darren, J000seph and 2 others like this.
  3. Micha der Wolf

Now it's the ocean's turn. The challenge is to work from the "hazy" and featureless horizon towards the beach. Here the colors are clearer and the structures clearly visible. As a color mixture, I continued to use the sky blue and continued to digest it with the addition of Sephia, Black and White. In the front area, the white and black parts decrease again, it becomes more transparent.
    73neu.jpg 76neu.jpg
    For the wave structure, I used a template that I designed myself. I drew and scanned the water texture and then created a vector file from it. My colleague, Matthias Miehtke has then kindly lasered the stencils!
    Super work @Mr. Matze !
    85neu.jpg 86neu.jpg
    The structures of the template start very fine and become progressively coarser towards the front. This creates the perspective and width on the water surface. With the Glasfaserradierstift I create the "whitecaps" and bright reflections on the water surface. In the front area I spray again the "sky blue" over the water surface, in order to increase the saturation of the color.
    89neu.jpg
    Completion of the landscape forms the beach. He is in the foreground, the structures are clear, the colors full. I mix the basic color of white Sephia and Goldocker. I spray this clay relatively evenly, but in areas where there are shells and flotsam spray over it again. I spray darker "wet" areas with a heavily diluted mixture of Sephia and Phthalo green. Seaweed and dark clams are sprayed with Sephia pure, but beware of spider formation. Now several passes are done with various erasers to create even more sandy structures. Shells are created with the glass fiber eraser. Last action is the transition to the rocks. Here I adjust the colors and reinforce again the shades of the stones and seaweed with Sephia and black.
    93neu.jpg 97neu.jpg 103neu.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    m3ntalo, doc1, Darren and 3 others like this.
  4. Micha der Wolf

Heavens ready, horizon ready, coast finished, ocean and beach ready, but still something important is missing. Right, the many small boats lying in the bay!
    The arrangement of boats and buoys additionally supports the perspective. Similar to telegraph poles on a road that are getting smaller and smaller towards the horizon, the buoys and boats are getting smaller towards the back. Outlines of boats I transfer with a pencil and the template on a water surface. The black boat hulls I cut directly from the picture and use them as a template. The masts, superstructures and sails of the boats are scratched and erased. For this I use scalpel and Glasfaserradierer. I draw dark lines with a Polychromos colored pencil black. Details in the superstructures and the shadows of the hulls and the buoys I spray with a mixture of Sephia and Prussian blue.
    110neu.jpg 111neu.jpg 114neu.jpg 118neu.jpg 131neu.jpg

Strangely enough, not a single seagull was seen on this day! So I did not paint any!

The finished painting! 70x50cm
    147neu.jpg
    I hope you liked this step by step tutorial and it inspires you a bit to "tackle" this topic and to implement other great landscapes as a picture.
    Maybe a "romantic" is sleeping in you?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

That’s a fantastic SBS Micha, very nicely written and put together. Great to see @Mr. Matze has assisted in this piece too. It’s a beautiful painting, thank you for sharing the picture and the SBS with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micha der Wolf likes this.
  6. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

Awesome step by step and beautiful painting.
  7. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Great step by step. I’m glad you went outside of your comfort zone.
  8. Micha der Wolf

I am glad that I dared!;)
    J000seph likes this.
  9. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Wow, you’re giving us the full treatment! I will study this in detail.
  10. MarcosD

MarcosD Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Love it!! Thanx Micha!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  11. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Micha, you mention you use different pressure levels. I am curios - which ones do you normally use, for diluted paint, and for undiluted ones?
  12. AndreZA

AndreZA Love this place! Forum Supporter Very Likeable!

Great work sir. Congratulations on the publication. Did they not ask you to not publish it anywhere else for 3 months after it's been published in the magazine? They asked me that.
  13. Micha der Wolf

Thank you Andre!
    Ok, no, I'm not aware now. Thanks for the hint. I'll see.
    Not that I was too euphoric, then I have to change that!
  14. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Love this place! Artist of the Month! Forum Supporter Very Likeable!

Excellent work, lovely painting one of the most realistic landscapes I have seen :thumbsup:
  15. Micha der Wolf

So, this sbs is on again! Viel Spaß!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G390F mit Tapatalk
    LadyCharlie likes this.
  16. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

Glad to see it back on where you can show it.
  17. LadyCharlie

LadyCharlie Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Fantastic, Micha. Thank you so much for sharing.