Made my own H&S caps for Microns

In my mind that is exactly the disadvantage of the k33, damage one and its done. At least anything that makes it special is done. Repair it and youve done away with the surface hardening. For now i stick with repairing the needle i have, which can be done at least 15 times before you need a new one, if not more.

I've never repaired a needle in my life, if I bend it, hook it or scrape and it's causing problems I just buy a new one so I can carry on doing what I bought that and the brush for in the first place.

The k33 needle was designed as one of the parts of pimped out k33 Micron, as were the Zolt springs, they started to sell the needles and the springs separately due to demand for those who didn't want to fork out for the pimped out version of the Micron, I've had a Micron and didn't like it, a better needle or spring wouldn't have changed my mind so I've never owned any of the pimped stuff, I don't know how the stuff is made and honestly could'nt care less, the chances of me ever buying anything from Foxy's are zero, I don't need a pimped micron or it's parts all of which can only be bought there, everything else sold there I can get far cheaper elsewhere.

My advice to anyone who doesn't like the price of the k33 or is doubtful of its integrity is just don't buy one.

I don't think anyone who doesn't own the needle or have any experience with it is in a position to trash it, personal opinions are fine but useless if not based on actual experience.

Last edited:
I've never repaired a needle in my life, if bend it, hook it or scrape and it's causing problems I just but a new one so I can carry on doing what I bought that and the brush for in the first place.

The k33 needle was designed as on of the parts of pimped out k33 Micron, as were the Zolt springs, they started to sell the needles and the springs separately due to demand for those who didn't want to fork out for the pimped version of the Micron, I've had a micron and didn't like it, a better needle or sprung wouldn't have changed my mind so I've never owned any of the pimped stuff, I don't know how the stuff is made and honestly could'nt care less, the chances of me every buying anything from Foxy's are zero, I don't need a pimped micron or it's parts all which can only be bought there, everything else sold there I can get far cheaper elsewhere.

My advice to anyone who doesn't like the price of the k33 or is doubtful of its integrity is just don't buy one.

I don't think anyone who doesn't own the needle or have any experience with it is in a position to trash it, personal opinions are fine but useless if not based on actual experience.
who's trashing it? Repairing does away with surface hardening..simple fact.

Opinion part was I just got done saying the material properties would be hard to beat without exotic materials and that i think they made great choice in material.

Last edited:
Yes, I now have two of them in use. I like them, and am not sorry for having spent the money. If you are looking for finer detail, you won't get that. If you are looking for painting, and not worrying about anything else, you get that. When I tested my first one, I didn't really notice any difference until it dawned on my how long I had been painting without picking at the tip dry... I have since gone to more closely trying to control the environment in my studio, and find this has done at least as much to eliminate annoying tip dry, so I don't sweat it too much.
See that's what I want. I mean I can spray a liner thin enough to practically split atoms with my Microns. Don't care, as most of the time you're way far back spraying gradients, but to curb tip dry is the real struggle. How long have you had yours? Has the coating lasted thru flushes, and full breakdowns?

who's trashing it? Repairing does away with surface hardening..simple fact.

Opinion part was I just got done saying the material properties would be hard to beat without exotic materials and that i think they made great choice in material.

I'm not disputing any of that, but if you've never owned the needle you just can't know enough about it to have any opinion on how it works or doesn't work, I certainly don't so I don't form any opinions, those here that do own them are more positive about them, as far as I can remember @markjthomson has actually had occasion to repair one and get it working as it should.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here noticing this but you seem to want to argue about anything and everything you see here, you have opinions on everything with little or no actual knowledge of most of what you respond to, the habit of responding to your own posts also seems strange, but no matter, I do know that you are being watched but in the meantime if you think I'm in your way here just say the word and im gone, I've had enough of your regurgitated nonsense.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing any of that, but if you've never owned the needle you just can't know enough about it to have any opinion on how it works or doesn't work, I certainly don't so I don't form any opinions, those here that do own them are more positive about them, as far as I can remember @markjthomson has actually had occasion to repair one and get it working as it should.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here noticing this but you seem to want to argue about anything and everything you see here, you have opinions on everything with little or no actual knowledge of most of what you respond, the habit of responding to your own posts also seems strange, but no matter, I do know that you are being watched but in the meantime if you think I'm in your way here just say the word and im gone, ive had enough of your regurgitated nonsense.
Mine was a standard micron needle not the k33... but it was well coozed then restored... just a little shorter!

A bit off topic, but in regard to the k33 needle. I bought one 3 years back and am still using it (well not at the moment I have a little airbrush break :p).

Having (ab)used it 24/7 for about 2,5-3 years I think I'm allowed to state with a degree of authority that this is indeed a very, very sturdy needle which stay's in perfect working condition.

About a year ago when I had some problems with my micron (turned out to be the head assembly) I switched needles during the trouble shooting and noticed that the by than nearly 2 years old k33 still outperformed a new needle.

And I'm still not getting paid to praise said needle :)

So I got to test a couple needle materials.

Tungsten is a no go.
Here's why
Some samples I had when flexed to yield would bend, some would simply snap....even with the same alloy grade and treatment.

Its so sensitive to contamination and it's heat treat that even along the same needle, parts are brittle, parts are not.
So you'd never know whether you had a good one or not. Until the tip snapped right off first time you bump it. If it didn't then the first time it's bent and repaired you may now be in a spot that will snap off.
I was using 99.95 pure.

High end 99.999 pure tungsten with a high end custom heat treat might be ok, but you'd be at about $400 for a needle....cost, not retail.

Last edited:
Yeah tungsten is used in Tig welding and those don't do anything but snap and break. It's tough stuff, but horrible for maleability.

I thought I was having a run of bad needles, and crappy performance from my Microns. Turns out a couple new nozzles, new air cap, and then new polished needle made a world of difference. The big factor was the air cap, which I used to clean with interdental brushes, no more, just ultrasonic cleaning from now on. The brushes opened up, and oblonged the air cap hole just enough to cause all my problems. I also been formulating a new reducer formula that has gone a long way in combating tip dry, so much so that I almost feel like selling it. Lol. Anyways with the new addition (HP-CH), and all new parts on my Microns I've been in spraying heaven for the last month. :thumbsup: Enough small talk time to go paint.

Back