Leaving airbrushing and selling EVERYTHING!

Phew! SO glad you changed your mind. Your wife sounds like an amazing lady, next time you feel down or frustrated, just remember she obviously has faith in you, and can see the potential you have. The day you present her with something you painted, that will mean so much to her on a personal and emotional level, the look on her face will make everything worthwhile. Just remember it is not a race, and there is no finish line. You will always be learning, just allow yourself to do that at a pace that will let you achieve want you want to do over time. If it takes a day, a week or a month or a year to master a technique so what, it's still moving in the right direction, and once you've got it, you will find there is something else you will want to perfect, and as long as you want to do it, you will. Accept the progress you are making, look at how far you've come, and try not to focus too much on reaching an end goal, because I don't believe there is one. You will get to a point you thought you wanted to reach, and realise there's so much more still to learn, or different syles still to try, or your own styles to develop, etc, etc, etc. I think you will do fine, especially with the support you have from the mrs!

LOL, sometimes I need to take my own advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro, it is good that you're back. Now, find some reference pictures that you're passionate about (women, skulls, roses, birds and the bees, more women) and start painting those. if you like what you're painting, i guarantee that it will come out looking awesome.

Thanks.
I do intend to get back into it again very soon.
My first attempt is going to be my recreation of a piece done in acrylic on canvas which features three Calla Lillies in a Still Life setting.
After that, its HR Giger style all the way. Been a huge fan of his Bio Mech work for many years. I have emulated his style in some of my tattoo work and graphite & ink illustrations.
Those will definitely get posted for review when completed.

Welcome back :)
We are so happy we did not loose a brother here :)
Now lets start from the beginning together. Lets start with the basics as if you just started airbrushing and never touched these things before..
Everyone here will assist you and help you along the way. Just have fun this time and forget perfection for now..focus on education instead.

Thanks to your wife who supported you during these hard times and you are lucky to have someone like her by your side..now you know your next painting will be something for her ;)

B

Thanks.
I do intend to get back into it again very soon.
My first attempt is going to be my recreation of a piece done in acrylic on canvas which features three Calla Lillies in a Still Life setting.
After that, its HR Giger style all the way. Been a huge fan of his Bio Mech work for many years. I have emulated his style in some of my tattoo work and graphite & ink illustrations.
Those will definitely get posted for review when completed.

H.R.Giger now your talking ... I have been a fan of his since the first time I saw his work about back in the 80's .
I think when learning a new art form it can get you upset to the point you just want to chuck the whole ideal. I have a few friends who have went from being airbrush artist to being tattoo artist and the find out very fast that it is a whole different world.
Just stick to it and like tattooing you will be on top of your game in no time.
Your skull looks good.

Glad to have you back D. We have all been to that point in some way or another. Sucks that you have lost your works as a result of it but look at it as a complete fresh start and now you will be pushed to get some more art hanging around the house again. If we live and dwell in the past then we can never move forward to better things.
Also you will love wicked, and your wife seems to be a great lady :)

Also hope that you didn't take my previous statement as I was even considering you as a meth head. It was just a little joke to lighten the mood in hopes to make you smile, because everyone thinks better with a smile on your face..... Just like a jet ski...... You ever seen someone on a jet ski that isn't smiling ;)

Josh

The outpouring support from everyone who has commented is a bit overwhelming and yet quite comforting.
I have not participated in any other airbrush forums, but I have been involved in several forums regarding my photography business and forums regarding other creative interests.
The people here are bar far the friendliest, and most willing to support and assist others, that I have ever seen anywhere.
I do feel that I have found my "home" for learning, and sharing.
I will stick with this and apply more effort in developing a positive (learning) approach in future airbrushing attempts.

...Also hope that you didn't take my previous statement as I was even considering you as a meth head. It was just a little joke to lighten the mood in hopes to make you smile, because everyone thinks better with a smile on your face..... Just like a jet ski...... You ever seen someone on a jet ski that isn't smiling ;)

Thanks Seamonkey, I did not take any offense from your statement. I saw it just as you describe here.

Sucks that you have lost your works as a result of it but look at it as a complete fresh start and now you will be pushed to get some more art hanging around the house again. If we live and dwell in the past then we can never move forward to better things.

