MAC Valve Confusion

Baker7Zero

Double Actioner
Question about external MAC valves and their application: from my understanding, MAC valves don't control the air pressure, but restrict the flow of air. In practice, what is the difference between controlling the air pressure and restricting the airflow?

Follow up - any MAC valves that you would recommend?

in practice, there is no difference ;).

I hooked up a digital pressure gauge to my set up between a MAC valve, and an airbrush. As the MAC valve was closed (restricting flow), air pressure heading towards the airbrush also dropped. Closing a MAC valve lowers air pressure flowing across the nozzle.

My favorite MAC valve is the Grex G-MAC because it seems to have the broadest range of adjustment. Some are little more than an on/off switch with very little actual range. The G-MAC utilizes something like 3 full turns between on and off.

Last edited:
Dave G has said everything I was going to. I don’t use an external as my regulator is setup at my table so I can reach it easily. Some of my brushes have them fitted and I will use them from time to time.
I have heard lots of folks recommend the Grex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in practice, there is no difference ;).

I hooked up a digital pressure gauge to my set up between a MAC valve, and an airbrush. As the MAC valve was closed (restricting flow), air pressure heading towards the airbrush also dropped. Closing a MAC valve lowers air pressure flowing across the nozzle.

My favorite MAC valve is the Grex G-MAC because it seems to have the broadest range of adjustment. Some are little more than an on/off switch with very little actual range. The G-MAC utilizes something like 3 full turns between on and off.
thank you, appreciate it

Back