Materials to use for cool textures

Looks nearly identical to fabric softener dryer sheets.

Yes and no this has larger openings in it and you do not have to use it first...LOL But in my opinion it gives a better effect than the dryer sheet ,
When we buy it at work it comes in a 40 inch wide by 400 yard roll , So for me I just grab some scrap when I need it.

Awesome thread.... you can also use the thinner vaccuum cleaner filters... I may have used one of them on my last portrait ;)

Someone did! He's called Ed Hubbs.

Ed has changed a lot of his videos since he no longer uses Kustom shop paint and only use HOK. so some of the older videos are no longer there. Also anyone who has belly guns 1 Mike learn ends the video show how to do lizard skin , snake skin, leather, chrome, organic muscle,and a couple of others.

Fiberglass wallpaper, very common over here, great texture for skin. Just get samples form the local hardwarestore, best things are for free!!

I've sprayed paint through everything I think will let it through, lol: furnace filters, cheap low thread count t shirts, tack cloths, paint brushes for fur, cheese cloth, window screen folded in random directions, scoth-brite pads that have most of the layers stripped back or cut to the shape I need then soften the edge by roughin' it up a little. I made a random texture 'stencil' by taking a piece of x-ray film out to the dirt road and grinding it into the gravel with my boot to tear random holes all over it. I hit with a sander to smooth it back out, and took a x-acto knife to clean up anything I didn't like.(I'm no Gerald Mendez, but it works, lol) I've used kitchen utensils for making mechanical patterns(cheese graters and potato mashers always have repeating patterns you can stack...) then hit it with some rust colored paint through a scotch-brite pad and it looks like old iron. You can try just about anything...

Ditto properlyStained, if it's laying around, isn't screwed down, and looks like paint will go through it, I'll give it a try, from old clothes to material off the front of a speaker, to chains, feathers, kitchen utensils, sponges, grill off a disposable bar-b-q, washers, brushes and combs, cotton wool, .......etc.....etc.......sometimes I even remember to ask if people are finished with it before I cover something with paint.....sometimes.

I'll have to go to lowes and see if they can give me a sample of fiberglass wallpaper!

don't stop there hit up all the different departments and see what they might have .. Also grab some paint chips form the paint department and use it for mixing paint...
Free is the best ..

Another way to get a clump of grass effect is to shoot a nice n wet glob of paint (won't work with uros though it dries too fast) and use your finger to pull out the grass. The ridges in your fingertips is what makes the grass texture.

Back