Line issues

Vince Driver

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hi guys and girls. Going back to some of the basics as I believe I may have tried to advance too soon. Having a problem with my lines most of the time. I seem to get a dot at the start and stop points. I am moving the brush with air on and then back for paint, when at the end of line, with brush still moving and air on I release paint and get the dot. Wicked Paints, reduced to 6 drops reducer to 3 drops paint. Krome and 18 PSI. Thanks in advance.

Sound like tip dry due to your paint is not thin enough. Wicked suggest 1 drop paint per 3 drops reducer @ 35 psi with a .35 set up so for the .18 @ about 20 PSI you should be more like 1 drop paint to 6 or more drops reducer,
Low Pressure with thick paint will cause tip dry faster in some cases then to thin with to high of pressure.

Sound like tip dry due to your paint is not thin enough. Wicked suggest 1 drop paint per 3 drops reducer @ 35 psi with a .35 set up so for the .18 @ about 20 PSI you should be more like 1 drop paint to 6 or more drops reducer,
Low Pressure with thick paint will cause tip dry faster in some cases then to thin with to high of pressure.
Thanks @Mr.Micron. Could that also be why sometimes my needle doesn't move forward all the way? Have to lightly push it sometimes to stop the light paint flow.

Thanks @Mr.Micron. Could that also be why sometimes my needle doesn't move forward all the way? Have to lightly push it sometimes to stop the light paint flow.
That sounds like the needle not seating properly in the nozzle, you shouldnt have to push forward to stop the paint flow.

Soak the nozzle in some restorer is you have it, or reducer if you dont. remove any rubber seals prior or they'll get destroyed. use a long bristled artists brush and agitate inside the nozzle, gently push one or two hairs through the nozzle and be amazed at the coloured worms that emerge, once you stop getting anything come out you can then reassemble the airbrush. when you insert the needle you should feel it seat in the nozzle nicely, if it feels sticky/spongy then its still dirty.
Make sure you clean the threads of the aircap and nozzle cap and then seal with a little beeswax/lip balm when putting them back on.

That sounds like the needle not seating properly in the nozzle, you shouldnt have to push forward to stop the paint flow.

Soak the nozzle in some restorer is you have it, or reducer if you dont. remove any rubber seals prior or they'll get destroyed. use a long bristled artists brush and agitate inside the nozzle, gently push one or two hairs through the nozzle and be amazed at the coloured worms that emerge, once you stop getting anything come out you can then reassemble the airbrush. when you insert the needle you should feel it seat in the nozzle nicely, if it feels sticky/spongy then its still dirty.
Make sure you clean the threads of the aircap and nozzle cap and then seal with a little beeswax/lip balm when putting them back on.
Thanks @JackEb . I think I keep it pretty clean. I break it down after every paint session. Soak the spray regulator and nozzle in cleaner over night and reassemble the next day. Also use a small fine brush to clean.

Thanks @JackEb . I think I keep it pretty clean. I break it down after every paint session. Soak the spray regulator and nozzle in cleaner over night and reassemble the next day. Also use a small fine brush to clean.
But if you have to push the trigger forward to stop paint flow then the needle isn’t seating properly, which mean the needle/nozzle is either dirty or damaged.
Paint flow should stop the minute you stop pull back.

excessive tip dry will cause the needle not to seat in . Sometimes you will have to just pull the needle all the way back to clear the build up.

well thats A LOT of tip dry :laugh:
Yes it is but I have found out that if you paint is to thick and your pressure is way to low it will build up that much tip dry . Mainly cause it build on the needle on that small amount it moves back and acts like a needle stop.

So last night I tore the airbrush down. Removed the needle seal with a screwdriver and it seemed really tight. Cleaned it up good and put a very small amount of beeswax on the needle where it goes through the seal at. After putting it back together and reducing paint 6:1 no issues with lines or needle sticking. Attached pic not very clear but lines seem smooth, and dots are dots.
IMG_20180201_193337892-1312x738.jpg

The most important part is that you figure out what psi suit which reduction on paint. When you master that you will find very little tipdry issues, and your overall spray style will improve very much. Follow the Masters, they give a lot of little advise in threads when you expect it least, that is why I read all the new threads and look at the advise given to others regarding color issues, blending, AB maintenance, splatter etc and even advise on artwork, shading, lines etc, they are experts in their field and phenomenal artists, besides they not charging to help, as long as you receive critics with a smile and listen to what they said, practice what they say then you will be A for OK!

Back