I am looking at this as just such an opportunity.
Its all "brand new" again.

I have to say I am totally chuffed with your decision to continue Darren, artists are commonly known for self criticism, but also for being somewhat over emotional sometimes, and believe me I am totally guilty in that respect, so we can't accept that one of our own has to stop with something they will end up loving, we are a bit like gypsies, you hit one we all fall down, lol

At the time of writing this post, you had 15 posts, if every one of those was a question related only to airbrushing technique, it still wouldn't be enough, that what I meant when i said just ask, we are all here to help, and I know everyone does that with pride, I don't know everything, but what I do know I share because it gives the feeling of giving something back and that it's not always take take take, you have a photographic background and you would be amazed just how important that can be in airbrushing and any other kind of art, it will help with composition for one thing and probably even planning.

Like I say I'm no expert but the composition aspect shows in the one piece you posted here, the layout is excellent, and the only thing I can see wrong is the one thing that horrified us all in the beginning and that is the dreaded blue shift, however, I don't doubt that you've read since you did that piece that the cure is a drop of orange in your white, so you definitely can't say you've learned nothing.

Help us to keep you on track, and when you start something else and you get stuck, post a quick pic and it will get sorted, I would be a liar if I said we don't laugh at each other, but when we do it has nothing at all to do with our airbrushing skills or my case the lack of them, lol

Glad to hear there is a happy ending to this story. Glad you decided to stick around. Sorry to hear about your art work though,but your skull came out pretty cool. Keep at it and just remember to have fun. That's what it is all about right? Doing what you love to do and enjoying it while you do it!!! Props to your wife for her support and quick whit and getting your brushes away from you before you did something you would regret!!

Exactly my own thoughts! But not right. I have been going on for some years, making almost nothing. The big problem here in Norway was to find paint for airbrush. I tried a lot of things that was useless, but after I found a serious store that has paint, good tools and very skilled people, things have improved a lot. Now I have 2 Iwatas, and 3 Harder & Stenbecks in addition to the two cheap Chinese airbrushes I started with. They became quite good when I polished the needles properly (drill and some polishing compound on some felt). I have been struggling for a long time. My landlord has given me strict order: No painting! So this last summer I have been practicing in a wood shed with bad lighting and rain coming thru the roof. I had to move out of there before the paint started freezing. We passed 3ft of snow by Christmas time. Now I'm moving so I can practice my almost useless painting in a place where I hope to improve my skills. I'm still quite bad, but I want to make this work. Have a look at my T-shirts, as you can see, its hope for everybody. These things sell easily.

...Now, find some reference pictures that you're passionate about (women, skulls, roses, birds and the bees, more women) and start painting those...

LOL! That may cause the wife to renege on the return of my AB equipment.

Just paint her face on them and tell her that's how you see her - you'll be in the good books for sure :)

Artist rage can run deep, it's almost always fueled by frustration. Airbrushing can really bring it out in artists that already have had success in other mediums. My girlfriend laughs at me when I yell at my airbrush about how a frickin pencil has never completely ruined an entire piece of art in a split second... and if it did, I would know how to fix it. :smile-new: And I also like to threaten to go back to straight digital artwork (undo, redo, and save as...).

But not to worry, some trial and error on paint mixtures and that'll settle down. And muscle memory will kick in at some point,(like anything) and you'll find yourself focusing on just the art of it, not so much the tool in your hand or the chemistry of the paints.

Check out the "Airbrush Tutor" tab (next to the "Gallery" tab) at the top part of the site page, then you can go down to "Airbrush Downloads" towards the bottom, and it's got a bunch of printable worksheets that really do help kickstart the muscle memory. They all have a YouTube video to go with 'em to see it all being done. Judging by the skull you did and the fact that you already think like an artist, you'll get it. I still have relatively little airbrush control, but I have found ways to work around it, lol. (Oh, and maybe start handing your finished art to your wife to put out of reach for the first little while.:distrust:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following this and glad you are not giving up been there some times all it takes is a break don't sell what ya got it's always hard to get new equip but don't feel bad if you need to walk away for a few it's much better knowing it's there if you need it.

Back